Sign in to follow this  
Moha

My first (combo trigger) Mission Ruler Quest!

So I finally figured out this mission ruler system and made my first REAL Quest.  I found that I will never allow anyone to complete this quest making it repeatable every three hours!  Also, I figured out the quest ruler enough to make quest chains, and create longer more powerful quests that can really give a sense of adventure and accomplishment.  I feel like I can now build a most awesome piece of furniture, but I am never given the polish to make it shiny.

Things like setting player rot upon teleporting them to a new area, would be nice... or even paying the player some coin upon quest "completion."   :)

Either way it's nice to finally see the power of the Mission Ruler and I can't wait to start to build out some quest chains for my players!

Edited by Moha
  • Like 2

Trying to figure this mission ruler out myself any advice or a easy walk-thru on what/how you did it? would be greatly appreciatied

• Like 1

Yes, it would actually be VERY helpful if you posted some sort of short how-to to help other people get started. ^.^

I'll write something up later or maybe do a video. After finding more limitations of the tool I took the day off and played Wurm a bit more. :)

Look for something Friday or Saturday. :)

• Like 1

lol BTW still looking forward to yours please still post, more info the better:P

Sorry, had a busy weekend with my girlfriends birthday, and we celebrated Friendsgiving.  Now my playerDB does not always sync after a restart and I am trying to isolate what's going on there.  I should get to this video soon.  

So there's this guide now:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=562036748 ico_external_link.gif

AND I setup this quest with a bit of detailed explaination on each setting I set:

New Mission tutorial:

Step 1: Create Mission
1. Right Click "Mission Ruler"
2. select "Manage Missions"
3. Click "Create Mission"
4. Click "Send"

For this mission I am going to create it with the following rules:
1. This will be repeatable every 24 hours.
2. You will not restart when finished
3. You will not Fail on Death

In Order to do this the player will NEVER finish the mission. We do this by setting the mission to fail after 24 hours, and then never letting the player fully complete the mission.  This keep the mission on a 24 hour timer from the start of the mission!

Step 2: Name and Configure Mission
1. Name Mission "examine The Thing"
2. Set Max Time to 24 hours
3. Check "New Chance if Fail"
4. Uncheck "May Restart when finished" - This would allow the player to repeat the mission right away.
5. Click "Send"

Step 3: Mission Triggers - Starting The Mission
1. Right Click "Mission Tool"
2. Select "Create Trigger"
3. Click "Send"

Step 4: Configure the Start of Our Mission
You should now see the Mission Trigger Screen!  Here's where things get fun.  In my screen shot I am setting up the trigger to start the mission when you examine this particular guard tower.  Here's how...
1. Name the Trigger: "ETT - Examine Guard Tower"
2. Set "On Action Performed" to "Examine"
3. Set "action performed on target | Use Current: Use id:" to <Grab the id of a guard tower or any static object in game you want to examine to start your quest>
4. Set "Mission affected:" to "Examine The Thing"

Note here the "On Which state of the mission should this trigger execute?" This setting is VERY important!  Thing of this as a time for things to happen.  Here we leave it to 0.0 because it is our opening action!  Later when we combo triggers into this mission we will fire them off by using this setting within a NEW trigger.

5. Make Sure Trigger effects is set to "Create New"
6. Click "Send"

Step 6: Progressing the Mission with the ever complex "Trigger Effect"
1. Name The Trigger Effect
2. Select The Trigger to cause this effect, "ETT - Examine the Item"
3. Add coordinated for a location to spawn a Large Rat
4. Select The Large Rat to Be Spawned
5. Set surface to be true or your rat will spawn underground in a mine!
6. Select Mission affected: "Examine The Thing"
7. Set "Mission State Change" to 1.0

THIS IS IMPORATANT, READ WHAT THAT SAYS: "Mission State Change" Not "SET COMPLETION PERCENTAGE" :)  This one got me because I read pictures not posts.  When I started doing these I assume that was for setting completion percentage and mission did not make sense to me.  This setting is likely where you are breaking your missions.  Not setting this correctly WILL break your missions as this is very unforgiving.

8. Click "Send"

Step 7: The Recap and Results

Here is what we have done so far:
1. Created I mission holder
2. Created a Trigger to spawn a rat when examining a guard tower
3. Advanced the mission to 2% Complete
4. Now you have a mission that allows EVERY Player on your server to spawn 1 Rat every 24 hours!  Conga-Rats!

To Be Continued...

We have a central area, built high up on a mountain that was flattened, that acts as the central market for our server with each community having their own market stall. We managed to build a portal to and from each community to our central hub. The one thing I did manage to create was a healing fountain that actually works and heals your wounds fully upon drinking from it. The better half however is even more adept at building missions as she built a complete quest to take the "One Ring" to "Mount Doom" and destroy it, complete with active volcano!  :D

All We can say as a community is DONT HOLD THE KNOWLEDGE Free it to everyone. The more people that have it and start to understand it the more missions and things we can get out there and working. No reason to Bogart this stuff for yourselves.. I am glad for the few that have given great knowledge out to the mass's ..

Again I thank You.

Keep the examples going and maybe post a few good kill missions.. Or bounty for specific monsters..being taken from a post board.

Another idea. is instead of coin you can award a emerald with a specific QL amount which are sold at a vendor. Vendors give you specific amounts pe Gem based on there QL level. SO if you want to award 1 silver make the emerald that QL level. Just a thought..

The problem with the quest ruler, as stated by others, is that it seems to have been designed for the solo player in mind.  There is no on kill action that I know of.  I tried to get around this by saying on "butcher" but you need to feed the ruler a specific id.  This breaks everything because you can't butcher something already butchered, and you can only have one unique active creature in the game at a time.  I recently ran a group through a small quest to kill some pirate goblins on my server.  Watching how they looted and ran through the dungeon I prepped gave me some ideas.  I like the idea of small event style quests... in my next quest I may have various tiles that when stepped on activate other tiles which will spawn monsters, or when you loot a chest, it will then activate a few tiles which may close a door, or open a mine shaft.  This mission tool IS very limited, but when you start to dig in and play with some missions you can really begin to come up with some creative ways to accomplish things!

Another discovery with the mission ruler to share. The wife was creating quite a few (she is better at it than I am) and ran into a problem where nothing worked anymore. She could log in with another toon and make one so we snooped and found the mission ruler rechage. Once she used one on her ruler she could again create misions with her first toon.

Next point is on a mission that teleports a character. We placed a coffin for fun with some fantastic items inside but when you open it you are teleported far away and there is no way to get those items. I know, it is cruel and mean but wth. At any rate neither her nor I could get it to work until I finally checked the text box to "confirm popup" for text. The popup activated and then for some unfathomable reason the teleport finally triggered. Wierd.