Sign in to follow this  
Luceat

[RELEASED] Skillmod for agos modloader

Hi!

Inspired by the final statgain mod by almight Keenan, I decided to make one that worked with agos modloader.

The mod allows you to change the difficulty of any skill independently, including characteristics, which is the same as increasing or decreasing skillgain.

The mod also allows you to disable a priest penalty to some characteristics.

Version 0.6 is out!

Download skillmod v 0.6

Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 0.6

-Fix for crash due to trying to parse steamVersion value as a number

Version 0.5

-Fixes Weapon smithing not being modified if the server isn't a challenge server

-Uses proper modlauncher interface

Version 0.4

-Fixes crash when Fighting was not present in the properties file
-Fixed setting difficulty of skills after large maul
-config file now has all skill modifiers at default value 1.0
-skillmod.properties renamed to skillmod.disabled to not overwrite users configs

Version 0.3

- Added webbas statgain divider feature, allowing you to modify the penalty to statgain above and below 31.0 skill.

Version 0.2

- Fix to Fighting skill modifier, be wary of too high modifier for Fighting though, a big modifier might end up behaving weirdly.

Version 0.1

- Added basic skill difficulty modification

Get the zip file and extract it into your mods folder.

Usage:

Open the skillmod.properties file

To disable or enable the 25% priest penalty to some characteristics set:

removePriestPenalty=true

To change the difficulty of a skill you need to edit its corresponding factor. 

1.0 is the default setting (1x modifier)

Higher setting makes the difficulty easier and is roughly equivalent to a skill gain factor.

The difficulty settings stack with the server skill gain modifier.

So with server skill gain modifier of 2x the following config:

FILE: skillmod.properties
Body=10.0
Soul=10.0
Mind=10.0
Weapon_smithing=2.0
Meditation=5.0

Gives a skill gain modifier of around:

EFFECTS OF SETTINGSBody 10x    //Not affected by server skillgain modifer
Soul 10x    //Not affected by server skillgain modifer
Mind 10x    //Not affected by server skillgain modifer...
Weapon smithing 4x    //Affected by server skillgain modifier
Meditation 5x         //Not affected by server skillgain modifer

You may remove skills that you do not want to edit from the properties file.

To add a new skill or a skill you previously removed, the first character must be uppercase and any spaces must be replaced by underscores.

To change the stat gain modifer (Credit to Webba)

# The lower divider is applied to skillgain on all characteristics below 31
# The upper divider is applied to skillgain on all characteristics above 31
# This is a divider so higher number means less skillgain
# 5.0 is default for the lower stat divider
# 45.0 is default for the upper stat divider
lowerStatDivider=5.0
upperStatDivider=45.0

EDIT: Added some clarification to what the mod does and how you set stuff

Edited by Luceat
New version
  • Like 9

Also, this should probably REALLY be marked ALPHA.

You can change the title if you use the "full editor" mode (button below the box if you editing the post)

You can change the title if you use the "full editor" mode (button below the box if you editing the post)

Thank you :)

Ooh I have been hoping for something like this.  I'd like to bring weapon smithing more in line with other smithing skills.

Does it do the same as Keenans mod and increase the characteristics gain according to the server skillgain multiplier?

Edited by cmiddlebrook

Ooh I have been hoping for something like this.  I'd like to bring weapon smithing more in line with other smithing skills.

Does it do the same as Keenans mod and increase the characteristics gain according to the server skillgain multiplier?

• Like 1

You should take note that Weapon smithing is already 5x SLOWER than other crafting skills.

You should take note that Weapon smithing is already 5x SLOWER than other crafting skills.

Well, yes, it is one of the more extreme examples, but there is actually quite a wide disparity between several skills.

Also the difficulty of WS depend on which type of server you are running.

I think the example would be more confusing if I tried to find a norm to compare to instead of just saying "x times faster than before".

If it is of interest, I will add a dump of the default difficulties, but they don't really say much by themselves,

Love it! This mod may actually be reason enough to finally get ago's modloader going. :D

• Like 1

I like this! However I got a question. In summary,what are the default WU values?

I tried to find the default values in the server.jar but it's a little confusing.

The difficulty numbers in com.wurmonline.server.skills.SkillSystem are huge. 

Using com.wurmonline.server.skills.SkillTemplate.

SkillTemplate(int aNumber, String aName, float aDifficulty, int[] aDependencies, long aDecayTime, short aType)

one of the easier skills: "Prospecting", 2000.0F,

one of the hardest skills: "Weapon smithing", 20000.0F **note, I removed that challenger server if-then business.

I'm confused as in the OP you refer to the numbers in your .properties files are like difficulties. And you mention that bigger numbers are faster but in code bigger numbers are slower. 

I like this! However I got a question. In summary,what are the default WU values?

I tried to find the default values in the server.jar but it's a little confusing.

The difficulty numbers in com.wurmonline.server.skills.SkillSystem are huge. 

Using com.wurmonline.server.skills.SkillTemplate.

SkillTemplate(int aNumber, String aName, float aDifficulty, int[] aDependencies, long aDecayTime, short aType)

one of the easier skills: "Prospecting", 2000.0F,

one of the hardest skills: "Weapon smithing", 20000.0F **note, I removed that challenger server if-then business.

