Sign in to follow this  
Zera

Tests to learn the Uncertain Things..

My Post was not how fast trees grow,

its the chance with each Polling cycle the tree will spawn another tree.

I saw this post and was confused, since it was the first I'd heard of it. So, I decided to poke at what WU code I have available, and there were some very interesting findings in the function responsible for this (Item.getDecayMultByParents()):

• Pottery amphorae indeed slow the decay of contents, seemingly both liquid and non-liquid
  • Cedar containers slow decay (!)
    • These checks are recursive, checking containers within containers, so it's entirely probable that stacking cedar containers can slow decay exponentially (!!!!!). For example, a cedar small chest inside a cedar large barrel inside a cedar cart may have substantially slower decay.

Disclaimer: My decompiled WU code is a couple versions old because I'm lazy. I also cannot fully guarantee that WO's behavior is identical to WU (although it almost certainly is in cases like this), and there is always the possibility I'm straight-up wrong about something, so I encourage people to do whatever testing and analysis comes to mind regarding this.

EDIT: I've been needing to intentionally decay massive quantities of meat for the purpose of grinding butchering skill, so now's a good time to test this. I suppose I can shove a bunch of meat inside a cedar cart, or a ship or something, with cedar chests inside those, and compare that to a non-cedar equivalent. Will take a while to test appropriately, though... decay isn't always fast.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 5

I would love to know the math behind the quality of horse shoes and the speed it adds, as well as the maths behind woa casts and the speed that adds.  Is there a formula?  How about rare and supreme adding more speed to already made shoes?  Do these stack?  Do some override others?  If anyone can shed any light on this it would be great.

Horse traits:  How much speed do the different traits add?  How much do they stack?  Is it rng only?  Does it make a difference if you ride a horse vs if they are hitched?

Does rare and sup carts make a speed difference to speed?  Does it change for wagons?

How about for hitched hellhorses?  

Any help would be awesome.

On 7/19/2016 at 0:40 AM, Fairyshine said:

Horse traits:  How much speed do the different traits add?  How much do they stack?  Is it rng only?  Does it make a difference if you ride a horse vs if they are hitched?

This info is on Page 1.

On 11/23/2015 at 11:48 PM, bigsteve said:
"It has fleeter movement than normal." = +10% movement speed
"It is a tough bugger." = 10% less damage taken
"It has a strong body." = +10kg carry weight bonus
"It has lightning movement." = +20% movement speed
"It can carry more than average." = +20kg carry weight bonus
"It has very strong leg muscles." +10% movement speed, +10kg carry weight bonus

Fleeter and Lightning are random, Devs have hinted that animal soul strength helps so Hell Horses proc more often. Horse speed changes when ridden vs hitched, but traits affect both.

Glorious random fact of the day, discovered when working on healing rates:

If you're drowning, the water damage wounds actually can heal while still in the water. They won't heal as fast, but better than normal wounds. So, if you're drowning near your boat due to bugs, or otherwise a few tiles from where you need to be, you can wait 10 minutes for a healing tick.

Granted, it follows normal wound rules, so if it's really REALLY bad, it may still not heal. Food for thought, though.

Edit to preempt smart-alecks: Yes, I've tested and confirmed this in-game.

Edit 2: Firefox wanted to correct "smart-alecks" to "court-martials".

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2016 at 0:40 AM, Fairyshine said:

would love to know the math behind the quality of horse shoes and the speed it adds, as well as the maths behind woa casts and the speed that adds.  Is there a formula?  How about rare and supreme adding more speed to already made shoes?  Do these stack?  Do some override others?  If anyone can shed any light on this it would be great.

Does rare and sup carts make a speed difference to speed?  Does it change for wagons?

all Page 2, rarity for carts and wagons are the same.  rarity+...1,2,3,4 where 1 is normal and 4 is fantastic,  of course this was from the code back then so someone feel free to correct if has changed since

On 7/3/2016 at 2:18 AM, Ruger said:

What are the difficulties for digging? Mining and woodcutting were provided but I didn't see anything on digging.

Found it. For those interested.

Clay = 20

Sand = 10

Tar = 35

Moss = 10

Marsh = 30

Steppe = 40

Tundra = 20

And what difficulty would plain old dirt be? 

Time to bump this thread anyway.

Can someone list the difficulty for metallurgy? The difficulties for making bronze, brass, and steel?

6 hours ago, Hailene said:

Can someone list the difficulty for metallurgy? The difficulties for making bronze, brass, and steel?

Brass: 10

Bronze: 10

Steel: 4

So they're all somewhat low, and not a huge difference between them, but steel is actually the easier of the three.

Is there a difference imping different items for fine carpentry?  

Is there a ranking for taming?

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎15 at 5:32 PM, Ostentatio said:

Brass: 10

Bronze: 10

Steel: 4

So they're all somewhat low, and not a huge difference between them, but steel is actually the easier of the three.

that's farting hilarious considering bronze and brass were made in the middle ages supposedly unless my history is wrong and steel adding carbon to iron was done much later.. unless you consider hand folded metal as in samurai swords as proper steel..

The bronze age came before the iron age. Working with iron/steel wasn't complicated by the material, but by the temperatures required to produce it. Copper/bronze can be smelted in a campfire(RL, not game, in game can even do iron and steel).

Pretty much working any iron repeatedly in a forge makes a form of steel, the best blacksmiths knew recipes for steel though they didn't realize it wasn't still iron until much later. Iron is far to brittle to make weapons from in it's pure forms.

• If included in meals, salt reduces the decay by half.

From Wiki on Salt.

Does this actually reduce meal decay, does it affect the new meals if so?

I've had identical quality meals, in a cedar chest, one take damage ( 43dmg ), other not, so still seems random.

The cooking guide (the one that came with cooking update) stated salt would have impact.

has anyone figured out which trees you should prune/harvest/pick sprouts from at which skill level in forestry for the best skill gain results ? i bet there is a difficulty to each of the different trees and bushes too, right ?

also, any information on the difficulty of natural substances ? (HCs...animal parts vs. veggies, dyes, concrete) 

48 minutes ago, Galadhel said:

has anyone figured out which trees you should prune/harvest/pick sprouts from at which skill level in forestry for the best skill gain results ? i bet there is a difficulty to each of the different trees and bushes too, right ?

also, any information on the difficulty of natural substances ? (HCs...animal parts vs. veggies, dyes, concrete) 

healing covers difficulty is equal to potency of it