Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

I feel like I'm playing a dying game...

Celebration Server wasn't in best shape before Xana hit with old and unused buildings and fences all over.

Celebration is pretty far from most servers, plus the former New Cluster open up at the same time one year ago hurt it also.

Was a pretty good server to hunt and had low lag compared with the other servers if I recall correctly

I only log in now for about 30 - 60 minutes just to check my animals and farm.  Used to be once a day for 2 weeks, now it's about every 2-3 days.  I'm actually thinking of just not logging in anymore, but my horses is the only thing that keep me wanting to login to check.  I've paid over a year for upkeep on my deed but just don't feel like doing anything else.  Tired of building houses, but people will say this is a building MMO and nothing else.  Well I guess I'm tired of building and RNG fighting.

There are people I used to run with that have also disapeared into thin air for weeks/months now so I'm getting bored from no interaction.  I'm not into single player Wurm (WU).  WO community is awesome though (probably the best).  The community is what has brought and kept me in this game, but seems the community is dying which is why I'm losing interest.

A few weeks ago was amazing.  There were tons of people all over "local" everywhere I went.  Must have been from the WU free month or something.  So a lot of people came, spent their 30 days and now they are gone.  My local has been dead for almost 2 weeks now.  :(   Lots of deed stones came up and now about to fall.  I know Fallout 4 is out, but I want to gamble that %80 of the population missing right now is not from Fallout 4.  Well maybe though....

Funny thing is I like the game so much that I will continue paying for a while even if I don't play to support it in case I still want to jump in to check it out without skill drop.  Just won't pay for my alts anymore.  It feels like a second life to me which I really enjoy, but got boring.  At least in real life I can fabricate something new to do, but in Wurm I have to wait for the developers to fabricate it for me.  I put so much time into this game I don't want to see my deed or this game fall, but just lost interest.  Small investment to keep my mind at ease until I don't feel like paying anymore.

I don't call it burned out, just bored out for now.  I've already moved a couple of times and not moving again.

This is all of my own opionion.  You can flame or troll as you please.  Game is amazing and I hope it picks back up and the new development gets some nice new features/upgrades.

Maybe Wurm 4.0 is has a surprise in it?  Wurm 3.9999999999999999......for now though.

Edited by nicedreams

I am sure , for me personally  travel times deter me from visiting places like Cele.  It is just too many hours sailing unless I watch and plan carefully for a good wind.   Not something I am likely to do for a quick trip just to go look around, say hi and do a bit of hunting.  I know nothing happens fast in Wurm, unfortunately I regret our travel over water is not a bit faster.

• Like 1

I am sure , for me personally  travel times deter me from visiting places like Cele.  It is just too many hours sailing unless I watch and plan carefully for a good wind.   Not something I am likely to do for a quick trip just to go look around, say hi and do a bit of hunting.  I know nothing happens fast in Wurm, unfortunately I regret our travel over water is not a bit faster.

Indeed. Exploration is one of the best parts of Wurm...it is just such a hassle and time sink at times though.

If you leave for a trip, you've got to have your crops all harvested, animals left with plenty of food, even some items that decay quickly you've got to make sure are packed away correctly. Then when you are traveling, the move speed is slow, can't take your horses over the border and can only bring what will fit in your ship. So, if you're wanting to visit Cele, you'd better have someone willing to hook you up with at least 1 horse etc.

At least with faster (much faster) ship move speed (make it like this on PvE only...w/e) it wouldn't take 12 hours to go west cele to east pristine in poor wind.

I feel like the lack of travel helps make Wurm feel more isolated than it really is. There are hundreds of people...just spread so few and far between that it's a rare event to bump into anyone.

(We've tried living close together, but people spread out as everyone wants to be the mayor and have the perfect deed location)

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 1

Make the world Round... pristine and release  hooked to other side of chaos

North side of Xanadu hooked to Independence  and south side Xanadu hooked to south side of celebration

get people closer to each other.

