Sign in to follow this  
Llurendt

WU Server Data Question

How often does the dedicated server write to disk? I read somewhere that it keeps things in virtual memory and I got it into my head that it doesn't ever write to disk until it shuts down, but that wouldn't really make sense, would it?

The question comes up as I'm trying to figure out a backup scheme for my server and it'd be best if I didn't have to take the server down every time I wanted to do a backup.

Thanks!

-Llurendt

I just take and copy the WU server folder completely to another location on my computer.  Even with the server running. Not sure if that is the optimal but I think it is working fine enough. 

Thanks for the input. :) Hopefully the server writes to the databases fairly often!

It writes very often. I've seen the server crash during a backup because it was writing while copying. Watch the disk I/O in Performance Monitor

• Like 1

I'm currently using a separate method for copying data, so it shouldn't have any conflicts like you saw. I'm still getting used to terminal linux, so I'm having a hard time being able to read and understand what is going on with the disk I/O, haha.