Sign in to follow this  
Necromateur

How do I get the Portals to Function?

I'm going to create a small tutorial on my server - I've been getting a lot of very new players and am having to walk them through just about everything. I want the tutorial area to be a 'created' island in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by impassable mountains, fences, or both. 

What I also need, however, is a way for them to be able to access a portal that they can either go through at the beginning of the tutorial (thus bypassing tutorial) or the end of the tutorial, which will put them either in a random spawn location or a location I set later. 

Is this possible with Creative 'home server' ? If it is, how?

A few of us has investigated them and I think they have been disabled in WU...

There has been no documentation provided about portals whatsoever, so there is no way of knowing how to use them and it certainly is not obvious. We'll make sure to spread the word once we find out how to use them, though!

There has been no documentation provided about portals whatsoever, so there is no way of knowing how to use them and it certainly is not obvious. We'll make sure to spread the word once we find out how to use them, though!

I guess the only other option is to place a tutorial within the world and offer a door upon entry to the server, in case they already know how to play. 

Blah!!

C'mon - let's hear from some devs on this!!!

The teleport associated with the ebony wand works on coordinates, a player name or a deed name. It stands to reason that the portals would use the same code as the teleport function that takes a GM to a specific deed.

I'm going to create a small tutorial on my server - I've been getting a lot of very new players and am having to walk them through just about everything. I want the tutorial area to be a 'created' island in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by impassable mountains, fences, or both. 

What I also need, however, is a way for them to be able to access a portal that they can either go through at the beginning of the tutorial (thus bypassing tutorial) or the end of the tutorial, which will put them either in a random spawn location or a location I set later. 

Is this possible with Creative 'home server' ? If it is, how?

If it's possible you can run a very small server to host your tutorial alongside the server you have going, then you can use the portals pretty easily to achieve what you want.  As for same-server teleportation, I haven't quite figured that out yet but cross server to specific points is straightforward.

If it's possible you can run a very small server to host your tutorial alongside the server you have going, then you can use the portals pretty easily to achieve what you want.  As for same-server teleportation, I haven't quite figured that out yet but cross server to specific points is straightforward.

I wouldn't say that it is straightforward... in fact, there is zero documentation on them.

The teleport associated with the ebony wand works on coordinates, a player name or a deed name. It stands to reason that the portals would use the same code as the teleport function that takes a GM to a specific deed.

You can also set it to specific coordinates.