Sign in to follow this  
Zera

Tests to learn the Uncertain Things..

I'm going to do be doing a series of tests in various things through-out wurm, and I'm welcoming anyone who wishes to, to follow along and perhaps even provide your own data.

I ask that you maintain the same basis of which these tests are run however.

For example if you wish to submit data for Horse speed Testing, you follow the pattern of completely unequipped horses, with near empty inventories of your player character.

This ensures that all data collected is with the same control factors as other tests.

Speed/Trait Testing - May also include trait testing of other common animals such as Cow/Bull

Each provided link allows comments to be made to the document, where you may post your own findings, questions or suggestions to assist in finding out the information we're hoping to unmask and document, once and for all.

Any off-topic, rude or otherwise unwelcome comments made to the documents will be removed entirely and disregarded.

If too many off-subject or unwanted comments or alterations are made to these documents, comments will be closed indefinitely to the document themselves.

If you'd like to see other testing done on other Wurm features, please let me know in this thread and I will look into begining more tests to run with what I have available to me.

Edited by Zera

How much testing is really necessary, at this point? Due to Wurm Unlimited code-diving, all of the traits and their effects are fairly well-documented.

Getting some specific table of values for combinations of traits, equipment, etc. might still be useful for the sake of convenience, though, I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

How much testing is really necessary, at this point? Due to Wurm Unlimited code-diving, all of the traits and their effects are fairly well-documented.

Getting some specific table of values for combinations of traits, equipment, etc. might still be useful for the sake of convenience, though, I suppose.

Wurm Unlimited and Wurm Online may be very close in coding but I'm not convinced they are 100% identical. And this could mean that it effects things such as the animals, equipment and other things as well.

And from what I have seen on the wiki, many things aren't clarified for certain as of yet. Best guesses in quite a few cases and a lot of information for questions that have been frequently asked about, isn't documented in any way at all. At best, as far as speed for horses (or any animal for that matter) logs a minimum average speed, and does not give any kind of information based on what trait may cause what kind of increase, or any of that.

For example: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Cow

Has absolutely no speed listed on it's page in any form. And I'm sure if you ask many players, they'd probably tell you that the Cow and Bull move at the same speed. My tests have proven otherwise so far...

Information the Wiki does not tell you.

Code diving can sure give you information but where is the fun in that? There are a lot of variables to consider and unless you're going to sit there staring at code to do the math, you're not going to know that kind of information just by looking at java coding.

I also cannot say I've seen much information freely posted in popular locations (such as the wiki itself) for the information I'm working on gathering, along with too terribly much otherwise either. So I've decided to take that step to experiment with it in action, code functioning and all, to figure these things out as I go.

None of it is really needed. It's all functions and it's going to happen regardless, but it's nice to know the details. Like watching a move, you wanna know what it's about before you just go "lets watch this!" without knowing a thing about it.

"It will fight fiercely." = +1 combat rating
"It has fleeter movement than normal." = +10% movement speed
"It is a tough bugger." = 10% less damage taken
"It has a strong body." = +10kg carry weight bonus
"It has lightning movement." = +20% movement speed
"It can carry more than average." = +20kg carry weight bonus
"It has very strong leg muscles." +10% movement speed, +10kg carry weight bonus
"It has keen senses." = when tamed and over a spring tile, 1/6 chance of giving an event message "You sense a sudden calm in NAME." whenever the animal seeks food
"It has malformed hindlegs." = -10% movement speed
"The legs are of different length." = -30% movement speed, animal will not wander
"It seems overly aggressive." = 1 in 6 chance of biting the player if emoted at, but is currently bugged and generates no wound
"It looks very unmotivated." = -30kg carry weight, loses loyalty faster, fails movement boost checks more often
"It is unusually strong willed." = 1 in 10 chance of animal unleading itself with "NAME refuses to move on." whenever polled by the server
"It has some illness." = animal regularly loses body strength, max age is halved, "cared for" and "certain spark" nullified
"It looks constantly hungry." = always gains hunger as if pregnant, which is 10x faster than normal
"It looks feeble and unhealthy." = massive disease vulnerability
"It looks unusually strong and healthy." = massive disease resistance, 50% or so

"It has a certain spark in its eyes." = animal lives 50% longer than normal

• Like 22

Wow, that's amazing we know what all the traits do.

Does anyone know the specific benefits of rares?  That's some voodoo I'd like to know!

And difficulty of crops?

20 hours ago, bigsteve said:
"It will fight fiercely." = +1 combat rating
"It has fleeter movement than normal." = +10% movement speed
"It is a tough bugger." = 10% less damage taken
"It has a strong body." = +10kg carry weight bonus
"It has lightning movement." = +20% movement speed
"It can carry more than average." = +20kg carry weight bonus
"It has very strong leg muscles." +10% movement speed, +10kg carry weight bonus
"It has keen senses." = when tamed and over a spring tile, 1/6 chance of giving an event message "You sense a sudden calm in NAME." whenever the animal seeks food
"It has malformed hindlegs." = -10% movement speed
"The legs are of different length." = -30% movement speed, animal will not wander
"It seems overly aggressive." = 1 in 6 chance of biting the player if emoted at, but is currently bugged and generates no wound
"It looks very unmotivated." = -30kg carry weight, loses loyalty faster, fails movement boost checks more often
"It is unusually strong willed." = 1 in 10 chance of animal unleading itself with "NAME refuses to move on." whenever polled by the server
"It has some illness." = animal regularly loses body strength, max age is halved, "cared for" and "certain spark" nullified
"It looks constantly hungry." = always gains hunger as if pregnant, which is 10x faster than normal
"It looks feeble and unhealthy." = massive disease vulnerability
"It looks unusually strong and healthy." = massive disease resistance, 50% or so

"It has a certain spark in its eyes." = animal lives 50% longer than normal

Oh that's a wonderfully in-depth list there. I hadn't been able to find that sort of information anywhere. Thank you for sharing that.

