Sign in to follow this  
megatarre

Names for cows pigs dogs etc...

Anyone to add the random name code to cows pigs dogs etc... when they are breed? I know some C# and still studying it but not so much java...

Actually it would be nice if we could just rename animals to whatever we want. Don't know how much that would take to implement though...

Seems to me that it might not be too hard to at least set the name for horses since there is already some code there that knows about unique names for the horses (the bred ones get a random name from a list, and there is a mod for modifying the list of possible names.

I have been playing with renaming animals this morning, and have actually managed to set names for several types of animals by modifying the wurmcreatures.db while the server is offline. This isn't a mod, and not an ideal way to do this, but I have at least verified that everything seems to work correctly even though I changed the animal's name (still haven't gotten offspring from a renamed animal yet, so I can't be sure that works yet). It does lead me to believe that it could be possible for a mod to do the random naming for other animals beside horses though.

For anyone that want to try this, I will explain how I do it, but I can't take any responsibility for you corrupting your database and having to start your world over. Be sure to make a backup of the database files before making changes, so at least you should be able to restore things.

You will need a program to modify the database - I am using SQLite DB Browser (http://sqlitebrowser.org/) but there are probably others that will work too. It will let you modify the .db files which are the file versions of the database. Note that these get loaded when the server starts, and replaced with the active database when the server shuts down. You must make changes to these when the server is not running!

To find the db files go to your Steam games directory, then into WurmUnlimited\WurmServerLauncher if you start the game from the client, or Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server if you run the standalone dedicated server. Once there go into the directory for your type game - Adventure or Creative (or whatever else you might have renamed it to). Then go into the sqlite directory where you should see some .db files.

First, you will need to know the "wurmid" of any creature you wish to rename. You can get that by being in GM mode, and doing a Get Info on each creature you wish to rename.

!!! Make sure the server isn't running and make a backup of the .db files before changing them. You might want to backup the entire Adventure or Creative directory to be safe.

Start SQLiteDBBrowser (if using something else the actual method may be different).

Open the Database wurmcreatures.db

Choose Browse Data and the table CREATURES

You should see a large list of creatures, including the NPCs if you are in Adventure mode. You will probably want to click on the WURMID column header to sort the list as there will be a lot of entries. Each creature will have it's NAME, a TEMPLATENAME which basically identifies the generic type of creature it is, and a load of other fields. Some creatures will have a different name when they are very young. For example, a baby horse is called a Foal not a Horse, and a baby cow or bull is a Calf.

When you find the right WURMID make sure it is the creature type you expect so you don't change the wrong creature. Type in your new name. Make sure it is the NAME and not TEMPLATENAME that you change. I don't recommend changing any other fields, or you are on your own and might cause database/game problems if you do.

Make sure you Write Changes (button on top) so it commits the change to the db file or your name change is lost.

You should now be able to restart your server and should verify that the changes took place.

If you have problems then you can always try restoring the saved files (make sure server isn't running when you do). You did make backups, right? :)

* I have noticed that names for animals other than horses always seem to end up lowercase even if you use uppercase in the database. There must be somewhere in the code where this is being done, and I don't know of any way to change that behavior.

**** I really hope that someone could come up with a mod for renaming creatures without having to resort to database edits. I haven't really done any Java programming for about 15 years, so I would have to relearn a fair bit before I could tackle a mod myself. Perhaps this will give some mod writer some ideas though.

I've been wanting this for soooo long.  For now, I have resorted to branding and naming animals, but not only does that require manually doing so, you can only have a limited number of branded animals in a settlement.  I did devised naming convention for cows and sheep, though.  The sheep I have given "old timey" names like "Dolores, Otis, Henry, Agnes, Mildred" and the cattle are similar to horses, but with more cow-like names: "OldeBess, BigEarl, BlueTank, DaisyMay".

The offspring names mod now let's you make a naming tag to give names to horses and cows/bulls. It also gives you the option to add or replace the normal default horse offspring names as well.