Sign in to follow this  
Xenophen

Minimap, Full map overlay with personal tracker that can add waypoints, etc.

Subject says it all. I'd like either a link to a map overlay, or integrated map system with a minimap in the corner that shows where I am on the map.

I don't mean to bash, but this would be for my personal server, and personally, I want it for a more casual experience.

Sure the game isn't the same with it, but I'm in Wurm Unlimited modding because I desire a modified client.

I've tried researching to see if there were any gps type maps out there, and amazingly, anyone who's attempted has been shot down by weirdos who want to go outside and build a mud hut in real life.

I really hope someone has completed this, otherwise, I may just have to attempt it. I don't really enjoy scripting, but eh...

• Like 1

Granted its WU; however, I freely confess to being one of the "weirdos who want to go outside and build a mud hut in real life." So always been against anything even remotely resembling a satellite-aided mapping system.

Not that I'm against a WU server being modded into something with a different theme than the vanilla Wurm. Something sci-fi, apocalyptic, or whatever. Mad Max would be a good example... granted I'm probably still on a Fury Road rush. V8 V8!

here is a mini map script from unity, were we use in game cameras to set the mini map. And a smooth follow script. Problem is you cant change camera view in wurm so this is not a easy thing to do. but heres the scripts for any one who wants to try.

Spoiler

Mini-map script -- 
------------------------

@script ExecuteInEditMode()

var minimapSize : float = 2.0;
var offsetX : float = 10.0;
var offsetY : float = 10.0;
private var adjustSize : float = 0.0;

var borderTexture : Texture;
var effectTexture : Texture;
var minimapCamera : Camera;

function Update() { 
if (minimapCamera == null) return;

adjustSize = Mathf.RoundToInt(Screen.width/10);
minimapCamera.pixelRect = new Rect(offsetX, (Screen.height -(minimapSize * adjustSize)) - offsetY, minimapSize * adjustSize, minimapSize * adjustSize);

}

function OnGUI(){
if(borderTexture != null){
minimapCamera.Render ();
GUI.DrawTexture(Rect(offsetX, offsetY, minimapSize * adjustSize, minimapSize * adjustSize), effectTexture);
GUI.DrawTexture(Rect(offsetX, offsetY, minimapSize * adjustSize, minimapSize * adjustSize), borderTexture); }
}

END
------

Smooth follow script 
----------------------------

This camera smoothes out rotation around the y-axis and height.
Horizontal Distance to the target is always fixed.

There are many different ways to smooth the rotation but doing it this way gives you a lot of control over how the camera behaves.

For every of those smoothed values we calculate the wanted value and the current value.
Then we smooth it using the Lerp function.
Then we apply the smoothed values to the transform's position.
*/

// The target we are following
var target : Transform;
// The distance in the x-z plane to the target
var distance = 10.0;
// the height we want the camera to be above the target
var height = 5.0;
// How much we 
var heightDamping = 2.0;
var rotationDamping = 3.0;

// Place the script in the Camera-Control group in the component menu
@script AddComponentMenu("Camera-Control/Sm­ooth Follow")

function LateUpdate () {
// Early out if we don't have a target
if (!target)
return;

// Calculate the current rotation angles
var wantedRotationAngle = target.eulerAngles.y;
var wantedHeight = target.position.y + height; var currentRotationAngle = transform.eulerAngles.y;
var currentHeight = transform.position.y;

// Damp the rotation around the y-axis
currentRotationAngle = Mathf.LerpAngle (currentRotationAngle, wantedRotationAngle, rotationDamping * Time.deltaTime);

// Damp the height
currentHeight = Mathf.Lerp (currentHeight, wantedHeight, heightDamping * Time.deltaTime);

// Convert the angle into a rotation
var currentRotation = Quaternion.Euler (0, currentRotationAngle, 0);

// Set the position of the camera on the x-z plane to:
// distance meters behind the target
transform.position = target.position;
transform.position -= currentRotation * Vector3.forward * distance;

// Set the height of the camera
transform.position.y = currentHeight;

// Always look at the target
transform.LookAt (target);
} ENDS
-----------

Edited by lucifier
I put the script in a spoiler box makes the post cleaner :P

13 hours ago, Klaa said:

Granted its WU; however, I freely confess to being one of the "weirdos who want to go outside and build a mud hut in real life." So always been against anything even remotely resembling a satellite-aided mapping system.

