Sign in to follow this  
milspec74

Item corruption issue

I run a small server on Blue Fang. We have aprox 20 players and peak at 4-6 at once. We have been up for over two weeks.

All of my players are reporting an item corruption issue, and I have experienced it myself first-hand. Item missing, changed, or wrong tags.

I am suspicious of the temporary database files that are left over when I stop and start the server, for example .db-shm and db-wal files. When I open the database in SQLite Browser they go away, presumably rolled into the main database file. When I start and stop the server from the Blue Fang control panel the temp files remain.

Has anyone else had any item corruption issue? Its a big deal for us. I will let players explain, here is one report:

-----

You can see that many of the lumps are showing the wrong icon.  (some show the iron icon, others show something that looks like silver dirt).
It won't let me combine them with other lumps, probably because they are now another item type.  Upon examining, they give the description for "rock shards" or "lump of iron", yet the item name says "lump, silver".
I definitely know that all the silver lumps were fine immediately before the reboot, because I had just been looking at them. 

Even worse, I lost my best lump of silver.  It was around 4kg (which is a lot of silver, each silver ore only gives 0.10kg) and max quality for this vein (34QL).  I had combined all the lumps which were 34 QL into a single lump.  That lump represented about 2-3 hours of straight mining, because it's only about a 1 in 10 chance of getting max, and it was about 40 lumps combined.  I believe it had been sitting in my forge, but just to be sure, I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.

I also lost a couple valuable items in my inventory.
1. an opal
2. a source crystal
Both of these things are rare random drops from mining.  

Also, a few things in my chests turned into random objects.  I'm now the proud owner of:
1. a corpse of adolescent mountain lion.  
2. an ear of corn.  
3. rock shards, but with an odd icon.

I wish I could tell what these things used to be.  I don't think it was anything valuable.

I am playing on this server and have had several issues:

While crafting a timber framed wall, clay in my inventory became war arrow heads; the icon changed to the arrow head icon, the action log said I was dropping arrow heads when I dropped them, but the item was still titled "clay". After dropping them, they display as arrow heads but cannot be picked up.

I crafted a spinning wheel, several pieces of chain armor, and several hanging lanterns. After logging out and then back in the armor had turned into rock shards in my inventory and the other items were rock shards where they had been placed.

A meal in my inventory changed to a black mushroom but retained the "created from meat and potatoes" tag. It appeared to function as a mushroom.

Several different items would not allow any actions on them, saying that they were in the process of trading (I had not traded anything in at least 24 hours and certainly not those items). I was able to remove them from my inventory by trading them to a merchant.

These ate the examples I can remember very well, there have been a ton of other instances where items are missing, transformed, or have the wrong icons. I hope this helps.

Edited by rozyncranz

I don't think this is a modded server. Milspec would better be able to answer that question.

I have had some issues too. I've logged in with strange items in my inventlory that I cannot drop because it says it is being traded. I've had items transform into other things. Once I logged in and could not intereact with my cart. I could not even examine it. Then the cart vanished leaving behind the bulls that were pulling it.

by chance did someone add a neighboring server option?   If you did and checked login option checkbox you fork the DB and can cause major issues as the server doesn't know what map the players are actually on.  Another symptom that can be picked up on is a GM will notice an option to "MOVE NORTH" or some other direction.  Also banks will suddenly become unavailable.      

This can be done either in the GUI or with the wand in game.    

• Like 1

No neighboring server. No mods that I'm aware of.

I've also seen some items in a stack of items get corrupted while within a chest. Out of 43 meals, 3 of them "became" something else. 

I've also seen items disappear from my inventory, only to show up on the ground, in a pile, a few days later.

No mods. No neighbor servers. This is a serious issue. What other info do people need to confirm this bug?

I am seeing this as well.  My server does have a few mods.  Recent examples:

My 50QL Mallet (Maplewood) is now Corpse of Aged Dead Rat (Maplewood).  It still WORKS... I just have to remember that it is a mallet.

My equipped quiver full of arrows changed to a horseshoe last time I logged in.  I couldn't do much with it except drop to ground.  When i picked it up it was just a horseshoe.. arrows all gone.

I have hundreds of sprouts that are called corpse of dead dolphin.

This happens rarely, but it is happening enough that over time it gets really strange.

Anyone else seeing this?  What do we have in common?

Malformed database. This is not reverseable and will get more worse every day.

Best to Rollback to a working backup and watch out for the stored ID fields in the database.