And FIX the DAMN BUG's( fairly i add. if someone grind skill to 70 or 90 with a bug. take it away..)

seen this over and over people got highskill back with this bug or that bug. and they let it ride. like (Fountion Pans)(spelling)

it puts hard feeling on bothside..fix it when it happens or u find it. or let it ride..

Tell truth yesterday i about blow everthing up all my deed's and just flooded the market with more high end Stuff.

Was so pissed off About the lack oh Understanding Why the Hell Coder's Put hard Limits ON thing?

Have u Ever Heard OF...java if statement string...

Ill be making a Post about that in Bit

AND FIX... The Grief Objects. it has Been over a Year... (seems I Reported this) they can be be still Made and Used as this..

Hell i Been Temped To use them a Few Times.

Good Case in Point. http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/128269-mercury-lake-canal-project-central-bay-alliance/

I dropped Over 40s worth of Deeds just to Stop One Person. from going out of there way to stop this.

Not Becuz it was Near him But Becuz he Could and he wanted to Troll.. 16 Of These Reported Bug's Would Of Saved me 30s. but Would of Made the Land Unusable For all and Forever.

Let Player Base Control Some of the Game User Interface.. move That part of the Game To a Folder its Clint Side anyways.

The Mod's Just to the UI will Improve the Game 60%..

I Want Wurm to Be all The Game it Could BE. And its one of the Reason i am so Hard On it .

Ill Stop Here. for Know..

• Like 2

Spherical world has been suggested time and time again...no idea why it keeps getting turned down.

Im not into single player Wurm (WU).  

Me neither. That's why i play on Wyvern that has more players than any server in WO apart from Xanadu. At one point it had more than Xanadu, and had more players than all the WO servers combined except Xanadu. 

I used to be against WU because I always thought it would be a fck up. Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. Now that I've experienced WU I can safely say that I could never go back to WO anymore. I play on an active server with a bunch of other people with 8x the skill rate and 3x the action timers. It turns out that wurm is in fact better when it's quicker and has viable ways of making money in game, so you don't lose your real life fortunes to have some decent fun in a gmae. I think wurm online is one of the very few, if not the only bigger game ever that is apparantly BETTER in the hands of the players.

Me neither. That's why i play on Wyvern that has more players than any server in WO apart from Xanadu. At one point it had more than Xanadu, and had more players than all the WO servers combined except Xanadu. 

Hi,

First off, I'm not interested in WU.

So am I, and I'd never want to have Steam crapware running on my systems. So WU is off limits to me.

About the state of game, at example "Independence":
We're in a 20+ deeds Indy ally. Since WU we're almost alone. They're all out fighting their WU server options, while their WO deeds are falling apart.

We're at the E entry of the Kinoss Bay Canal - the area is dead now. No more ppl in local, and riding further shows 1 still active deed for 2 - 3 deed ruins. 103 players on Indy atm, sunday evening, usually prime time - there's something wrong.

Since Rolf decided it was a good idea to have freebies on Indy I just see a steady decline - at this moment at least half of my long time (premium) friends left for good. For sure, we got flooded with locust freebies that repelled another 50% of the remaining long time (premium) server population. Before realizing that it's just not this, that trees only regrow very slowly, and that it's just a PITA. Leaving for good, leaving a disgusting mess after 'em.

After the "locust invasion" Indy slowly recovered. Until the new servers opened. Each one sucked players away. Later, each untested update disaster repelled few or more premium players. Before WU, we had at least a basic ally on-line at good times, still. But since, not anymore.

It may be that they'd come back. It may be that new players may come, but Golden Valley help chat is very quiet, and we've not seen a newbie in our area since ages. (Seems the hope that WU would bring players to WO is futile)

You're right, this looks like an dying game. And the decisions of CodeClub what to do seems very strange, to use friendly words.

Have fun, and let's hope the best, OK?