If spark actually makes the animal live 50% longer wouldn't a 5 speed horse with Spark be more valuable? Since he'd last longer?

4 hours ago, Zera said:

Oh that's a wonderfully in-depth list there. I hadn't been able to find that sort of information anywhere. Thank you for sharing that.

If spark actually makes the animal live 50% longer wouldn't a 5 speed horse with Spark be more valuable? Since he'd last longer?

kinda. but if you care for it, no point to spark at all.

• Like 1

I see good point in testing.  WU code is proven to be quite different in skill gain - as there is no 40ql result cap there for ticks. 

On 24/11/2015, 06:56:22, Hailene said:

And difficulty of crops?

From WU code:

Crops Difficulty [Behaviours/Crops.class]
Potato - 4
Cotton - 7
Wemp - 10
Rye - 10
Oat - 15
Pumpkin - 15
Barley - 20
Reed - 20
Wheat - 30
Corn - 40
Onion - 60
Strawberries -60
Rice - 80

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, archer said:

From WU code:

Potato - 4
Cotton - 7
Wemp - 10
Rye - 10
Oat - 15
Pumpkin - 15
Barley - 20
Reed - 20
Wheat - 30
Corn - 40
Onion - 60
Strawberries -60
Rice - 80

you missed, garlic - 70

• Like 2

12 hours ago, archer said:

From WU code:

Potato - 4
Cotton - 7
Wemp - 10
Rye - 10
Oat - 15
Pumpkin - 15
Barley - 20
Reed - 20
Wheat - 30
Corn - 40
Onion - 60
Strawberries -60
Rice - 80

12 hours ago, JDBooker said:

you missed, garlic - 70

Thank you very much, I will be sure to note this down. Eventually I will gather all of this information in a single easily searchable thread. ^.^

Wonderful.  The difficulties are a bit...abstract, though.

Could I see maybe a mining vein list to compare?

Assuming mining/farming and pick/rake QL work the same, that should give us a good idea where to go for farming.

stone:          2
zinc:           2
iron:           3
tin:            10
copper:         20
slate:          20
lead:           20
silver:         35
gold:           40
reinforced:     40
marble:         40
glimmersteel:   55
adamantine:     60

• Like 3

Whoa, marble is equal to gold? And here I think we all thought marble and silver were the same!

And tin is lower than copper? And zinc is lower than everything but stone? Whaaaat?

So farming corn is like mining gold.  Interesting.

At 87 farming...I might have to improve my rake from 20ish QL then O_o.  Or at least I would if I had 87 farming and was mining gold for skill.

Interesting.  Thanks for the numbers!

• Like 1

where and how do you find this information in the server jar? Ive been searching.?

What are the parry/attacks of weapons?

5 hours ago, bigsteve said:
stone:          2
zinc:           2
iron:           3
tin:            10
copper:         20
slate:          20
lead:           20
silver:         35
gold:           40
reinforced:     40
marble:         40
glimmersteel:   55
adamantine:     60

Is there a similar list for trees?

3 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Is there a similar list for trees?

I don't think tree types have any effect on skill gain/difficulty

Edited by Zera

1 hour ago, Zera said:

I don't think tree types have any effect on skill gain/difficulty

The pro's tell me there is a differance, would like to know for sure though. ;)

• Like 1

in short some trees produce more logs, age and type matter so it requires more actions there fore better to cut down. Will get you a proper link from code soon.

I think with out looking at code, that only age of the tree matters not the type.

for standing trees, difficulty is 15 - tree age,
making 'overaged' the easiest tree that produces a felled tree on Challenge,
standing tree difficulty is as listed below for chopping up felled trees, this is their difficulty:

BIRCH:          2
PINE:           2
APPLE:          2
LEMON:          2
OLIVE:          2
CHERRY:         2
OLEANDER:       2
CAMELIA:        3
MAPLE:          4
LAVENDER:       4
CEDAR:          5
FIR:            5
ROSE:           5
GRAPE:          5
CHESTNUT:       12
LINDEN:         12
WALNUT:         15
THORN:          15
WILLOW:         18

OAK:            20

Edited by bigsteve
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

So grinding by chopping up oak trees is the best!

18 hours ago, bigsteve said:
for standing trees

Grinding by cutting down oak trees could be the best. Not sure about chopping up.

Something that has always been a burning question for me...

Do rare statuettes provide a bonus to casting?

Do rare altars provide an additional bonus to casting compared to a regular altar of similar ql?

• Like 1