Sign in to follow this  
Propheteer

Merge Epic Cluster + Freedom Cluster

Merge Epic + Freedom?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Merge Epic + Freedom

TO CLARIFY - This is about a merging of population between the clusters - It is not about allowing PvP on Freedom. Please read the thread, thank you.

Why:

I personally feel that PvP was best when there was a much larger population than what is currently present on the current Chaos or any of the Epic servers. The population on both clusters are steady, and new players come and go and everyone has their reasons for doing so, but i feel the original decision to release an unfinished Epic cluster cost the PvP community a lot of players, and it would cost more if players were stripped of their time if they had to redo everything all over again. Having a larger playerbase to work with would increase PvP and the increase in PvP would result in an increase in population. (We would be looking at 60+ online on Chaos at any given time if the people on Elevation stay on a PvP server, not including the homeservers. Likely 120+ at primetime, which is like double the population.)

I would also hope that the PvE side would enjoy a growth in community as Epic also has its fair share of carebears! :) (Not to mention i also think some players who started on Epic would return if they could keep their accounts and have the option to move to a PvE server. Some just didn't really like the PvP style of living.)

How:

Epic players would utilize a portal to enter the freedom cluster. Rework the current /transfer feature to swap a characters skillset during this week-long period. (If they type /transfer on a freedom server, it would replace their skills with the ones they had on Epic. Curved skills ignored, actual skills only. No fix for the body stamina.)

The portal would prevent a drastic flood of high value items and allow for people to bring across their major belongings at the same time.

Maps:

The Epic maps should be scrapped. As painful as that is, the whole point is to consolidate the population, and the homeservers simply aren't as inhabited as Elevation, and I don't think it's wise to add more maps to further split the population, because as stated, the whole point is to consolidate the population.

Pros/Cons - Please post if you have more to add.

Pros:

More population (basically everything else here is the benefits this would come with)

More people to trade with

More people to PvP with

Likely short burst of money as people found new deeds

Cons:

Devalues current accounts

Short-term market flood

tl;dr - Merge servers in order to consolidate population, hopefully increase PvP.

Oh id also like to make clear that all of the epic servers are in a steep population decline, merging the servers wouldn't really cause more damage in the worst case than the damage that would be caused by doing nothing for a year. They are already almost back to what they were last year on elevation, and the homeservers are much lower than their last years peak.

Elevation Affliction Serenity Desertion

A rather good alternative is this:

Both yes and no. I would say give players who want to transfer to freedom cluster a chance to do so, if there is proper skill convertion. The ones who wish to stay on epic can do so, not forced into having their work destroyed.

For those who dont understand how skillgain works on epic, heres a speedguide.

Lets say 50 actual woodcutting = 71 woodcutting on the curve.

For the sake of simplicity, lets say that at fifty woodcutting one tick on freedom is .2 in size, and lets also say that you get a tick one in three actions.

Now, lets say at 71 woodcutting on chaos, you get a tick 1 in 6 actions.

On epic, if you had 50 woodcutting and were grinding, you would get .2 * 2, one in six actions.

Why? Because you get 2x the tick size, but you get it at the frequency of the curved skill. So at 90 skill, you are grinding while getting the ticks at the same rate you would get if you had 99+.

Early on this means its easier, later on it means its harder. Its pretty simple really if you did any hardcore grinding beyond a certain point.

EDIT: Could a moderator please edit my poll and make votes public? I meant to do it on creation but overlooked it, and now I can no longer set the option having made the thread.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 13

+1

Merging population is what WO needs for sustainable PvP and visible activity of players.

• Like 1

OP was updated to be more well written and more respectful to Freedom in regards to the economy by not allowing an abundance of high value items such as supreme/rare boats or HOTA statues (more than a few, i realize people will use alts.) or very high quality and high amounts of raw materials.

Edited by Propheteer

+1

There's going to be a lot of people against it, but i'd predict drastically more for it.

I said a long time ago the only real solution for pvp populations is to just have ONE server.