If you don't like it, don't use it. That is how it works in the modding community. Nice try at your thinly veiled anti-maps soap box speech. I see right through it and remind you that your selfish BS doesn't fly here.

.@thread

We have access to the character's X.Y location. I plan to use this information in addition to Java buffered steam tools to grab a faction of the standard high resolution PNG file. I't would be a basic flat map. Although, there is that topography tool in the wurmAPI. The main thing I want to avoid is having to load the entire PNG file into memory. I'll need to figure out how to grab small sections of  PNG file using the character's X.Y location.

• Like 1

I really thought a minimap would be one of the first mods released.  I can't wait until we have one.

The game already has code that could be used/modified for one, take a look at the settlement plan at your token.

Edited by Ricowan

when it comes to already existent code, I forgot about the video buffer. There is a openGL buffer, I believe anyway, that can display the tile types from a top down perspective for the local area.

A while ago there was  bug with WO that showed this video buffer mini-map like image. 

this one will happen.  great thing is that mods are a user enabled feature, so nobody has to have it turned on if they don't want.

+1

Can we also have teleports? And is it possible to create something a la Xray from Minecraft, it's really annoying to have to mine through all those stupid rocks to get to the utmost iron vein. And can we also have the mod that would make all our items nodrop upon death? Also if we can stop decaying that would be totally cool. I don't understand why such mods are not yet released, they are essential for true Wurm experience!

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎22‎:‎36‎, Klaa said:

Not that I'm against a WU server being modded into something with a different theme than the vanilla Wurm. Something sci-fi, apocalyptic, or whatever. Mad Max would be a good example... granted I'm probably still on a Fury Road rush. V8 V8!

Its easy then, just don't use it. :)

3 hours ago, Briconnet said:

Can we also have teleports? And is it possible to create something a la Xray from Minecraft, it's really annoying to have to mine through all those stupid rocks to get to the utmost iron vein. And can we also have the mod that would make all our items nodrop upon death? Also if we can stop decaying that would be totally cool. I don't understand why such mods are not yet released, they are essential for true Wurm experience!

Ok, every thing in there is anti-wurm. This is why you wont see these any time soon. Wurm is the complete opposite of Minecrack.

I've been working on a minimap mod recently, here's a screenshot of how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/YXPmKrC.png

Unfortunately it's not quite ready for release yet, as it's written for an API I've been working on with Graham which still needs a lot of polishing before we release it.

• Like 3

On 11/23/2015, 10:58:08, Briconnet said:

I suspect you're being sarcastic but...

1. if I make a mini-map tool it will have an option to show the cave layer so you can see what is what in caves.

2. Right now you can log in a GM and make any type of vein you want. After making it, set its data so its got tens of thousands of ore. I haven't figured out how to set the tile's quality so I usually look for an utmost rock tile and change that.

3. no drop items on death is a good idea. That is definitely something I'd like to do. On a related note, I want to do no skill loss on death.

4. I think there is already a mod that stops decay.

Why this stuff isn't done yet is there aren't that many folks modding. And there definitely aren't many skill codders modding.  Is there more than 12 (what you can count on two hands). At least when it comes to openly modding and discussing with community there aren't that many. If we count all the folks who aren't sharing its probably a lot more.

I think the lower amount of moders falls into minecraft was a voxel based game which every item and object added was simple to code in. Most people who got into java coding in the gaming scene was from minecraft. Now you open code to Wurm and it is nothing like that minecraft stuff. It is real geometry and almost every item is tied to some skill trees not skill tree more than one tree. The coding is more advanced than simple minecraft coding. So all the minecraft moders are on the bench still scratching there heads trying to understand how to do things. The small portion making modes are those who understand java coding far past simple minecraft.

In short mod's will be slower.