Sign in to follow this  
Quostin

Adding Musical Instruments

I talked about this a few times in chat, but it would be interesting to have musical instruments in the game with a music skill, along with subskills for certain instruments. 

Some instruments would be lute, flute, and drums. Like activating it and using it will pull up something that you can click or type in to play certain notes. Higher skills will allow more notes to be played in order, or less mistakes being made, like you wanting a c note, but you end up getting an a note being played. 

There is yoyos and puppets in the game, why not musical instruments? When I think the old days, I think people sitting around a fire talking and playing music... even in a pub or something.

Edited by Quostin
  • Like 4

+1 for that, but in different format:

1. You can import songs to be played in ABC notation (or something similar). When you import song to game, it can be played on any instrument and timer long enough for the whole song starts. Any movement cancels the action and song.
  2. Quality of instrument determine "quality" of music - better quality gives more constant sound volume. Below given quality (like 10) you cannot play at all.
  3. Music skill reduces amount of mistakes.
  • Like 3

I like the music idea from Warlander. On a failure, it could instead of playing the 'correct note' a random note. Like a 'missed note' ...making songs at low skill sound funky. Leveling could work like fishing. 1 skill tick every few seconds. So the more you play, the better you get.

When making a concerto with different people, the one starting the song selects the partition. Everyone else right clicks on him with instrument selected, and then "Follow lead" ... when that guy starts playing, every one follows their partition in sync with that guy, so we can have concerts! Of course, people would have to have leveled up their Music skills for anything good!

• Like 1

I always wanted instruments myself! Being a travelling bard would be pretty cool.

On 11/21/2015 at 9:00 PM, Warlander said:

+1 for that, but in different format:

1. You can import songs to be played in ABC notation (or something similar). When you import song to game, it can be played on any instrument and timer long enough for the whole song starts. Any movement cancels the action and song.
  2. Quality of instrument determine "quality" of music - better quality gives more constant sound volume. Below given quality (like 10) you cannot play at all.
  3. Music skill reduces amount of mistakes.

You mean I could play "The Inner Light" from TNG in Wurm on a Pennywhistle I crafted from scratch?  You....you don't even KNOW how much money I would pay to see this happen!

https://youtu.be/AE1Zo5Ljws0

Oh it would be lovely if we had the barding skill + playing music in the game!

And a well thought out plan Warlander! You probably meant something along these lines when you mentioned ABC and it got me thinking further how this might work. 

How about being able to play the instrument in a "guitar hero" sort of way using the WASD keys. This would mean that if you were to "Play" or "Use" an instrument, a window would pop up with interactive WASD keys that could either be clicked or would react to pressing the actual keyboard keys. Instead of several notes at a time like in Guitar hero, perhaps something simpler, only one note at a time. And seeing as plucking away at a lute for instance, is indeed a much more simple process than any song you'll find on GH, it would be a natural fit anyhow.

While the popup would be active, WASD would override the ability to move. Pressing the popup X button would cancel the process instantly if one would need to run/escape. 

music.jpg

just do it like archeage does play midi files only and the player has to enter the notes and the server has a compiler.

You can then compile the songs on to parchment and sell the songs to talented musicians. 

Edited by sweatygopher