Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

I feel like I'm playing a dying game...

Just my humble opinion but there are many things that drive people away from WO PVE Servers and towards WU. Just to name a few:

- Lacking griefer protection.

Under the current WO rules a griefer is (most of the times) under better protection than the one being griefed. So if people want to avoid that they make their own WU server and whitelist it so only their friends can join.

- High entry treshold for economy

To enter the item market of WO you either have to buy an old char or grind for several month. No one wants to buy tools, weapons, armor or enchants (or anything else) with low ql or power since all the old accounts flood the market with cheap stuff of ql 80+. WO missed the chance they had with xanadu. Connecting the Server with the others was one of the biggest mistakes.

- Custom maps in WU

If you follow the WU part of the forum you see many custom maps that are a lot better than anything we have in WO. With the map editor there is even the possibility of rivers or adding adamantium and glimmersteel to the ore table, something that is strictly pvp maps in WO.

-Modding Community in WO

There are several mods für WU. From the mod that allows a priest to be self sufficient, no more weeds with farming, Seryll lumps as "Gems" while mining towards reskinning and remodelling new breedable animals into the game etc. etc.

The community of WU has added more quality of life content to the game since release than Rolfs team did in the last 6 month. And the best of it is that each serveradmin chan choose what he wants on his server.

There is a lot more, but to sum it up:

Why should a player (or a group of friends) chose the hard and fixed "World" of WO and pay for it every month, when he can have nearly the same game but as a "a la carte" menue for less money if they play longer than 3 or 4 month?

• Like 2

I think it was Kegan that made the point about playing for money rather than  entertainment.  While I have several marketable skills I rarely use them, because i have more fun doing "stuff" whether that is build a friend a bed or make  5k mortar for another friend's building project.  In this way WO still has a very strong appeal to me. I just flat out enjoy it. 

Hopefully you and others will find their "happy place" in WO and stick with it. 

I admit I do  get sad when I see 90 ws imps going for 40c . Devaluing skills does bum me out. 

Edited by Chiqa
  • Like 3

Why should a player (or a group of friends) chose the hard and fixed "World" of WO and pay for it every month, when he can have nearly the same game but as a "a la carte" menue for less money if they play longer than 3 or 4 month?

Because a lot of us prefer the hard fixed way and better piece of mind that when they log on the next day the server will still be there.

• Like 1

I don't agree that WO is dying, but I can certainly sympathize with the merchants in this game and always have.

Not sure how on-topic this is, but reading through this thread and seeing some of the ideas about server populations, lack of merchant traffic, etc, I couldn't help but think back to my UO days when travelling around to merchants all over the place was a huge source of enjoyment for me. 

That's totally impossible in Wurm because of the long travel times and imo is something that is sorely needed. (I can already hear the screams of "no recall" hehe. I'm not suggesting it but to be perfectly honest, recall wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit. I loved it in UO :)).  

What I would personally love to see, and have wished for in Wurm since I started playing, is portals at all the starter villages that can go to any other starter villages including cross-server. Combine that with buildable portals for on-deed that will go to the nearest local starter village and we'd have a semi-convenient way of travel without cutting out the need for ships.

I love shopping (in games anyway, not in rl. lol),  but there's only one marketplace anywhere remotely near me on Xan, and even that one takes an hour to get to so I very rarely go.  I feel for the Wurm merchants.

Consolidating servers doesn't seem to be an answer to me since people typically want coastal land and there just wouldn't be enough available.  But the end result of providing enough coastal land, coupled with the insane difficulty & time-sink of getting to some of the servers, some folks end up totally isolated and feeling like the op is feeling now.

Just my thoughts on it. I've never posted it as an idea since I already know it would be unpopular and never implemented anyway. Too many would likely see it as adding "easy mode" and/or hurting the economy somehow.  I personally feel it would help the economy and help bring people to some of those out-of-the-way places where the merchants never see much traffic. 

I would dearly love to be able to jump on my horse and head out to visit merchants all over the place, being the shop-a-holic that I am.  :)  But as things are right now, it's a really daunting prospect and shopping on other servers is out of the question. The forums are ok but robs me of that "shopping" feeling. 

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 4

I feel like puking on people who use such unimaginative titles as WO Is Dying or I Feel Like I'm Playing A Dying Game. Come on people, use some originality. This same old crap is really getting old. I feel like I'm playing a dying brain forum.

Because a lot of us prefer the hard fixed way and better piece of mind that when they log on the next day the server will still be there.

I dont mind paying monthly subs for games i truly enjoy, but the prices for everything is in Euros, which last time i checked, are worth a heck of a lot more than the US dollar, meaning the game is twice as expensive for me than my european counterparts.

Uh, when was the last time you checked?  2008?

