Sign in to follow this  
Wyndolm

Wrong Error Messages Using Catapult

Server: Xanadu

When using a catapult you can get very confusing error messages that don't reflect the problem when not hitting stuff. Today I wanted to tear down some fences on my deed and thought thats precisely what a catapult is good for. I did that with some other fences off deed before, so I basically knew what to expect.

Today tho, big surprise, i didn't hit thing. I kept getting the error message "[11:25:12] You just missed some fences with the rock shards.", no matter how often I shot. I tried it at least 40 times total. I cleared the whole path of the shot and even left and right a bit but nothing helped. This message indicates that I'm basically aiming right.

Now this message is very confusing and misleading since the problem was not that i didn't hit.

The fences are on the border of my deed (between part of village and perimeter to be precise). Now I always refer to 'my deed' which is actually incorrect. The deed owner is an alt of mine, Gorgul, but i have a special role that permits everything on deed that a non-villager can do including bashing stuff and the destroy fences permission!

I finally had the idea that if the deed owner does it, it might be different and voila, Gorgul could easily hit the fences with his non existant catapult skill, no problem whatsoever.

This cost me a couple hours to find out. Now to avoid frustration of too many players there should be a different error message saying 'this is illegal here' instead of just the message of missing stuff. That would make it a lot less confusing. Of course having the permission 'destroy fences' in Wyndolms role should actually enable him to destroy fences, also with a catapult, so this part is a bug in any case, not just a wrong error message.

Also when there is something in the way, a tree or other fences, you can't just shoot thru that. And in this case you also get the errormessage that you just missed and not an errormessage that there is something in the way. This should also be corrected to avoid too much frustration.

Here a screenshot of Wyndolms permissions. He is not a villager since he has also a house in another settlement but he has a special role as depicted here in 'my' deed.

wyndolm_perms.jpg

Edit: replaced spelling errors by new ones

Edited by Wyndolm
  • Like 1

May need destroy building permission for catapult work, not sure maybe worth a test but I think that is what I had to do on my holding deed.

Improving catapult QL helps with accuracy of the shots too.

Did you at least get cata skill gain with all that missing?

There seem to be two things here... "destroy fences" permissions should give permission to destroy fences with any tool, including a catapult. And, the message is wrong, if you don't have permission it should give a message about what really happens.

Once the first is fixed, such that destroy fences applies to destroying fences with a catapult, the second is probably no longer a problem.