• Like 1

celebration died  long time ago hasnt had over 20 people since Xan opened has nothing to do with WU has to do with you stayed and everyone lees moved 

please keep opening topics like that guys, so the new players who want to try this game turn back after a quick look at the forums

• Like 8

please keep opening topics like that guys, so the new players who want to try this game turn back after a quick look at the forums

• Like 1

Ahh, I see we now move from the "denial" phase to the infamous "blame the victim" phase.

When the company makes a potentially very damaging move, and someone speaks up about it, what do we do?  We ridicule them.

When it turns out they are right, what do we do? We blame them.

Ahh, I see we now move from the "denial" phase to the infamous "blame the victim" phase.

When the company makes a potentially very damaging move, and someone speaks up about it, what do we do?  We ridicule them.

When it turns out they are right, what do we do? We blame them.

Wouldn't say that WU is a damaging move since we all know that 99% of the mods people are working on it are for solo play, or very small groups.

So in 6-12 months WU will play and look and act a lot different then WO

Only damaging move is not telling people their plans including update on 3D mines, combat overhaul, and a few other carrots 

Edited by enoofu

I spent 300euro on them as well as another 50euro/silver for my large magical chest in which to store them.

Maybe it's time you go outside.

• Like 2

The lack of players is extremely time dependent, in the summer we see a large influx of players, that all go again when school starts.

When big AAA games are released, Wurm usually goes quiet for a while (in thise case fallout 4).

And WU, I dont know, I bought it, and its fun to mess around in, but its not keeping me hooked. Mostly because I can be a Rolf-lvl-gm (= no challenge, and why should I challenge myself in a single player sandbox) and secondly, because I dont feel like spending time on private servers atm, for them being potential short-lived.

And probably the main reason: I'm still to damn hooked on WO.

But Rolf will have to look at the price of WO very soon. He raised the prem price by 60% in the past, but it was a huge mistake to raise the gold price by 60% to. And dont give me VAT's excuses, he could have simply added vat's to the prem price and left the gold price alone (taking a small "loss" in income there).

The excuse was that they wanted to keep the ingame-prem you can buy with silver at 10s, so yeah, goldprice in the shop had to rise to.

That is still a big issue, because, if you start calculating with what you can buy with 100s... then 160euro is ALLOT of money for the stuff you can buy.

This comes down to:

80 euros for a large magical chest

40 euros for a small magical chest

16 euros for a simple merchant.

8 euros for a small 1hour sleepbonus

Seeing it in that perspective, wurm is very expensive, I havent come across many games that offcially sell 1 single game item for 80euros.

Imagen being a new player, having a blast with WO on your 1s upkeep deed, your skills are coming along nicely and you start wanting a bit more space to have fun on. You start looking at the prices and soon come to the conclusion that it can become expensive rather soon if you want to play this game for a long time.

I started out that way to.

Found out about Wurm, played on GV for half a year, it openend to independence, and suddenly I saw all these huge deeds with awesome buildings on it, so I started premming my main char for a full year (+50 euros/year) and together with a few other people we started a deed.
* Time goes by, I prem a second char to have a mag priest (+50euros/year)

* Time goes by, orginal village members leave, leaving us with 2 to pay the upkeep (+9s)

* Time goes by, I start seeing the benefits of magcial chests, drake armour, high enchanted weapons, traders (single purchase of around 200euros worth of ingame items)

* Time goes by, my fellow villager founds various deeds around our main one (luckily pays for the upkeep himself, but main deed now becomes my responsibility to pay upkeep for. (+9s/month)

* Time goes by, I prem a third character to help my main with resources/terraforming/mining. (+50 euros/year)

* Time goes by, Rolf raises prices with 60%, I keep my main and mag priest for another year (150euros/year for 3 chars turns into 180 euro/year for 2 chars)

My deed stays the 9s, but now I only have 2 prem chars that cost me more then my 3 prem chars before the price increase.

