Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

WU map size poll

What WU server/map size do you prefer?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite map size to play in WU?

Just curious what everyone wants to see in community generated maps.  I chose 2048 because I think most servers will be small groups of friends playing and there won't be a huge need for space.

Edited by Wurmhole

i made an 8k map for my server.  but it has a lot of rivers, so easy to get around, plus , my carts and wagons can travel upto 50ish km/h ,horses about 20-30 km/h without gear i think.  I hope to figue out how to increase boats too, so using a large map with be worth it if folks can get around easy and fast.

• Like 1

4k for any size server. Any bigger id want quicker vehicles involved. 

I prefer 2048 for same reason, that if I would play, I would do it with a small group of friends :) 4096 is okay, but it's awful to travel those huge distances without proper street systems.

Also...I did the calculations...if every tile in wurm is 4 meters (thats what wiki says) then a map of 2048x2048tiles is 8192x8192 meters = 67108864 square meters! thats 67 square kms!

I generally use 1024, because 90% of the time they are for testing stuff in, like mods, or GM stuff, like missions or such.

As a mostly solo player 1024 is more than large enough.

If I was setting up a small public server then 2048 would be perfectly adequate for a small one, 4096 or higher would be for a serious public server.

i made an 8k map for my server.  but it has a lot of rivers, so easy to get around, plus , my carts and wagons can travel upto 50ish km/h ,horses about 20-30 km/h without gear i think.  I hope to figue out how to increase boats too, so using a large map with be worth it if folks can get around easy and fast.

Must be hell on the wheels!  I think I just discovered where the "hell on wheels" saying comes from? Odd, I never thought about it until now.  Anyway, what did you tweak for wagon/cart speed?  I'm very interested.  My biggest concern is maneuverability at those speeds - doing a bunch of dirt dropping from the wagon/cart might be tough to get the position just right?  Mod with a "run fast" button would be sweet.

Even as single player I would prefer 2k over 1k to give more room to have a proper map with coasts leading to foothills leading to tall mountains on a couple islands, rather than a perlined map where every island looks identical to the other island.  If I start other alts their goal could be to spawn elsewhere and try to find the other alts places.

Certainly do need to take player population into account.   Indeed if it is 67sqkm then if there is 67 players that is 1sqkm each.  10sqkm if handful of friends, which is what the majority of servers are and is a huge amount of space for having isolated deeds.   Increasing travel speeds just makes the world inbetween towns seem smaller, might as well keep original speeds and stay smaller and get over the penile envy.  

I used to make maximum 100km in Unity and would up the speed to 300kph to explore them, and they seemed small because it only took 20m to cross the map, until I started walking them at 3kph and they became absolutely huge taking 33hrs to cross.  If you go to fast you just as well  implement fast travel teleports and have a town simulator with nothing in between so you do not actually have an open world because you would blur past whatever is there.  You quickly realize that distance is not measured in meters, it is measured in time.

Edited by yarnevk

Must be hell on the wheels!  I think I just discovered where the "hell on wheels" saying comes from? Odd, I never thought about it until now.  Anyway, what did you tweak for wagon/cart speed?  I'm very interested.  My biggest concern is maneuverability at those speeds - doing a bunch of dirt dropping from the wagon/cart might be tough to get the position just right?  Mod with a "run fast" button would be sweet.

the vehicles.class  edit max speed  539 is large cart and 850 is wagon.  but here's the trick don't take the 0.7 and 0.75   up to 40,  as it will reverse your keys, w = backward at like 56 km/h and s = forward at 22 km/h

edit maxspeed to -25.75   i think is what i did, to get 40+ km/h forward with w keep.    oh and one more odd issue,  don't put geared horses on, as it goes slower oddly.  best just using plain horses.   i think max max speed is 56km/h  like flight for GMs.

• Like 1

Going with 2k. Anything bigger and you'll probably never explore it all anyway.

I would go with 1k, but it depends on how the map is created. If you were to make sure there were plenty of 'interesting' places on the map, then I would prefer 1k.

That way, you could learn the layout of the whole and travel around fairly quickly, with many places built that are connected.

100 or more players can easily play on a 2048x  if you dont have 500 trader deeds....

• Like 1

When in a public server then as big as possible. I like to live far away from other players, in a secret valley of my own, no trespassers!

BUT a large map. with GM created deeds to find and explore. and one day run quests or missions.  mountain top deeds, island deeds hidden well by trees,  so many options.  I have a huge 8k map.  deeded a huge island 450x500 tiles i think.  creating a huge castle and town. plus hidden areas with dragons ect.  mainly this area is a starter deed, for everyone to start out and learn the game, open to craft, mine , ship build.  plan to create 50-100 home steads and let new players live in until they are ready to explore.

my personal plan when enough mods will help me,   Forgotten Relms type of settings.    I want to make the city of waterdeep, by the sea, make my fav castle darkhold up in the mountains, zhentil keep with HOTs towers and the black light near by.

I think first quest city i want to make, if i can find my sheets for it.pool of radiance Phlan,  i loved that game on  NES and PC so many yrs ago.

I have thoughts after opening the server, or 5-10 knarrs loaded up with new players sail off to some of these creations and quests.  later one make a small pvp server for that fun, dark vs light.

easy to use a large map, if you plan to create areas for exploring, and allow players to make their own, large enough to do so.

edit.  lol  Don't steal my idea...  come help if you want ,i'll be posting info soon.  just still editing server files.

Edited by validate

Validate, have ypu sailed to the west shores of Pristine, in WO? Tuanta spent a couple years making his version of Waterdeep.