Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

Take Over Decayed Sunken Ships

I guess there is a forum post already, but can't find it if I search for "ship" or "boat".

With all the decayed sunken ships around I was thinking it would be awesome if you could take over or commandeer a ship that has like maybe 80% - 90% decay.

It would be like treasure hunting too (or decay house/deed hunting).  There are a few Cogs that are sunken that I wish I could take over since they about to decay away into nothing.  Just watching people's ships that haven't logged in for a few months is sad.

You can already take stuff from a house once one wall decays if someone isn't playing anymore....give us an option to take over these old ships.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 4

+1, watching how much of players' work, time, money turns into rubbish makes me cry. Maybe same for other transport? it's especially sad when the thing is rare.

Something along the lines of 'As the ship goes into disrepair, its lock slides off', happens when a ships quality falls below a set level or the damage goes above a certain level.

• Like 3

would be a very nice improvement to the game.. so many ships/carts/wagons ect left abandoned to rot away 

We used to have a Wurm ship salvage program where players could enter a public notice claim on an abandoned ship, a notice was posted in a special section of the forums only for ship salvage claims.

The owner had 30 or 60 days or something to assert their rights, and at the end the claimant could pay a claiming fee to the GM and the ownership would be turned over to them.

This was only for ships that were both unlocked and unmoored. If it was locked and moored, it was not "abandoned" and you could not claim salvage rights.

They stopped that practice. I don;t recall what reason if any they gave. It might have been considered as putting legitimate shipbuilders out of business, or it might be that shipowners did not appreciate coming back from a break to find their ships all gone and looted. Or it might have been GMs were getting too much work and could no longer go through the procedure to collect the fee and officially transfer ownership.  I assume they had a reason for ending the program and that they consider whatever-that-reason to be still valid.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

On WU I imagine GMs could manually implement a similar program.

Although I'd like to see it as an operational ingame mechanic. 

If this is ever to be made, it definitely should be a built-in mechanism, not anything forums-related, i believe.

+1 - really good suggestion. It takes months for ships to decay to that point anyway, so you can assume that the player doesn't need it anymore.

+1 if it is over 90 or 95% if it can be done thru game mechanic not GM intervention

-1 or you can just dump that nice rare boat on lava and claim it yourself later

Actually... I dont care if no one gets the boats... just let them decay quicker if not in perimeter or on your deed or per./deed of somebody youre in alliance with..

Prob. minus rowboat since that is the only one that free players can use... (i believe)

Edited by Victoria
  • Like 1

This problem won't go away.
I still think the developers are keeping this an issue because ghost ships make the server look more populated.
nothing else makes sense. we've been screaming about it for so very long.

Now that we can stop ppl repairing things on our deeds, i wish i could ask a GM to move the ones im cursed with, back on-deed.
But i'd just get laughed at woudln't i.

+1 for any and every solution

Edited by Steveleeb

I've supported this when i was just starting, but now i think otherwise:

For everything in Wurm 100dmg means loss. Should it be a house, then 100dmg on a single wall. That is known (or must be) to everyone who has ever built a house, because permissions won't work until all the ground floor walls are in place. Now you're suggesting to make 90dmg lead to loss. No, this is wrong.

Maybe if vehicles (especially rare) at 100dmg became something named like "remains of supreme Knarr" and could then be repaired within a week saving rarity (using materials or some parts or w/e, since it's basically not damaged anymore, but falling apart)... But this sounds too complex of a feature compared to its necessity.

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

I like that idea...." You see the remains of a ...vehicle/ship, there is a chance of repairing it. Do you wish to continue?" and have a Repair Feat equal to your skill level chance...MAYBE.

On 21/11/2015 at 9:00 PM, MrGARY said:

-1 or you can just dump that nice rare boat on lava and claim it yourself later

if it ain't locked or moored, you don't want it anyway... moot point, specially coming from a guy on a server where you can already take any boats you want.

+1

On 2/19/2017 at 7:06 PM, Odynn said:

if it ain't locked or moored, you don't want it anyway... moot point, specially coming from a guy on a server where you can already take any boats you want.

cute, but what happens if you set a boat to village/ally allow to command since you know they can't steal it on freedom normally but you want to be nice and helpful, so with command permission they can unmoor and move it to lava and steal your boat..

• Like 1

There is only one way to rid Wurm of filth abandoned stuff - increase decay speed off-deed even further.

If the OP suggestion is to be implemented, remove the deed restrictions to repair/improve for non-villagers' ships.

Nowadays we have those, which means that someone can hijack ships by keeping/extending their deed over them and forbidding repair, until they get to 90 dmg. Then poof, it'd be unlocked and it'd be a "deed object".

When the OP was posted, we didn't have that. It was posted when ships just might've gone to 90 dmg regardless of anyone's intervention, and under the assumption that anyone can simply find them at 90 dmg and take them over.

That might be a good idea or a bad idea, I'm just saying that it's a different idea than deeding over someone else's ship and be certain it'll be yours.

Edited by Anarres

+1 if off deed decay isn't increased, not all can park ships on deed....its its 90+ damage tho, its should be fair game! I park mine off deed, and repair them often

the situation isn't as chronic as it used to be, i believe measures have already been applied.
however. 
+1

edit - didn't realise this was a bump, i voted on this page 1.5 years ago. :)
ignore this plus 1

Edited by Steveleeb
double post

-1   too many ships around, they dont decay fast enough as it is... your just going to kill the market for shipbuilders...

yet again -1 for lazy people who refuse to make their own ships or too cheap to buy one