Sign in to follow this  
Vess219

Question on loot, purpose of killing creatures.

Hello,

Have over 100 hours in wurm, vast majority was spent gathering, building, exploring etc. I've started to do combat to level that up and eventually try the unqiues and quest line.

Other than grinding for skill, I feel bummed by the creature loot. Its basically all just used for healing covers, some creatures do drop resources used in other aspects of crafting like hides, fur or some dye materials. But other than that its pretty bare.

My question is, do any creatures other than uniques have a chance to drop something interesting? I was hoping various creatures would drop specfic ingredients for crafting so that you had to go out and hunt those types etc. But look at wurmpedia I dont really see that.

The short answer is no, apart from HC ingredients, hides, fur, and meat, there's not much more to find, Lava creatures will also produce charcoal, for steelmaking, only the now misnamed Uniques give the really high end products, like scales, dragon hide, various bloods for potions and the strange bones and skulls etc.

However Wurm has never been the more traditional MMO in that respect, it's more about the crafting and levelling while living off the land really, not about hunting the levelled mobs for progressively better items.

If you want a 99QL glimmersteel sword with enchants, it's a question of working at it to gain the various skills to make and enchant it.

That's just how Wurm rolls really

The purpose of hunting is just as much for skillgain as for crafting mats though..

Edited by Zenity
  • Like 1

Hello,

Have over 100 hours in wurm, vast majority was spent gathering, building, exploring etc. I've started to do combat to level that up and eventually try the unqiues and quest line.

Other than grinding for skill, I feel bummed by the creature loot. Its basically all just used for healing covers, some creatures do drop resources used in other aspects of crafting like hides, fur or some dye materials. But other than that its pretty bare.

My question is, do any creatures other than uniques have a chance to drop something interesting? I was hoping various creatures would drop specfic ingredients for crafting so that you had to go out and hunt those types etc. But look at wurmpedia I dont really see that.

Sadly, no, they do not. It would be a neat feature, but that's for a tomorrow not yet here.

Thank you both for your replies.

Few follow ups, on the wiki page for creatures: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Creatures

it says: Some rare creatures will drop unique items when killed, some of which are highly valuable.

Is that in reference to the uniques or are there rare creatures or rare versions can spawn of each creature that drop other things?

Also since I am getting a lot of things for healing covers/alchemy.  Other than casting the heal spell is there a way to heal during combat?  Bandaging and healing covers seem to take to long to apply and healing covers only work after 10 minutes so not sure the benefit of having higher level alchemy other than better potency covers later.  Do you get big enough wounds that needing high potency covers is important later?

Valrei mobs drop some unique items 

How do these spawn, I see the wiki for them but not sure if they would spawn in the adventure map?

Edited by Vess219

Sadly, no, they do not. It would be a neat feature, but that's for a tomorrow not yet here.

Or for other MMOs already here.

Why would we kill wolves and bear and crocodiles to get treasures?  If they are a threat, you kill them to end the threat. If you are cold and hungry, you kill them for furs and meat. 

I don't want to get a +5 Stamina Diamond Tiara of Glowing Courage for killing a mountain lion. 

How do these spawn, I see the wiki for them but not sure if they would spawn in the adventure map?

You might need Epic mode selected plus enough people for three kingdoms., I am not certain, There is somewhat of a discussion here:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132788-help-no-valrei-missions-on-dedicated-server/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132991-custom-map-unique-spawns/

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Or for other MMOs already here.

Why would we kill wolves and bear and crocodiles to get treasures?  If they are a threat, you kill them to end the threat. If you are cold and hungry, you kill them for furs and meat. 

I don't want to get a +5 Stamina Diamond Tiara of Glowing Courage for killing a mountain lion. 

I didnt mean treasures from the beast like mobs, more like specific resources they would drop to be used in crafting or even if enchanting required regeants.  Just a reason to go out and farm say scorpions for their venom to be used in the venom enchant etc.

