Sign in to follow this  
Mordraug

Taming Mod - Tame multiple creatures

The uniques are coming, not sure how feasable it is to adjust # of tame creatures to taming level but still, could be a fun approach to try if at very least the "1 tame creature at a time" limit were either lifted or made adjustable by server admins.

Thanks in advance to anyone who tackles this challenge.

• Like 1

+1

I agree and include it as part of an Animal Friends Mod that also unnerfs pets, makes champion animals large again. allows training wardogs and warpigs, and misc animals can pull carts regardless of age. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 5

+1 I am definitely interested in a mod like this and the Animal Friends Mod :)  I want to go back to the old days of having ole Butch - the champion wardog :) 

2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

+1

I agree and include it as part of an Animal Friends Mod that also unnerfs pets, makes champion animals large again. allows training wardogs and warpigs, and misc animals can pull carts regardless of age. 

Best suggestion ever made. +1.

Taming pets for battle and riding opens up such a huge area of the game that has long been neglected and nerfed in Wurm sadly.

Wurm is the game with the greatest potential to have an awesome pet system, along with the breeding and farming mechanics.

Also, hell hounds DO have a fuzzy tummy ^o^

(such a shameless bump, but adorable)

• Like 1

Pretty much yes to all the above.  I especially want all champs supersized.  Sure makes it hard to find those champs when the same size as all the others.

On 11/22/2015, 1:51:27, Mordraug said:

Also, hell hounds DO have a fuzzy tummy ^o^

(such a shameless bump, but adorable)

hahaha ikr :P

+1 for sure

was about to start new topic but saw this one... . I played on another older game that has been around for  a long time and they have a great system there for taming. They use a 5 slot systems where creatures are allotted a certain number of slots. Dragons for instance are the highest at 3 slots so as to prevent others from running around killing everything in the game. Other creatures are mostly allotted 1 slot each those being dogs, cows and chickens for instance. They could use that here to be able to say, tame two bears at 2 slots each and a horse allotted 1 slot(not that you want to run around with a tamed animal that will be killed by  a spider. ) Would be nice to breed bears and other aggro-creatures without the chance of killing  them. You could increase the chance, with more creatures tamed, based on skill level vs.   keeping them that way ...daily or such.  More could be done with the creatures though.

I have a few questions. 

1) Are pet commands necesary ie go here/clear orders

2) Would it be ok to have 1 loyal pet (which you could chose and change) which you can order.

3) What is a sensible time scale for how long a pet is tame for

I make no promises but I will try to take a look at the taming system over the weekend and try to make this if it is not to dificult

Edited by Webba

Based on my experience in Ultima Online I'd like to see commands like that game. 

http://www.uoguide.com/Pets

• Follow
The pet will follow the target until ordered to do otherwise.
  • Stop
The pet will cease all actions until ordered otherwise. While stopped, it will wander around in a similar fashion to a wild creature, but will not attack targets even if it is assaulted.
  • Come
The pet will attempt to go to your location using more advanced pathfinding methods then with the Follow command. Those with magical abilities may attempt to Teleport directly (but will fail due to ahouse related "bug fix"). As the pet will Stop upon reaching you this should only be used if it has gotten itself stuck somewhere.
  • Stay
The pet will stand still until ordered to do otherwise.
  • Guard
The pet will follow it's master and attack anything that assaults that person or itself. Only the active pet can actively guard, and any damage that pet deals is credited to the owner.
  • Kill
The pet will attack the target until either the victim or itself is dead. Once it has felled the enemy, it may attack any other creatures that are hostile towards it. The owner receives credit for all damage dealt within two minutes of giving this order - for long battles, it should be periodically repeated to ensure your character receives looting rights.
  • Drop
Causes bonded, non-pack creatures to drop whatever they might be carrying. Allows you to for eg. salvage arrows that might have been shot into your pet.
  • Release
The pet will be removed from your service. This will cause summoned creatures to disappear immediately, though monsters may use their new found freedom to attack you!

The main thing that needs to be changed is to remove the CR nerfs and the vehicle hitching limitation.

A cool, but likely complicated, change would be ways to train up your pets (and consequently increase CR). I'm not sure how you'd train them apart from hunting trips.

"#1)" Yes. Part of the fun of playing a tamer is the strategy of how to best make use of a pet.

"#2)" yes, one is enough. Although, again taking from UO. Its kinda fun commanding them around like chess pieces in a battle.

"# 3)" answer is an option so the sever owner can decided that.

The ability to tame more than one animal would be great.  I actually really like the "slots" concept as proposed above.  Just not sure how much of a deviation it is from existing code.

Regardless, Currently the code seems set that if you tame a 2nd animal, your first goes untame.  An alternative method for multiple animals would have to be implemented.  Attempting to tame beyond your skill simply results in the message akin to "You lack sufficient skill to control any more animals, let one free first".

Which results in the 2nd deviation from existing code - the ability to right click an existing pet and choose "untame". (something that I think has been asked for for years).

The other facet that has been brought up is the CR nerf a pet has.  I looked for this in the code but couldn't find anything.

Exciting stuff regardless.