Basically, I started playing Wurm when prices were "acceptable", so I played allot, and by the time Rolf raised his prices by 60% I already had a good paying solid job, so the extra cost I could carry with no problem at all and keep playing Wurm the way I was used to.

But new people starting now, start off with the high prices for prem/gold. Alongside personal taste of videogames, many are most likely leaving, because they cant keep up with those monthly costs.

Offering those new players a onetime 30euro purchase to play a single player copy of Wurm, well... then you have to be a rather wealthy and harcore gamer (who loves the challenge and reward of grinding/building like there is no tomorrow) to even give WO a long term try.

That said, I dont see WO dying any time soon, but I dont see it growing either, old people will stay (some leaving) but hardly any new blood will join the offcial servers for a long stay. (and Rolf with his must-have-more-servers-craze, did spread out the community to much, resulting in some servers slowly dying out atm).

Living in southern Xanadu and haven't noticed any change in how many folks are out and about in the area. However I have noticed that horse sales stopped completely. Haven't had a single horse sell after WU.

But I'm not worried as I believe this is temporary. Sure, some people may have gone to WU for good, but the following scenarios will also bring some people back to WO:

• They realize the instability and insecurity of playing on a player run server. Imagine putting hours into the grind and building up your deed, only to have a player decide to take it down for whatever reason
  • They find themselves irritated by how a player run server is balanced. What at first felt fun and novel, turned out to feel too easy or unbalanced and the sense of achievement is soon lost
  • They get irritated by game masters who keep adjusting and tweaking things like skills and spawn rate, making it so you can never quite depend on anything (and sure it happens in WO as well of course, but only with good reason and done gently and with care)
  • Although I'm sure the majority of game masters out there are good people with good intentions, there will be those who have personality issues and suddenly it's not so fun to be under the mercy of a tyrant
  • Speaking of tyrants, they get tired of feeling like they need to "suck up" to whoever happens to be running the server and probably suck up to the GMs buddies too
  • They are left feeling like they're not experiencing the "real thing"
  • They get tired of the server being down again because someone's computer running the server crashed again
  • And I'm sure there are other reasons as well
WO offers a stable, consistent MMO where everyone is equal, everyone plays under the same rules. No worries about not being able to log on. No worries about losing all the work you put into your character and deed. No evil manipulation by corrupt GMs.

Right now WU is still the new and exciting thing and although I'm sure there will be stable long living servers with honest GMs running them for the right reasons, it's only a matter of time until some folks will come back to us, one by one when things go badly wrong.

Besides, WU has generated a lot of interest in WO - I've met so many newbies lately it's unreal.

So don't give up quite yet :)

This is a very big rant. Click at your own risk

Hate to say this as I respect most of them but it needs to be said.

All of your points can be directly shot right into WO at this point.

Yeah, many WU servers will fall. Some will have bad management, some even being just as, dare I say it, competitive for "staff spots" on WO.

And, a few will surpass (and I'd wager a few I've seen, already have) the stability, while also acquiring staff that are actually there for helping, instead of "look at my shiny title". As well as add features that, We here, have to scratch are heads and wonder why they haven't been implemented, or sooner. (Dirt like mining, forges able to hold a lot...and no I mean more then the terrible double they just did, ect)

I know your not speaking for all of WU, but the picture your trying to paint is the one we're all in right now. And bad decisions made by a few lately have been making a lot of people lose all there trust. (Take note in the big people leaving, as well as the small)

And there's a reason a few staff have retired. Sadly I've known many good ones that have done so, because of the way people view them from there fellow co helpers. Or because they no longer wish to be with those people.

I've also seen "friends" go in, and get completely corrupted from it. Though I know this is common from my past of running servers.

Right now, Wurm Online is looking very bad in my eyes. I won't speak for others, but I'd argue I'm not the only one who's noticing a lot of mistakes. Especially recently.

It's not fallout 4 (though that's why a lot are offline) it's the way WO is being ran.

