Sign in to follow this  
courtelise

New player

Hey everyone.  I just picked up this game.  I discovered Wurm Online about a year ago but ended up going in another direction.  Then you released Wurm Unlimited, which gives me the opportunity to do more without subscribing.  I have periods when I don't play for a few weeks, which makes me cringe at the thought of subbing to something I'm not using.  Plus I like the idea of being able to play a local game for when my kids are using up all my bandwidth.

I'm pretty much a loner and like crafting and building.  I logged in for the first time yesterday just to get my feet wet.  I feel like such a noob getting excited over chopping my first tree, but there you have it.

My resume includes extensive time on FFXI during the grindy years and a plethora of other WOW-like games with little depth. I was drawn to housing, which led me to Wurm.

I'm not going to ask any noob questions yet.  Just saying hello and putting in my vote for a better 3rd person (zoomed out) option.  I get dizzy in first person unfortunately.  I think this game is worth muddling through that though.

• Like 5

Welcome.

I was actually initially attracted to Wurm Online because it was strictly first person, I tend to feel uncomfortable in many games that are primarily third person actually, but each to their own.

Most questions can be at least partially answered in Wurmpedia and in the Forums, but we're all still learning, even some of the veteran players, so there are no such things as noob questions, believe me, we pretty much all asked them atone point.

• Like 1

They said there is someway to get a type of 3rd person I have not figured it yet...

They said there is someway to get a type of 3rd person I have not figured it yet...

It is there in Wurm Unlimited, but just an over the shoulder avatar debug view....devs used to make sure animations looked good I guess.  There is no camera adjustment unless someone figures out a mod.

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

I figured out the over the shoulder view in settings but didn't like it.  It just blocks my view of what I need to see.  Fortunately movement is slow enough that I'm not experiencing the usual ill effects I get from FP games.  I've not made it far.  Trying to figure things out mostly on my own.  I lost my starter sword and a bow I found.  I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to effectively kill anything.  I killed a chicken and a pig with my bare hands.  LOL!  

I lost my pickaxe for no discernible reason, so I'm trying to make a new one.  The rocks don't seem to be the right type unless I need to process them.  (sigh)

I did find a row boat and a chest.  Those are my big accomplishments.  I was exploring in the boat when I saw a town and got excited.  YAY! A new town!  Then it turned out to be my starter town. :huh:  The map is almost useless unless I just don't know how to use it.

I founded a "community" for lack of a better word.  It's just me and my spirit guards.  And I can't even pitch my tent on it.  Go figure.  I try to play one hour a night.. if nothing else, I do enjoy the background music while trying to figure things out.   :P

• Like 1

Wurm has a steep learning curve for many things.

Regarding the pickaxe, I suspect it got to 100 damage and 'broke', which is not uncommon with the starter tools, since they cannot be improved, only repaired.

Navigation is usually pretty much memory, the map only makes sense when you work out where you are on it, and can identify features by sight.

Tents cannot be dropped on village tiles, or the perimeter tiles around it, (default is 5 tiles from the village border).

Having chosen the Adventure map you actually have it a bit easier, since that map has some roads and stuff like boats and chests already placed, the creative map pretty much dumps you in the wilderness with just the tools, no towns or items to find at all.

Nice to see you're still at it, since many just give up when life gets hard, I cannot promise life will suddenly get easier, but it will get easier, gradually :)

• Like 1

Iron is found either by scavenging on exterior exposed rock tiles or by finding an iron vein. I'm not sure what you mean with the rocks being wrong, though. Keep at it! :)

MootRed and Gamester both have good tutorials on the ol 'tube. Gamester is a mite verbose though hehe but pretty thorough.