Sign in to follow this  
Taurus

Creature Spawn Limit, possible bug?

I have several problems with creature spawning...

If I set creature spawn limit to 20.000 for example, then I just have around 9000-12500 creatures on my map... If I raise the creature limit further it will also just raise the real creature amount by a fraction.

Why is that so?

How can I change this?

What I did also notice is, that I am missing a lot of creatures in the database, that should also spawn under normal circumstances... like for example the boar and the unicorn... not one of it spawning, and the list goes on. Why are there creatures missing and how can I change this?

Is there a command that I have to use to activate a so to say... new spawn run of the game? That it will check again and add new creatures?

Thank You

I'm guessing the actual creatures might not be near the limit to allow for breeding/offspring etc?

Or maybe it is just maxing out your hardware?

I'm guessing the actual creatures might not be near the limit to allow for breeding/offspring etc?

Or maybe it is just maxing out your hardware?

1. That might be the case... but this breeding reserve seems to be quite huge. Maybe I have to dig into Java to change this or just set a higher creature limit.

2. No... my hardware is fine, did control it beforehand... Server does not lag the slightest, did control it not just in the Windows Task Manager, but also ingame... there is plenty of Hardware available that could be filled with creatures ^^

Anyone got another idea?

Also I would like to know why I have no boars and unicorns spawning... do other people have them that run a server?

I did copy the creative database over for my custom map and emptied it as I was instructed in a tutorial. (should I have taken the adventure database instead? Does it even make a big difference, cause I empty those anyway and then they are filled by the server which is steered by the configuration of that server?).

After that the map was freshly spawned with creatures when I did start the server up... since then no uni and boars and some other creatures missing... all in all I see a lot more variety in Wurm Online Freedom Independence and I see no reason for me not having all of this variety on my server.

>Also I would like to know why I have no boars and unicorns spawning... do other people have them that run a server?

I have lots of boars and unicorns, on a fairly small server (1024x1024 and I think 8k mobs)  l I have several areas with 20+ unicorns nearby. I think I started on Creative database but cleared the creatures (as I had a ton of land animals in the water when I first  checked out the map).  I don;t know if there is something different at higher population numbers. What do you ave hostile % set at? (I think mine is at 12%) .  There seem definitely to be clusters (I have one area that is solid lava spiders, another that is solid unicorns, etc, Many bison herds.)

I have once or twice that I have gone through and deleted all shark etc because I felt there was too many (they seem to just come back though in very similar numbers. The number of sharks is just utterly ridiculous and I wish I could find a place to cap their number). Sometimes the database shows a fantastic  number of Seals (though I never notice them ingame) so I delete all of those too. 

Maybe when the server is offline, try deleting all X creatures that are in too high of a number?  Maybe kill pigs, roosters, sheep and see if unicorns spwn instead?  I have never understood how spawns are generated, I know on Indy it would sometimes feel like 80 percent of the spawns were the same creatures, and heaven knows when I last ever saw a Unicorn or a champion dog in the wild

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

hostile % is set to 25%

Can you please give me also some info on what value you did set in creature spawn limit and how many creatures you REALLY have in your database showing up?

Want to see if its the same difference in % as on my server. (maybe breeding reserve)

in database I show 4651. Server is set to setting 8000 max creatures and 15% hostile. So definitely a gap between database and setting, the number in database is a bit over 50% of my max cap.  (Maybe 58% of my cap which sounds a little similar to the results you get).  Because I have a much smaller map size, the creatures are probably a lot more noticeable to me. I bet you have 4/8/16 times more landscape to fill up.  This is my map (small, 1024x1024) and most of the animals are in steppe sand or grassland rather than areas with trees

I wonder if the %  vs cap is related to the eligible spawning areas (ie not underwater or too high or too low or too populated or too many trees or too XYZ),  I wonder if maps with lots of water and mountains will generate fewer animals than ones with tons of flat treeless areas and no water regardless of the max creature count setting?

The numbers might be modified for the live WO servers were they ex[pect a ton of domesticated horses cows sheep etc.  You might remember the Great Indy Breeding Crisis of 2011 when for weeks and months no one could breed any aminals at all, and Rolf "did something" with the numbers to fix it (,ore than just raising the cap). I think wild vs domestic animals were split into separate pools?

Thank You for those numbers, those help me a lot ^^

Yes, you are right I have a 4096x4096 map ^^

I will later this evening maybe put down my server and empty the creature database one more time and see how it will spawn my map then... I hope I get some unis and boars and such...

Yeah I remember that... I also remember it was sometimes more and sometimes less a constant struggle with those spawn numbers. I can also remember the time when there was nearly no passive creatures in the wilderness and some other stuff that did show up over time.

I think for full control I have no choice and delve into the Java numbers some day or wait till those numbers are going into the GUI Server Settings.

Still, as I said I will keep you all updated about what I get when I respawn my map ^^

I would be nice if we had a page to tweak exact creature ratios -- how many pigs vs trolls etc, like the map generator uses for Ores

pigs:  03.62%

bulls: 07.36%

trolls: 02.93%

etc

somepace there might be a hard coding for separate pools on captivity animals vs wild

Too many Seals, roosters, pheasants for me. Pheasants are so hard to see anyway.

So... I did fiddle around with the creature spawn limit and a cap of 30.000 gives me around 17.000 creatures.

Also Unicorns did spawn now... still no boars... I think I will not get around trying my luck with java in the future and add all those creatures to the spawn settings of my ruleset.