Obviously there will be some sort of algorithm to make skills the right numbers, the extreme being gaining .1 or something in some skills to maybe make it round well.

Before people just blatantly take a side, think about the things that'll happen because of this.

ONE PVP SERVER with ALL the pvp population on it, forever. (About 150 people on one server)

SO many more fights

SO much more content to play with

And then, wurm can advertise itself like a lot of other games do, saying it's only "One realm, if your friend plays Wurm, you are able to play with them anywhere" because there won't be split clusters.

It's clearly up for debate, and I also personally think this should happen, a new map made for the pvp server to make a clean slate for everyone with the merging cluster. This also will eliminate using the excuse "I don't want to lose my hard terraforming work/deeds" because it will be fair for both sides, starting on a new map.

Just please, truly think about this before you start hate rants or wall of text negative things, most likely trailing off about something unrelated or KvK banter, and think a few months after this would happen what the situations would be like. 

• Like 8

If you were lazy enough to play on Epic you shouldn't have your skills transferred to Freedom. I'm all for killing the Epic cluster but those who choose to continue on Freedom should have to start from scratch, just like the rest of us.

• Like 5

Do you not understand it would be the equivalent of freedom skills? For example if you had 70 you'd end up with about 50 in something.

• Like 5

- 1 NO NO NO

It was your decision to play on Epic and now since no one plays there and there is no meaning of grinding there, you wanna come here. All the hard work freedom players did, you wanna have a easy ride and get all the high skills toons here. Also if that is allowed it would be the worst decision in Wurm. As it would spoil the best pvp server of Wurm, Chaos. The server where there is no useless gods, no skills gain. And every piece of land and every kill counts. 

PvP is awesome, nothing to change except fixing bugs. You wanna move to Chaos. Sell Epic account and buy new on freeedom. 

• Like 6

'lazy enough to go to epic'

Ah yes, because we wanted to try something that was new and fresh to Wurm and has been a failure after the first year or so.

Yeah, totally our fault.

And yeah buddy, great idea lol, scrap all of epic and their accounts instead of salvaging what you can from a dead PvP server that has no PvP.

There's no difference between the 2 server clusters now that Freedom has PMKs, Valrei Items, Glimmer/Ada.. other than the skill curve, and we even have gimped Body Stam.

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 1

+1 to OP again.

OMG. People rejecting this idea because of skill gain differences.

ITS ONLY EASIER TO 70 SKILL ON EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70~99 is actually harder on EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO. HE MENTIONS. NO BODY STAMINA FIX. People will walk 10 tiles and be out of stam. I think it's a fair trade-off. 

Please don't start with "Freedom had to work harder", because Epic people had to work pretty damn hard too, while being ON a PVP server (home servers do PvP too).

• Like 6

If you were lazy enough to play on Epic you shouldn't have your skills transferred to Freedom. I'm all for killing the Epic cluster but those who choose to continue on Freedom should have to start from scratch, just like the rest of us.

I don't think you realize that someone has to take a hit to merge the population. It won't be fair for everyone, and it might not be good in the short term, but it would most definitely, almost 100% certainly be much better in the long run. The good majority of the Epic cluster players came from Chaos, and a good majority of them previously had/still have great accounts. (And people seem to be disregarding that some skills were much harder to grind due to the frequency of the skillticks being modified by the curve.) Not to mention basically all the accounts have gimped body stats. (e.g. 60 strength, 28 stamina 50 control.).

If that's not punishment enough for long term success, i'm not quite sure what is.

- 1 NO NO NO

It was your decision to play on Epic and now since no one plays there and there is no meaning of grinding there, you wanna come here. All the hard work freedom players did, you wanna have a easy ride and get all the high skills toons here. Also if that is allowed it would be the worst decision in Wurm. As it would spoil the best pvp server of Wurm, Chaos. The server where there is no useless gods, no skills gain. And every piece of land and every kill counts. 

