Sign in to follow this  
Tux

Console Window [Merged]

For clarity I am not asking in order to get my launcher to load but the curiosity of why it isn't working is killing me.

So I see an error flash on the console screen then the console goes away. I need to grab that error...how...where

Server logs? They're in the folder of the map you're trying to run, in a folder called Logs.

Client logs are in the PlayerFiles folder, you can find that in the WurmLauncher folder.

Server logs? They're in the folder of the map you're trying to run, in a folder called Logs.

Client logs are in the PlayerFiles folder, you can find that in the WurmLauncher folder.

let me ask it differently

When the launcher used to load and I start the solo single player server a black console window comes up with a very long message and then that console window closes.

I want that message, where is that message stored.

Edited by Tux

That message is in the log files.

I assume you're starting everything through the Wurm Unlimited client and the crash occurs when you click Manage Server?

That message is in the log files.

I assume you're starting everything through the Wurm Unlimited client and the crash occurs when you click Manage Server?

but again. I ask

WHICH log files? Event Viewer? log files in my game directory? log files in java

because I looked in Event Viewer and in my game directory and there is no posting of any error anywhere.

'Start Server'? not sure I cant open launcher to verify.

This question is getting complicated it sounds like.

If I could get exactly what is spit out of that console dumped to a file or something THAT is what I need to see

Edited by Tux

My client logs are in this folder: Z:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles

My server logs are in this folder: Z:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\Burtworld\Logs

If you do not have the dedicated server installed, it will be in the Wurm Unlimited folder under WurmServerLauncher.

These paths probably won't match your install so if you right-click on Wurm Unlimited in Steam, select Properties and go to the Local Files tab, there will be a button to Search in Local Files or something in that vein. Clicking that will open the folder in Explorer. from there you can find what you need by re-reading my first post.

Otherwise, consider posting a more detailed description of the steps you take to start Wurm.

My client logs are in this folder: Z:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles

My server logs are in this folder: Z:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\Burtworld\Logs

If you do not have the dedicated server installed, it will be in the Wurm Unlimited folder under WurmServerLauncher.

These paths probably won't match your install so if you right-click on Wurm Unlimited in Steam, select Properties and go to the Local Files tab, there will be a button to Search in Local Files or something in that vein. Clicking that will open the folder in Explorer. from there you can find what you need by re-reading my first post.

Otherwise, consider posting a more detailed description of the steps you take to start Wurm.

I am 99% sure its a server issue I want to look at. I very much doubt the console window at startup of a server is gamer profile related.

I don't know what 'dedicated server' means or if I did that regardless I will double check but the logs I saw had nothing in the them.

Console window by the way is what flashes up when you start a server, said console window looks like CMD window or a .BAT file script after running it. Having that part clear 'should' reduce your confusion because I think that 'console window' is the only window of its kind in the entire Wurm Launcher operation.

Trust me, I know what a console window looks like.

What do you double-click in Steam to start Wurm? Just give the full name

When one hits 'start server' (sorry I cant load my launcher at the moment to verify if that is the exact term and I forget)

a console window pops up and it starts the server, as soon as the server is loaded that console window closes.

I need to know where the text that shows up in that console window is stored OR if there is a way I can get it to dump to a text file each time it does run.

Thanks

sorry my confused response please ignore

Edited by Tux

Moved to WU questions.

Is 'unlimited technical issues' forum only related to things broken specifically or what? not clear why this thread was moved here

that not really what my question is asking.

I wish you good luck on your log quest, I can't help you any further.

I wish you good luck on your log quest, I can't help you any further.

I think the quote below is the closest thing we know at the moment

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:53 AM

Sorry I missed this post, have you been able to run the game yet?

Can you post a DXDIAG, also look in the Wurm folder for a file named HS_ERR_PID and console.charactername.log and post ALL of those that you can find. 

and/or

Logs/Wurm.log.0 in what ever map folder u are using..

Edited by Tux

Logs/Wurm.log.0 in what ever map folder u are usin

I think the crash is happening below although not sure. I cant replicate with reliability because of the update. I will post anything new that comes up after the update assuming my launcher will start and or if it posts an error even if it doesnt.

java.lang.Exception

at com.wurmonline.server.Server.shutDown(Server.java:3276)

at com.wurmonline.server.Server.run(Server.java:1731)

at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)

at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

launcher never loads and no new entries made in logs.

Edited by Tux

Can I suggest you download the Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server, and launch that before running the client?

It's available in the tools section of Steam, and is a free download.

This will allow you to find out if it's a client or server issue, (if you can run the server without problems, then it's most likely a client issue).

If the server crashes then it'll be a server issue, most likely a problem with the server files themselves.

(Don't think I've ever used the launcher to launch the server at all, since I tend to leave it running to allow everything to 'age').