Sign in to follow this  
Sklo:D

Players stuck at connecting to the server

Some players get stuck at Connecting to the server after some time.

Only a restart can fix that. Not sure why it happens though.

Any info on this?

I wouldn't wonder if this bug appears in WO too but it's a common WU problem on bigger servers as it seems.

turn on devmode logging and you will see why it happen:)

in wurm.ini - devmode = true

in LaunchConfig.ini = DebugMode=1

turn on devmode logging and you will see why it happen:)

in wurm.ini - devmode = true

in LaunchConfig.ini = DebugMode=1

and where do I locate this ?   Please

Edit:   found a wurm.ini in my Creative_backup folder if that is what your referring to

But havent found the other yet     Edit:  found in my WurmServerLauncher folder

Now what or where is the info supposed to show that tells why this is happening?   please

Edited by PurplePea413

in console window (black one with text) and in wurm.log

DB name \ logs \ wurm.log

Edited by masaykh

This is really annoying. I am on Sklo's server, and it's a great server, except that I have to wait for a server reboot to log in again when this happens. Please fix this in WU. Thanks.

Ok guys, had this problem with a couple of people over the last 2 days. We did a lot of research, trouble shooting and trial and error.

Note to devs: This seems to be an issue with steam authentication. Steam does some update to the authentication tickets for some but not all steam accounts. It seems that the server has the authentication cached, so when steam updates an accounts auth, when they try to connect, and the authticket they have vs the authticket the server has in cache do not match, the connection gets droped, and they are stuck on connecting to server, sending/receiving no bytes. Also when this happens the client never reverts to the network error/attempting to reconnect. Now I am not sure if this is an auth ticket issue, or a fault in the login system, as this used to happen to me on WO but would clear itself up after several hours.

During testing, this is the error the logs show when a person effected by this is trying to log in: Dec 08, 2015 11:36:16 PM com.wurmonline.server.steam.SteamHandler onValidateAuthTicketResponse
INFO: Client was  NOT Authenticated

Now back to the issue at hand and the dirty fixes. 2 things that can be done. Neither of these should be done before you have the person affected try basic troubleshooting first. Have them ipconfig /flushdns in a console window, and have them reboot their router. If that does not work, then:

Method 1 (not good as doing this for 1 person effects your entire playerbase): Restart the server. Seems to work almost 100% of the time.

Method 2 (little tricky but works every time so far): Have them set up a second steam account if they do not have one already. Have them set up family sharing, and share Wurm Unlimited with the other steam account. Get the steam ID (the long one, example 76561xxxxxxxxxxxx).

As a dev GM (may work with Arch not sure), in game type #changepassword <character name> <longSteamID>

Then they can log in with their secondary steam account. This fix works, but they may not like to keep it there, so you would either need to change it back for them after your next server restart, or teach them how to change their password themself to their original longSteamID.

Neither of these fixes are fun to do, but it is part of doing proper support until hopefully the devs can use the information we provide to fix the issue.

Hope this helps!

-Dev Xype, Mythmoor Admin.

Edited by Xyp
  • Like 1

We've had this issue as well.  Came to the same conclusions.    Note Method 2 is messy... Really messy.

Hope they fix this asap.    I hate steam. 

My server is also affected by this issue and did not occur until the 12/03/2015 Official Wurm Unlimited Server update.

Edited by WesncIsMe