The Euro is pretty much, relative to the dollar, at its lowest point ever in history.  It's about $1.07 to the Euro.

I have a bunch of marketable skills as well. I have a merchant page as well.

I'm making the money to cover the upkeep of the (numerous) deeds across the PVE servers the family has, it was never an issue in any month looking back for many months.

I'm way happy it does not take all my time, I do a lot of travel, exploration, fun etc.  - yields what is needed, and it is false reuiqrement from a game to want to make some RL income. When I spend my time in RL to make money it is much more profitable, better to come here afterwards and play :P

I still buy the prem for most of the alts in the wurm shop, that monthly money I spend on Wurm is going for the "upkeep" of the developers, and I feel it cheaper per workhour than buying it for ingame silvers.

(Ahh and my sig is from after a server restart when I was the first on Cele, not a totally deserted server it is :P In fact I love the 200+ creatures in any local)

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

I don't think Wurm is dying... I think it's a combination of WU and FallOut 4 release being so close to eachother.

• Like 1

Exactly. We're getting a pretty good deal here in the US.  It's about US$9/month per character to play Wurm (if you buy 2 months at a time). Add in some cash for a deed and it's still less per toon than any of the other subscription games. 

Uh, when was the last time you checked?  2008?

The Euro is pretty much, relative to the dollar, at its lowest point ever in history.  It's about $1.07 to the Euro.

• Like 1

Exactly. We're getting a pretty good deal here in the US.  It's about US$9/month per character to play Wurm (if you buy 2 months at a time). Add in some cash for a deed and it's still less per toon than any of the other subscription games. 

Way better than most of those games! I really wish Wurm had a monthly automatic subscription, because I don't think people would even notice the $9 leaving their bank. 

Even better than most Buy-to-play games. At $60, that's 6-7 months worth of Wurm subscription.

How many games have you bought at that price that you are still playing after 6 months? Not many I'm sure.

Also, for $9 you're getting 30 days of entertainment. (Whether you play ever day or not is a personal choice) What else are you gonna buy for $9? A couple of beers or a trip to mcdonalds. It's pretty insane value for money :P

Living in southern Xanadu and haven't noticed any change in how many folks are out and about in the area. However I have noticed that horse sales stopped completely. Haven't had a single horse sell after WU. 

But I'm not worried as I believe this is temporary. Sure, some people may have gone to WU for good, but the following scenarios will also bring some people back to WO:

• They realize the instability and insecurity of playing on a player run server. Imagine putting hours into the grind and building up your deed, only to have a player decide to take it down for whatever reason
  • They find themselves irritated by how a player run server is balanced. What at first felt fun and novel, turned out to feel too easy or unbalanced and the sense of achievement is soon lost
  • They get irritated by game masters who keep adjusting and tweaking things like skills and spawn rate, making it so you can never quite depend on anything (and sure it happens in WO as well of course, but only with good reason and done gently and with care)
  • Although I'm sure the majority of game masters out there are good people with good intentions, there will be those who have personality issues and suddenly it's not so fun to be under the mercy of a tyrant
  • Speaking of tyrants, they get tired of feeling like they need to "suck up" to whoever happens to be running the server and probably suck up to the GMs buddies too
  • They are left feeling like they're not experiencing the "real thing"
  • They get tired of the server being down again because someone's computer running the server crashed again
  • And I'm sure there are other reasons as well

WO offers a stable, consistent MMO where everyone is equal, everyone plays under the same rules. No worries about not being able to log on. No worries about losing all the work you put into your character and deed. No evil manipulation by corrupt GMs.

Right now WU is still the new and exciting thing and although I'm sure there will be stable long living servers with honest GMs running them for the right reasons, it's only a matter of time until some folks will come back to us, one by one when things go badly wrong. 

Besides, WU has generated a lot of interest in WO - I've met so many newbies lately it's unreal. 

So don't give up quite yet :)

Edited by Malena
  • Like 2

I don't agree that WO is dying, but I can certainly sympathize with the merchants in this game and always have.

Not sure how on-topic this is, but reading through this thread and seeing some of the ideas about server populations, lack of merchant traffic, etc, I couldn't help but think back to my UO days when travelling around to merchants all over the place was a huge source of enjoyment for me. 

That's totally impossible in Wurm because of the long travel times and imo is something that is sorely needed. (I can already hear the screams of "no recall" hehe. I'm not suggesting it but to be perfectly honest, recall wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit. I loved it in UO :)).  

What I would personally love to see, and have wished for in Wurm since I started playing, is portals at all the starter villages that can go to any other starter villages including cross-server. Combine that with buildable portals for on-deed that will go to the nearest local starter village and we'd have a semi-convenient way of travel without cutting out the need for ships.

