Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

New Forum Version Discussion (Rage..) Thread!

If I had to guess the reason for this most recent forum update, it's to have a completely responsive design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

There's no separate janky mobile version like before. It's the same across all devices.

The main drawback for me is that the style feels looser and not as precise, which is a problem I often have with sites that go responsive.

If you shrink your browser window, you can watch it adapt on the fly.

Spoiler

kojbH2n.png

Edited by Tipper

I think forums are ok'ish. The colors are a bit too bright still, doesn't fit with the rest of the site. Everything is a bit too big for my liking as well, too large fonts and too much "white" space.  Other than that no real complaints. But have mostly been reading, not so much using advanced features. 

Quotations and Apostrophe's seem to have borked in the transition.

They are being replaced in content as: “ and  â€� ―

Unread content is only usable to view the last few hours on mobile. If you tap on "Load more activity" and then tap on one of the threads, going back to the list brings you back to the original list without more loaded. As far as I can tell, they removed the paged view from this. You can open threads in tabs and then close them, but this turns using the forums on mobile into an annoyance that I'll probably just avoid until this is fixed.

The same is true on desktop but it's far easier to open and close a new tab on desktop than it is on mobile.

6 hours ago, thorgot said:

You can open threads in tabs and then close them, but this turns using the forums on mobile into an annoyance...

The same is true on desktop but it's far easier to open and close a new tab on desktop than it is on mobile.

I want to refer back to my previous post in this thread: 

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/135108-new-forum-version-discussion-rage-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1388101

The tabs on the new forums are not labeled and cannot be distinguished. I open several tabs at once from the list of new content, then go back and read each one; it would be really nice if I could read the tabs to tell them apart.

I visit the forums from my phone because when I am able to be at my PC I am actually playing the game. Even though I am capable of seeing the new improvements and features with this new forum update, I would have to say that (from my personal experience as a mobile device user) this update has been a major setback. 

Edited by Meldichoir
  • Like 1

The forum claims to track view counts but no longer does. As an example, here is a very popular thread a week ago by Lancelot announcing his return to the game, it had 31 replies, has been up for a week and likely had hundreds of views, yet claims no one has ever looked at it:

forum_views.png

If it has been decided to no longer track thread views then we should remove the index listing claiming we track forum views.

If it is simply broken, then it probably should be fixed.

I much preferred the old one.

In this one I can barely read anything because it all looks super tiny.

Need a magnifying glass to see things.

Or is there any way to change letter size of posts that I didn't write myself?

Please let me know.

I do believe though that websites should be intuitive to use and show fonts at normal size, as on all other pages.

Also I agree with others that the contrast is now way too high with the bright backgrounds.

Really, why change even? It looked perfect to me before.

Sorry for the huge font size but I didn't also want to get a magnifying glass just to see what I type...

• Like 2

Most browsers have a zoom that you can set i have the forums here set to 125% and it makes it a lot better. 

While i am here there seems to be a missing tab to take you to the wurm website the only tab we have is for the store. Also would also love to see the holiday candy cane things go away too. (the snowflakes are cool for the holiday but the stripes i never liked) 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

It's kind of funny that the "visitor count" gets a +1 every time you visit your own profile since the only way I've found so far to track my own topics (not follow but revisit) goes via the profile. Gon' look so popular omg

Ok, well I'm going to point this out again because it still has not been fixed:

Every page on these forums will display the entire URL in the tab where the topic/title should go.

There is no way to distinguish between multiple open tabs or visited pages in your history. If you try to create bookmarks then you must enter your own title. 

This is something that seems simply overlooked; I wonder if they are even reading this (official discussion thread). 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2016 at 2:01 PM, Meldichoir said:

There is no way to distinguish between multiple open tabs or visited pages in your history.

This has just recently been fixed. Thanks again!

Bump

Was originally on the fence about the new version of the forums. Now I have to admit I like it. :unsure:

Still squeaks when I turn fast though.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Klaa said:

Was originally on the fence about the new version of the forums. Now I have to admit I like it.

I'll admit that also. Making posts and replying to PMs can still be quite challenging on my mobile; I still miss the old simplicity.

They fixed my biggest issue in the posts above, so I'm good enough now.

• Like 1

The only thing I find annoying, is that the topic listings content always defaults to page 1, even if the URL is a different page.

e.g. View page 2, go to a post, then go back. The URL is still page 2, but page 1 topics are listed.  The only way to once again view page 2 is to click on page 1, then page 2 again. Simply refreshing page 2 does nothing. Seems like a problem with a session variable.

Came across something wonky today.  Tried to 'like' a post and got a pop-up that says I'm only allowed 25 per day so I can't.  Looking at my activity in profile, it only shows 7 'likes' I made and the list goes back to Feb 27. 

Edited by Amadee

3 hours ago, Amadee said:

Came across something wonky today.  Tried to 'like' a post and got a pop-up that says I'm only allowed 25 per day so I can't.  Looking at my activity in profile, it only shows 7 'likes' I made and the list goes back to Feb 27. 

Yeah that happened to me yesterday as well.  That's the only time it has happened to me though.