Sign in to follow this  
Uberknot

Where are the Flowers? (SOLVED)+

Have yet to see flowers grow on my map why?

Edited by Uberknot

I think they only spawn in spring. They have begun appearing on my map.

I think they only spawn in spring. They have begun appearing on my map.

Edited by Uberknot

hmm maybe changing the time skipped a cycle.....did you change your time at all?

There are still no flowers on the server where I play either.

Yeah still no flowers ..................I will bump this until I see flowers.

Edited by Uberknot

bump

Will they spawn from grass tiles EVER?

It's such a simple question really do flowers spawn serverside from grass tiles and how long will they take?

You would think they would be under the tree growth fix we had or at least a setting to adjust flower spawning.

Edited by Uberknot

I am getting flowers on the creative map, took weeks of play though since I offline the server.   Are you on a custom map, was it seeded with flowers?

So many of these posts :) Please remember there's a search feature and it helps to keep issues grouped.

As I said in other places: Bugfix for grass tiles spawning flowers has been pushed for approval. Once this reaches live, your grass tiles will have a random chance to spawn flowers during spring/summer. 

Jonneh has a script to fix your lacking custom maps: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/134751-no-flowers-on-wu/page-2#entry1381700

Keep in mind, there are two issues here - the bug where grass tiles wouldn't spawn flowers, and the issue where some custom map generators weren't planting them to begin with. Flowers would still spread from other flower tiles, just not randomly spawn (thus a map with no flowers would never have any).

Can you detail the bug fix, if I work hard on a map generator that seeds different flowers in different areas for the game to spread and give each area a different look that I am after, I would be upset if it started randomly seeding flowers.  It should detect that there are no flowers on the map at all before randomly seeding them.     If a map generator was buggy don't employ a fix that ruins maps for generators that was not buggy.  If I have a grass field with no flowers I would expect it not to go to seed.

Edited by yarnevk

if it has grass it will more than like have a chance to spread like trees.

you would have to use enchanted grass.

besides you can pick any flowers and leave the grass.

the update should make the game work properly not cater to mods.

flowers are part of the game period.

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 2

Can you detail the bug fix, if I work hard on a map generator that seeds different flowers in different areas for the game to spread and give each area a different look that I am after, I would be upset if it started randomly seeding flowers.  It should detect that there are no flowers on the map at all before randomly seeding them.     If a map generator was buggy don't employ a fix that ruins maps for generators that was not buggy.  If I have a grass field with no flowers I would expect it not to go to seed.

Why would you run Jonneh's script on a map which already has flowers on it? It's meant for the ones that were generated with 0 flower tiles.

The script randomly assigns flowers to grass tiles in the top_layer.map so yes, it would mess up your own flower biomes if you've created those.

• Like 1

So many of these posts :) Please remember there's a search feature and it helps to keep issues grouped. 

I agree it would be nice if  all of the threads were all in one place, so that those of us following the issue would gave an easier time keeping up with the topic. It is very confusing when there are multiple threads scattered across multple subforums. 

I agree it would be nice if  all of the threads were all in one place, so that those of us following the issue would gave an easier time keeping up with the topic. It is very confusing when there are multiple threads scattered across multple subforums. 

Well you have bug reports...questions...etc....i mean we could group a lot of threads from all forums.

Why would you run Jonneh's script on a map which already has flowers on it? It's meant for the ones that were generated with 0 flower tiles.

The script randomly assigns flowers to grass tiles in the top_layer.map so yes, it would mess up your own flower biomes if you've created those.

Not referring to the script referring to the bug fix being pushed.   Don't want the bug fix to mess up flower biomes if I have properly created a map with them (or without).   If I decided a meadow is far away from flowers then the game will not seed it because there is nothing to spread.   

The game requires trees, buses, and flowers to exist to spread, it should not randomly seed flora without spreading. .  Spreading and seeding are not the same thing.  Only the map maker should seed.

Edited by yarnevk

Not referring to the script referring to the bug fix being pushed.   Don't want the bug fix to mess up flower biomes if I have properly created a map with them.  

Seems to me there should be no bug fix, and only the workaround script should exist for maps that did not get flowers

That makes sense. Guess I was a bit tired when I read it last night, thought you were talking about the script. But I agree that the bugfix shouldn't attempt to spawn flowers on maps that already have them.

>>Seems to me there should be no bug fix, and only the workaround script should exist for maps that did not get flowers

That is hard on players who are not as good with computer issues, and the phrase "run a commandline script" gives shudders of fear. Many striggle far too much already with technical issues getting the game to run. 

But I also think there should be a way for custom maps to opt out or writeprotect their map files from automated updates. Or even a yes/no pop-up.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I want to make an island that only has olive trees, grapes and whatever flower goes with.   Another one will be apple trees and laurel and whatever flower goes with.   Many of us want regional distributed flora and I do not want any random map seeding screwing that up.   Even if flowers have no use that we know of, someone will eventually discover their secret or add a mod to make them alchemical, even if not rare cosmetic things do gain value.  If I make it so purple flowers only seed around the lady of the lake, they will have high value.

If players ship them across islands and replant them then they spread, well that is the players right.  Fo (me!) may not be happy with them for upsetting the natural created order especially if it is the game itself doing it instead of a player.

Edited by yarnevk

As I said in other places: Bugfix for grass tiles spawning flowers has been pushed for approval. Once this reaches live, your grass tiles will have a random chance to spawn flowers during spring/summer. 

Jonneh has a script to fix your lacking custom maps: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/134751-no-flowers-on-wu/page-2#entry1381700

Keep in mind, there are two issues here - the bug where grass tiles wouldn't spawn flowers, and the issue where some custom map generators weren't planting them to begin with. Flowers would still spread from other flower tiles, just not randomly spawn (thus a map with no flowers would never have any).

I think this bug is random.   We created our own custom map and never added flowers.   As the season changed we have noticed flowers are now spawning all over the map without the use of any scripts or changes to the code.