Right now, not really a reason to go seek out the harder beast mobs, since i can get the same skill from a cow it seems.  Plus cows, bulls etc drop more alchemy regeants than the tougher creatures.

Edited by Vess219

You might need Epic mode selected plus enough people for three kingdoms., I am not certain, There is somewhat of a discussion here:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132788-help-no-valrei-missions-on-dedicated-server/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132991-custom-map-unique-spawns/

I do have 3 missions, each from a different god, are those valrei missions?  They seem odd, two are to cut down a specific tree and one is to kill 5 deer.  I did one earlier and got karma from it but that was it.

Thank you both for your replies.

Few follow ups, on the wiki page for creatures: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Creatures

it says: Some rare creatures will drop unique items when killed, some of which are highly valuable.

Is that in reference to the uniques or are there rare creatures or rare versions can spawn of each creature that drop other things?

Also since I am getting a lot of things for healing covers/alchemy.  Other than casting the heal spell is there a way to heal during combat?  Bandaging and healing covers seem to take to long to apply and healing covers only work after 10 minutes so not sure the benefit of having higher level alchemy other than better potency covers later.  Do you get big enough wounds that needing high potency covers is important later?

healing covers, farmers salves and bandages are very important if you are going to be out traveling, hunting, Pop or really just to have in your pack in the chance you run into an ugly troll that's deciding you are lunch. Keeping 7-10 covers and about 3-5 salves in a satchel is always a good plan. Potency of covers is based off of ingredients used not the skill you have. These definitely are important to have, especially ones of 12-15+ power. Even the strongest of adventurers can die in a hurry in Wurm. A fall from a cliff and then a hit from a he'll hound and you can spend hours trying to recover your body. Do some research on the wiki about healing cover power and ingredients to get a better understanding of how they work and always keep some on you.

Better to have and not need than it is to want and die trying.

I didnt mean treasures from the beast like mobs, more like specific resources they would drop to be used in crafting or even if enchanting required regeants.  Just a reason to go out and farm say scorpions for their venom to be used in the venom enchant etc.

Right now, not really a reason to go seek out the harder beast mobs, since i can get the same skill from a cow it seems.  Plus cows, bulls etc drop more alchemy regeants than the tougher creatures.

Ah ok, my apologies to jberg too, as he got what you meant right off.

I am a big fan of the idea of Hell Scorpion Armor crafted from chitlin drops, stuff like that. Poison sacs sound good too. 

• Like 1

As far as healing covers go, higher potency covers, (QL is not as important as potency), will heal even the worst wounds in time.

The wiki has a guide on potency and the ingredients for each level of potency, although you pretty much can't go wrong with gland and tooth covers. http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Healing_covers

Bandaging gives an instant healing effect, as well as a low potency healing cover effect, ( 1 potency i believe).

Healing covers do not give instant healing, but act to heal with each healing tick, (every 10-15 minutes or so).

Most players on WO, and I expect WU use weapons enchanted with Life Transfer when hunting, which 'steals' some life from creatures in battle, (by healing some wounds).

In some cases retreat is the only option, to bandage up and return to the fight, (with an LT weapon you can bandage up, and return to the fight to heal a bit as well).

Regarding Valrei mobs, those spawn as a result of activities on Valrei, which are influenced somewhat by completing missions, that said, I have yet to experience a vlarei mob event in normal play on WU servers, mostly due to the fact I tend to play solo, so valrei spawns might be less frequent due to that.

Valrei mobs drop various 'normal' ingredients, but you also get Serryl and valrei items as well from some kills.

Normally only the missions marked 'Everyone' will have any effect on you as a player, the others are 'enemy' missions, and will only be able to be completed by that faction.

With enough karma you can also commune using an altar to try to influence the movement of your god on Valrei, some movements will trigger a mob spawn, but I'm not really experienced enough on Epic and Valrei lore to be able to go into much more depth than that.

Edited by Zenity