(A slight note, I've had only positive interaction when dealing with staff on official things, granted all of mine are from Enki or a now retired staff member)

For now I'm just going to let my prems expire, as I really don't see myself having fun any longer.

Slight side note

there ARE good people in the player staff. And to those (that I feel are fewer and fewer) I give thanks to for helping people, and attempting to make Wurm enjoyable for those with the issues. The main thing I look for in staff myself is the "need" to help others. Because you get the enjoyment from that above all else. Know that there are those that appreciate that, they're just as rare as those that have that need.

• Like 1

Yes, people have moved to WU, as expected.  However, far more Wurm virgins are playing WU than WO veterans.  WU is the single best marketing effort from Code Club... Ever.  In the short term, we see WO thin out significantly.  In the long run, we WILL see Rolf introduce new Code Club hosted WO servers, incorporating some of the best loved features of WU mods, as well as a new subscription model.

Games today are very fast paced and played in short bursts of time.  Very few people have time to dedicate hours a day to a game.  Most are lucky to find a solid 30 min a day for a game.  People want variety.  They want all the content unlocked and available to play.  You won't find one in 10,000 players that looks forward to a game that takes multiple years to reach the end game.  If Rolf wants to capture the WU player base and revitalize WO, he will have to adapt.

Does it mean the end of the old school servers?  Only if the old school players bail out in favor of the new.  What will new and improved WO look like?  I'm going to guess a few things will happen:

1. New game account system - either a one time purchase for your alt on Steam, or if managed by CC, then one account with multi alts, but only a single monthly sub for them all.  Probably 5 alts max.

2. Removing restrictions on priests/spells that prevent a solo character from casting the big spells.

3. 3x to 5x (more?) skill gains and action timers.

4. New map styles.

5. Free deeding and upkeep for subscribing players (with certain size limitations).

6. Removal of decay on EVERYTHING on deed.

7. A new option for deed holders: Pause growth... lets you keep your critters and crops from aging when you have to take a few days or weeks off.  It is highly demotivating to spend half a day working on a big new crop and then return a week later to weeds.  Not to mention the poor folks that take a few months off and see all their animals expire. Obviously, this is a feature you don't need if you share a deed with others that can maintain it for you, but many have solo deeds.  I quit farming and breeding because of the losses and those are two fun parts of the game for me.

8. Fast travel to other servers.  Slow travel makes people clump to the most populated server.  If there was fast travel between, then you would not have that isolated feeling on the remote edge servers.  For goodness sakes, magic does exist in the game.  Let's put it to work!

These new clusters of WO would have to be separate from "classic WO".  Classic WO would thin out even more.  No need to shut down the old stuff, as with fewer people and items, the server resources are minimal.  Could run each server in a VM and all on a single hardware server quite easily.  Heck, my 1million critter server is only eating 1.7GB of ram so far.

Well, that is my prediction of the future.

• Like 5

Ah nevermind, no more rants from me    :P

Edited by Cista

I totally understand Cista. That is why they would have to keep the old servers separate, preserving the old skilling work. However, not much to be done about population declining there.

I only log in now for about 30 - 60 minutes just to check my animals and farm.  Used to be once a day for 2 weeks, now it's about every 2-3 days.  I'm actually thinking of just not logging in anymore, but my horses is the only thing that keep me wanting to login to check.  I've paid over a year for upkeep on my deed but just don't feel like doing anything else.  Tired of building houses, but people will say this is a building MMO and nothing else.  Well I guess I'm tired of building and RNG fighting.

There are people I used to run with that have also disapeared into thin air for weeks/months now so I'm getting bored from no interaction.  I'm not into single player Wurm (WU).  WO community is awesome though (probably the best).  The community is what has brought and kept me in this game, but seems the community is dying which is why I'm losing interest.