I love shopping (in games anyway, not in rl. lol),  but there's only one marketplace anywhere remotely near me on Xan, and even that one takes an hour to get to so I very rarely go.  I feel for the Wurm merchants.

Consolidating servers doesn't seem to be an answer to me since people typically want coastal land and there just wouldn't be enough available.  But the end result of providing enough coastal land, coupled with the insane difficulty & time-sink of getting to some of the servers, some folks end up totally isolated and feeling like the op is feeling now.

Just my thoughts on it. I've never posted it as an idea since I already know it would be unpopular and never implemented anyway. Too many would likely see it as adding "easy mode" and/or hurting the economy somehow.  I personally feel it would help the economy and help bring people to some of those out-of-the-way places where the merchants never see much traffic. 

I would dearly love to be able to jump on my horse and head out to visit merchants all over the place, being the shop-a-holic that I am.  :)  But as things are right now, it's a really daunting prospect and shopping on other servers is out of the question. The forums are ok but robs me of that "shopping" feeling. 

As an old UO player myself, I couldn't agree more!

• Like 1

It would be nice to bring the world a bit closer together - some sort of cross-server portal system would be great!  I'd love to visit other servers, but the thought of hours upon hours of sailing just makes me want to go play something else.  I love Release, and although the community is a little quieter just now due to some folks playing WU, we still have a good core of people.

I too have a number of very marketable skills, but I choose not use them to make money, aside from the odd paid imp.  I find having to produce things to a schedule for more than a short period takes the fun out of Wurm for me, I like being able to focus on my own projects, or swap around my grinds from time to time.  While I'd love to see a reduction in the premium costs, I can't agree that WO is dying - it may be a little different, but it's still good, and I for one am still having fun.

• Like 3

I definitely feel it fun, just seeing myself playing at least 5-6 hours on weekdays.......

Now I have access to WU (being the Linux client up and accessible) but that might be a parallel experience only. I'm used to multi-clienting already.

To sum it up, the game is all about the money spent in expectations of money to be made, as expressed in the OP. More or less players are only the assets that either contribute to or lessen this end. Then anyone that disagrees with the OP in these matters are "people's whining", "the whiners and children". Pretty insulting really, which doesn't elicit any concern from me whether this player sticks around or not.

If you think I am wrong re-read the OP with this in mind. Perhaps the game will be better off if people with this mindset take it with them off into the unknown promise lands of their dreams.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

The way they shift around things on the forums into buried treasure aint helping them,

omg..

i guess i am going to have to quit the forums for a bit all the doomsday talk is getting old

Seriously....taking a break from the forums is great and needed from time to time.

• Like 1

i see only exit now WU one time payment end lifetime enjoy :D

To tell you the truth, I came from Chaos. I actually started brand new there, getting spawn killed by Tonygreen XD. Those were some fun days. I was, for a short time, an Elder in JK. I was consistently questioned and scolded for recruiting and I tired of it all, I tired of trying with them. Port Benden on Chaos was for a time (later the Furious Gulf) the most active village in JK... but each time I recruited I would be questioned about the people, even though they were approved.

I left that server when I my wife became pregnant, I just don't have a lot of time to play, and pvp prep takes a long time.

Pvp prep does take some time but you dont have to do it all in one go. There are other options for kingdoms who could all use another seasoned player. And you never know you might just like it. You seem to have nothing to really lose at this point, because it seems you are being agfected by these changes and the slow down in pop is getting to you.

Make and alt, see who will accept you and see what you think. Chaos is not the same since you left. There are still some old faces but there are many new ones as well.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the end result is going to be pretty clear. Either Exodus, Celebration, Pristine and Release are going to be closed completely or they're going to be abandoned. Pretty much what we predicted back when Xanadu was first announced. It won't happen overnight, but the writing is pretty clearly on the wall.

Despite Rolf outright stating that he won't close the servers, it won't stop the tide of migration. Ironically, it won't be long until players start asking for the death-knell closure of the aforementioned servers.

• Like 1

You are actually supposed to loose money from games. You pay for entertainment. The moment you play it for RL profit it's not a game any more. Of course, if you pay for something in the game store it should work as expected or you should get your money back. Buying things from other players for RL money and expecting to make a profit is something else, a game has to evolve. If Rolf had sold those fountain backpacks it would be something else entirely, but as it is, Rolf has no obligation to retain value in such items. Traders are a bit more of an edge case, those are sold in the game store and they are pretty worthless if they don't get any money. 

OPs reaction is understandable, but maybe it's mostly because of an unhealthy mix of pleasure and business...  

End of college school year upcoming, Fallout 4, WU, people trying new games like mortal online, new game releases in general, entering holidays but not quite yet.

CALM DOWN

• Like 1