Sign in to follow this  
Moha

Server Sync Issue

So I played about 8 hours last night on my new connected server cluster.  After doing a backup and restart of my servers this morning it has rolled my character back to pre-cluster transfer.  My inventory and all my items on my player are gone, my skills earned are gone.

Everything I built on the server and every item I dropped is still where I left it.  What the heck happened?  How do the servers sync player data?  Can I recover any of my stuff?

I once did something similar, here is how I  recovered:

When I made a backup of the server then restarted it, unbeknowst to me it chose to load a different version of my server than the one I "expected". I could not tell on the server dropdown list because the titles were so long. Also can happen if you have folders on both the \common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher  and the \common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server. They look the same but they are not.  You'll get a different location depending on whether you used "Dedicated server" or left it unchecked.

To try to save your old progress, this is what I would do

• shut down server and all wurm processes.
  • Now go through BOTH folders listed above.
  • Rename the most recent folders: Test1 Test2 and Test3
  • Start up the server for each folder, log in and look around. Now the next, now the next.

If one has your stuff you lost, rename that folder to the name you usually  use. 

If you don;t want to rename folders, just look on the server dropdown for similar names and try each one very carefully till you find the good one. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Problem is that it is a hosted server and I may not have access to these files.  Where do I find a person's inventory in the database so I can check the right files?

When I do backups, I copy the entire server folder into a zip file in a separate backups directory. It keeps things nice and clean.

Also make sure to use the shutdown command to close down the server.

Edited by Llurendt

This is still an issue...  3 of the players on my server are now out of sync.

Here is what I notice happening. 

1. I reboot the login server.

2. I reboot the expansion server.

3. I bring up the login server.

4. I bring up the expansion server.

5. When anyone logs in on the login server, they appear in the upper left corner of the map swimming in the water.  All the skills are rolled back to before they crossed the server line, all their gear is the same as before they crossed the server line.

There is no way to fix this issue, and I had it happen today without a restart to either server.  What gives? 

You said this is a hosted server. Honestly, if your host had any issues, that would explain things straight away.

A little lesson on what clusters do might help understand things as well:

1) All servers in a cluster must be slaved to a single log-in server. This is the server you must log in to. All other servers cannot have Login Server checked.

2) When you transfer between servers, the latest copy of your character is saved to the login server as well as copied to the server you are going to.

3) Your old data is left behind and never updated until you return - but the login server should always have your latest data.

This does not include structures and items in the game world. If you're finding that these were also reset, then I would suspect as Brash mentioned above - you're loading a copy of your server (do check the Windows title bar if you can - the full name should show there) - or your host restored data or changed something.

• Like 1

What if the character is not getting copied to the server I am going to?  What could be the cause of that?

I think I figured this out.  RMI was not enabled on server number two.  Now that it is enabled... all hell has broken lose.  I now see the achievement error someone spoke of before, and also, the login server ip got corrupted and it thinks a 6 is a 9 in an ip address... :( 

More news on this topc.  RMI is enabled on both servers.  The servers are running headless.  All the data and items sync between servers.  Everything seems to sync just fine.  When I run the global shutdown command from in-game and restart my servers, my players are teleported to 0,0 on the login server when they log back in.  

Looking in the database it says that the characters were last on the cluster server, yet once they login, it moves them to the login server and puts them at 0,0 on the map.  

Everything else seems to sync fine.  I am going to run a test today where I will logout on the cluster server and restart the servers with my dev account.  From there I will bring only the login server up.  In theory it should tell me that the server is not available for the character logged out on the cluster.  It should allow me to login with any other character logged out on the login server.

If it allows all characters to login to the login server then I should assume the issue is with something in the login server.  Because at this point it should assume the cluster is down and therefore that player cannot login.  If it allows me to login, then something is not respecting the player existing on the cluster server.  

I am also going to try to reproduce this on my local environment to eliminate it being a hosting issue.

I can't reproduce this on my local servers... It has to be something wrong with my hosted providers scripts....