A few weeks ago was amazing.  There were tons of people all over "local" everywhere I went.  Must have been from the WU free month or something.  So a lot of people came, spent their 30 days and now they are gone.  My local has been dead for almost 2 weeks now.  :(   Lots of deed stones came up and now about to fall.  I know Fallout 4 is out, but I want to gamble that %80 of the population missing right now is not from Fallout 4.  Well maybe though....

Funny thing is I like the game so much that I will continue paying for a while even if I don't play to support it in case I still want to jump in to check it out without skill drop.  Just won't pay for my alts anymore.  It feels like a second life to me which I really enjoy, but got boring.  At least in real life I can fabricate something new to do, but in Wurm I have to wait for the developers to fabricate it for me.  I put so much time into this game I don't want to see my deed or this game fall, but just lost interest.  Small investment to keep my mind at ease until I don't feel like paying anymore.

I don't call it burned out, just bored out for now.  I've already moved a couple of times and not moving again.

This is all of my own opionion.  You can flame or troll as you please.  Game is amazing and I hope it picks back up and the new development gets some nice new features/upgrades.

Maybe Wurm 4.0 is has a surprise in it?  Wurm 3.9999999999999999......for now though.

Pretty much what happened to me. I am loving Wu server I run however. My friends are all with me the "village" pretty much from Indy. Yes they will be in and out, but it will always be ours and I never have to pay for it again. So that works for me. 

For me it is not so much a case of WO dying out, But more a case of getting frustrated to the point of ranting about the total lack of respect Rolf has for his customers and the total lack of communication about anything.

Compare the news feeds to last year when RedBaron was writing the weekly news, Was always something in those news feeds to reassure the community that the Devs are working on items and had certain things planned for the future.

All we get now is a few brief words and a weekly screenshot ^^.

• Like 3

The lack of players is extremely time dependent, in the summer we see a large influx of players, that all go again when school starts.

This one was in response to this awful logic for Summer, dated July 9, 2015:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/126699-how-come-so-many-are-quitting-right-now/?p=1303479

This one was in response to this awful logic for New Years, dated January 12, 2015:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/116954-where-is-storm/?p=1195777

This one was in response to this awful logic for Winter, dated December 9, 2014:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/115159-what-happened/#entry1176681

Please pick from one of the following interchangeable excuses:

It's past New Years, everyone is burned out.

It's past Valentine's day, everyone is burned out.

It's Spring Time, everyone is burned out.

It's Summer Time, everybody is burned out.

School is starting, everyone is burned out.

It's Fall, everyone is burned out.

It's Halloween, everyone is burned out.

It's Winter, everyone is burned out.

It's almost Christmas, everyone is burned out.

It's almost New Years, everyone is burned out.

The real reasons are more likely to be because there is a very large and anticipated patch on the way for Wurm, and the largest influxes and reductions in playerbase happen around these times. Most people subconsciously or intentionally take a break before the patch comes out so they can fully enjoy the patch when it comes out. After the patch is out, expect the early-morning population to shoot back up to 600/8000, and daytime population to reach 1400/8000 again. A couple months after the patch, expect the population to dip even below our current numbers. It's just the will of the people, and the people are fickle. There have also been a slew of fairly highly anticipated single player games that have come out for the PC over the last few weeks, which, as Civilization BE has shown us, drops the number substantially until people get sick of those games and come back to Wurm.

I don't know why people's first go-to excuse is the time of year it is, predominantly because that fallacy of an excuse is so ridiculously interchangeable that it has absolutely no meaning.

I'm going to start collecting quotes to use in future threads.

Next time lead with this instead, because it's actually correct:

When big AAA games are released, Wurm usually goes quiet for a while (in thise case fallout 4).

Also... my earlier predictions have been scarily correct lately. It's starting to spook me out.

After the patch is out, expect the early-morning population to shoot back up to 600/8000, and daytime population to reach 1400/8000 again. A couple months after the patch, expect the population to dip even below our current numbers. It's just the will of the people, and the people are fickle.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 1