Sign in to follow this  
asdf

[Fixed] Rarity on medi rug does nothing

So in WU code, rug rarity is used to increase your 'counter' (basically the action time) for skillgain purposes, eg (Cults.java):

power = meditation.skillCheck(difficulty2, rug, 0.0, !increaseSkill, counter / 3.0f * (1.0f + rug.getRarity() * 0.1f));

But the time is capped at 30 anyway, and testing in WO did show that rare rug with equal CoC doesn't increase skill tick size.

• Like 2

Any clues in there as why it is practically impossible to enlighten someone?

Yeah, at some point(was long time ago) I had my skilling rug go rare, when I imped it back up and the ticks stayed exactly the same as they were when the rug wasn't rare. I didn't even feel change in tick frequency back then.

Edited by rixk

Any clues in there as why it is practically impossible to enlighten someone?

The difficulty is level * 20, twice that of getting the question via meditation.

• Like 1

The difficulty is level * 20, twice that of getting the question via meditation.

So would the rare rug improve the chances of getting the question with someone being enlightened?

So would the rare rug improve the chances of getting the question with someone being enlightened?

Not in WU. Dunno about WO, of course.

Hm I'm not even close to an expert with code, but I'm pretty sure I saw a get rarity for questions?  Plus, with a not rare rug, it took me 28 hours to get 16th question.  Next attempt I used the same type/ql rug but rare and it took me 4 hours.  Either fluke, or rare helps

Rarity definitely helps with getting questions - as can be clearly seen when you try to get the 15th or even 16th question! (In WO, at least.)

Bumping because it's come up in chat a couple times.

It pretty clearly is a bug (even if the WU and WO code are different, this would still be a bug in WU!); there's no reason the developers would intentionally add a skillgain bonus they know won't do work or do anything. Seems like a simple oversight; it's trying to add to the effective action timer for the skill check to add 10% bonus skillgain per stage of rarity, but doesn't because the timer is already past the cap.

Edited by Ostentatio

does the ql of the rug actually affect skill gain when meditating?

8 hours ago, MootRed said:

does the ql of the rug actually affect skill gain when meditating?

it does indirect.

ql affects the rolls, including the hidden skill-up-check where you only gain skill on a 1-39 roll. with a 'too high' ql rug you usully hit above 39 on that hidden roll (same as mining).

back to OP - good find, rarity should not add to something that is already over the cap.

a way better effect of rarity would be to increase the range of the hidden roll, for example +10 per rarity level.

that would mean a skill-up on 1-49 for rare, 1-59 for supreme and 1-69 for fantastic (imho).

• Like 2

Does rarity affect question frequency, then?  Or is that another SD/casting myth?