PvP is awesome, nothing to change except fixing bugs. You wanna move to Chaos. Sell Epic account and buy new on freeedom. 

I have a great account on Epic, and i have a great account on Freedom. The fact of the matter is a lot of people spent years grinding accounts there, and a lot of people spent years grinding accounts here. Not everyone has the money to purchase an account, and if everyone starts selling up, who would be left to buy? A lot of people left because of promised features that were never released and because for many months after launch it had about 8-10x the population of Chaos. Rolf never delivered on all the features that were promised, and when he did, they were usually buggy as all hell or outright unfinished, and once they were fixed, it was then given to the other cluster. (Freedom)

The hope would be that people would overlook a skillgain difference for a large short term population boost, and a for-sure long term population boost. (I'm also not sure what you mean by no useless gods or the rest of that statement either as its basically the same except for the curve and skillgain.) I also don't think you understand how large of a hindrance the gimped body stamina is. An average account on Freedom is like 45str/40stam/45 control, whereas on epic its like 45str, 25stam, 45 control. Thats a huge problem for an account that wishes to PvP and its something that would end up balancing it out in a way.

PvP is more awesome with more players.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

[...mäh...]

did you even read the suggestion ?

+1 from me (thats 16% from BLH lol)

• Like 4

All the hard work freedom players did, you wanna have a easy ride and get all the high skills toons here.

What are you on about? It would recalculate and drop their skills to a lot less considering how the curve works and how much harder it is above 70 to grind again how the curve works. They would be actually losing out really for the short term but leading to a better long term goal of having a combined pvp server which would result in like twice the numbers we have now and promoting pvp to happen rather than split it across the two clusters.

It's a +1 from me as it, as I said, would mean both clusters get more pvp due to it and players in general to pvp with.

Edited by bloodmaster

Na -1

Half all the skills on epic chars and maybe.

• Like 2

make it more clearer for all: in the end we will lose some skill for getting merged. better ?

Na -1

It's not that simple unfortunately, especially in regards to the way the frequency of ticks was modified. Many skills were much more difficult to grind than they ever were on freedom at high levels. (Prominent examples being meditating and woodcutting.)

I still can't really grasp why people aren't willing to take a short-term account devalue for such a large long-term population boost.

• Like 3

I am assuming none of you were here for the IMPOSITION of JKhome to PVP before Freedom was created.    

If you look at the number overall, percentage of Non PVP players far outweighs the ones on the Epic and Chaos servers.   Wurm is not a good PVP game it is however an amazing crafting game.  No other one like it really.  If you turn Wurm to straight PVP it will be gone very quickly.

Nobody said anything about touching the actual Freedom servers, they stay.  0_o

I am assuming none of you were here for the IMPOSITION of JKhome to PVP before Freedom was created.    

If you look at the number overall, percentage of Non PVP players far outweighs the ones on the Epic and Chaos servers.   Wurm is not a good PVP game it is however an amazing crafting game.  No other one like it really.  If you turn Wurm to straight PVP it will be gone very quickly.

I'm not sure what you are saying here? Did you read the OP?

I made this post with the idea in mind that those on the Epic Cluster (the entire server is PvP, including the homeservers) would be allowed to cross onto the freedom cluster by using a portal. Those on the homeservers would be allowed to go to Chaos, but they wouldn't be forced to in any manner. I also mentioned that those who started on Epic on a homeserver, but quit due to not liking the PvP lifestyle would have an opportunity to keep their accounts and transition to a pure PvE server.

Edited by Propheteer

Both yes and no. I would say give players who want to transfer to freedom cluster a chance to do so, if there is proper skill convertion. The ones who wish to stay on epic can do so, not forced into having their work destroyed.

• Like 3

+1 to OP

Na -1

Edited by Banzai
  • Like 2

Edited by noermel

no, i was there. but that it's not the point. no one said to allow pvp to freedom pve... i think op was meaning "moving" to chaos and chaos belongs to "freedom cluster"

Edited by Propheteer