Sign in to follow this  
Uberknot

No flowers on WU (SOLVED)+

I have no flowers on WU that's a BUG I think. Using Budda's map maker that's it.

Edited by Uberknot

I've also had my custom map running for about a couple weeks now and have yet to see any flowers spawn in. According to the Wurmpedia they are supposed to randomly spawn in. I'm thinking there might be something different that must be done in order to initiate this. Perhaps someone who has got it working for their server or a developer could chime in with some helpful hints :)

Edited by Drakeling
  • Like 2

Same problem, same map gen.

Even if they are not set in the map gen they should be randomly generated on runtime. Also grass tiles are not growing or spreading.

• Like 1

Im surprised that no GM/DEV has answered that very important issue...

i believe its a map generation issue , and more to do with the API as there is flowers on my adventure map, we shall ask the mighty Eitr x)

Edited by Aum

Just took a look at the code for naturally spawning flowers, and came across this gem: http://pastie.org/private/2hxponyzyzpwiiqvvsqq

Whoever wrote that code either doesn't understand or forgot how Java passes references, but either way that's why there are no natural flower spawns.

Edit: I gave someone a script that adds flowers to existing maps, I'll clean it up a little bit and post soon.

Edited by Jonneh
  • Like 5

Just took a look at the code for naturally spawning flowers, and came across this gem: http://pastie.org/private/2hxponyzyzpwiiqvvsqq

Whoever wrote that code either doesn't understand or forgot how Java passes references, but either way that's why there are no natural flower spawns.

Edit: I gave someone a script that adds flowers to existing maps, I'll clean it up a little bit and post soon.

please dear god help us!!! they won't

Haha omg. what a nonsense code....

As promised earlier, here's a simple Java program to add flowers to an existing map: http://wyverngame.com/flowerspawner.jar

Needs to be run with 3 arguments: original top_layer.map path, new top_layer.map path and percent chance for flowers on each grass tile (this can be floating point)

If it works properly, the output should be something similar to this

>$ java -jar flowerspawner.jar top_layer.map top_layer_flowers.map 25
Creating flowers on existing grass with ~25% chance
Loaded 'top_layer.map' with size 4096
0%
3%
93%
96%
Finished, written to 'top_layer_flowers.map'

Keep a backup of the original top_layer.map just in case anything goes wrong.

Here's the code if anyone wants to mess around with the flower type chances etc: http://pastie.org/pastes/10557593/text?key=psyvgrhs7epdjmsjt9teta

Edited by Jonneh
  • Like 3

As promised earlier, here's a simple Java program to add flowers to an existing map: http://wyverngame.com/flowerspawner.jar

Needs to be run with 3 arguments: original top_layer.map path, new top_layer.map path and percent chance for flowers on each grass tile (this can be floating point)

If it works properly, the output should be something similar to this

>$ java -jar flowerspawner.jar top_layer.map top_layer_flowers.map 25

Creating flowers on existing grass with ~25% chance

Loaded 'top_layer.map' with size 4096

0%

3%

93%

96%

Finished, written to 'top_layer_flowers.map'

Keep a backup of the original top_layer.map just in case anything goes wrong.

Here's the code if anyone wants to mess around with the flower type chances etc: http://pastie.org/pastes/10557593/text?key=psyvgrhs7epdjmsjt9teta

So is that something you would remove after using one time and out back the original?

Like i add that to the packs? run the game once then remove it?

I don't want to respawn flowers every time I run the game.

Is this something that can be used on a server that is already established and has people without having to completely redo the server?

Just a bit confused with the instructions....is that an executable file i can run and just add flowers to my server?

Edited by Uberknot

So is that something you would remove after using one time and out back the original?

Like i add that to the packs? run the game once then remove it?

I don't want to respawn flowers every time I run the game.

Is this something that can be used on a server that is already established and has people without having to completely redo the server?

Just a bit confused with the instructions....is that an executable file i can run and just add flowers to my server?

It's just a run once program that modifies the map, doesn't need to be added to anything, although you'll need to shut down the server while you swap out the map files.

Needs to be run from command line (or a batch/shell script) like 'java -jar flowerspawner.jar top_layer.map top_layer_flowers.map 25'.

You'll need to either have the top_layer.map in the same directory as the flowerspawner.jar or specify the entire path.

Edited by Jonneh

Jonneh, you are a lifesaver :3 Can't thank you enough, I wasn't looking forward to having to start over once this gets fixed in the generators but now I don't have to worry about that anymore.

It's just a run once program that modifies the map, doesn't need to be added to anything, although you'll need to shut down the server while you swap out the map files.

Needs to be run from command line (or a batch/shell script) like 'java -jar flowerspawner.jar top_layer.map top_layer_flowers.map 25'.

You'll need to either have the top_layer.map in the same directory as the flowerspawner.jar or specify the entire path.

Edited by Uberknot

Not sure I'm following this.  Seems like the problem is with the server code so is this script really fixing the issue or just spawning a lot of flowers that wont grow back on their own?

Not sure I'm following this.  Seems like the problem is with the server code so is this script really fixing the issue or just spawning a lot of flowers that wont grow back on their own?

No idea the game should spawn flower from grass tiles I guess either 1 it takes a long long time....or 2 its not working.

this would spawn them in the map file only on grass tiles I think.

Edited by Uberknot

Ran this script and the flowers are in bloom!  Its nice to see them scattered all throughout the lands again

A fix for the issue Jonneh mentioned above has been pushed and is pending approval.

Even when this fix is released, keep in mind that it's a random chance for a grass tile to spawn flowers. I'd recommend using the script he provided to get your initial dose of flowers. :)

I just ran it through the command-line, do you get an error when you try that? You might want to check if Windows hasn't decided to block the jar file. You can find out under Properties of the file.

I'll look into it later it says unable to access.....so its blocked somehow.

permissions all say allow.

avast was running so ill turn that off next time, but it did not pop up any messages.

Edited by Uberknot

Ran the script and it worked fantastic. I must have been missing flowers because I set mine to 40% instead of the default 25. Looks great!

Alright. Windows sometimes blocks files you download from the internet when it thinks they may be harmful. When the Properties window opens, you'll know it immediately as there'll be a text and button to unblock near the OK and Cancel buttons.

Good luck!

Edited by Uberknot

I'm having the same issue (program not starting on double click) on windows 7 and windows 8.1 although I haven't tried the command line deal.

[edit] It is NOT blocked by windows, I already unblocked it so I'm not sure what the problem is

Edited by Mykael

although I haven't tried the command line deal.

so I'm not sure what the problem is

It's a command-line only tool so double-clicking it isn't going to do you any good.

It's a command-line only tool so double-clicking it isn't going to do you any good.

yeah you have to run "  java -jar flowerspawner.jar top_layer.map top_layer_flowers.map 25  " in the CMD window.

Both files need to be in the same place and the command line must give the exact place its located.

C:\users\(name)>java -jar flowerspawner.jar top_layer.map top_layer_flowers.map 35

Is what I had to use to get mine to go and both files had to be in the users\(name) folder.