I'm confused as in the OP you refer to the numbers in your .properties files are like difficulties. And you mention that bigger numbers are faster but in code bigger numbers are slower. 

Edited by Luceat

I understand now. I also see the skill "difficultyDivider" in the server code.

I think folks will want to alter skills in relation to other skills. For example if you wanted to make all skills progress the same you'd have to add a large range of skill dividers to account for the large range of skill difficulties. I'm planning on making all skills progress about the same but I'm not sure what skill will be the target difficulty.

This mod is so simply significant to better balance the skillgain and ty for making it a modloader. I set the server skillgains to 1.0 and simply adjust the individual skillgain value via the properties file. made a GM char and using the ebonywandmod(to test mining) so i can set/reset skills to test the skillgains. Am still in the process of adjusting but it works like a charm. Any way of doing the same for timing, woodcutting for instance is so way off the chart. Many thx, im a happy camper now :D

• Like 1

I understand now. I also see the skill "difficultyDivider" in the server code.

I think folks will want to alter skills in relation to other skills. For example if you wanted to make all skills progress the same you'd have to add a large range of skill dividers to account for the large range of skill difficulties. I'm planning on making all skills progress about the same but I'm not sure what skill will be the target difficulty.

This mod is so simply significant to better balance the skillgain and ty for making it a modloader. I set the server skillgains to 1.0 and simply adjust the individual skillgain value via the properties file. made a GM char and using the ebonywandmod(to test mining) so i can set/reset skills to test the skillgains. Am still in the process of adjusting but it works like a charm. Any way of doing the same for timing, woodcutting for instance is so way off the chart. Many thx, im a happy camper now :D

• Like 1

Instead, to reach the point you want, I would suggest:

1. setting a server skill modifier to put the majority of skills roughly at the progress speed you want

2. individually edit the remaining skills through this mod through testing

Can we get a list of the skills that are not modified by the server skillgain multiplier?

Can we get a list of the skills that are not modified by the server skillgain multiplier?

Okay, with some reservation that anything I might say now might be wrong...

Body, Mind, Soul and their subskills. These have also an additional 0.1x malus

Fighting according to reports.

Meditation has a 50% malus but seems to be affected by skillgain multiplier.

certain things I will try correct (by using this tool or other methods).  The drop off of Fighting at 70.  Taming should be much easier, to eliminate goofy training systems like reed pens & stew.  Prospecting, in my opinion, should just be linked to mining skill. 

Skills need work.  I get how they got where they are from WO mechanics and to keep things balanced, but I think they got out of control.  There are a number of skills that are frivolous. Firemaking?  Might as well have "getting dressed in the morning" as a skill. 

Can you make an option to link one skill to another, where any skilling in either will raise them both equally together?  Say Mining and Prospecting?  Mining action raises mining by .01 and prospect by .01.  Analyze the shard raises prospect by .01 and mining by .01?

THanks for working on this mod!!

certain things I will try correct (by using this tool or other methods).  The drop off of Fighting at 70.  Taming should be much easier, to eliminate goofy training systems like reed pens & stew.  Prospecting, in my opinion, should just be linked to mining skill. 

Skills need work.  I get how they got where they are from WO mechanics and to keep things balanced, but I think they got out of control.  There are a number of skills that are frivolous. Firemaking?  Might as well have "getting dressed in the morning" as a skill. 

Can you make an option to link one skill to another, where any skilling in either will raise them both equally together?  Say Mining and Prospecting?  Mining action raises mining by .01 and prospect by .01.  Analyze the shard raises prospect by .01 and mining by .01?

I will most likely have no time to introduce more features until after a couple of other projects finish (Which should be in february). My source code is up on github though, so, any pull requests with new and related features will be accepted.

The drop off of Fighting (and I believe other skills as well?) might be in the Skill.class file.

Linking skills to another: easy-mode is to make Prospecting a dependency for Mining, that would give it more skill, but not in a 1:1 fashion.

To get 1:1 linking it would require more changes than just the editing of constants that this mod currently does. 

• Like 2

This is a great example of why WU is so exciting for me personally. In the initial stages it's about making basic, relatively simple changes to the WO like WU at release. With time more and more examples will come up like this one where new ways of achieving an end goal are proposed (and with time implemented).

It will be interesting to see what happens once the larger community jumps on to this bandwagon. Maybe we will have new combat systems, goblin villages, new spells and who knows what else in a way shorter amount of time then was ever thought possible in the past!

~Nappy

• Like 2

There is a new version out that fixes Fighting skill factoring not working.

It doesn't improve much on CC's code though, so some issues might occur with too high modifiers.

Clarification:

If you would gain a total of more than 100.0 skill after a skillupdate, CC then instead gives you FS + (100.0 - FS) / 100.0 skill.

Fighting CAN tick for more than 1.0 skill points.

Furthermore, you might end up in a situation where:

FS = 10, toBeGained = 92

First skill tick would give you 10 + (100.0 - 10) / 100.0 = 0.9 skill gain

Now, next tick:
FS = 10.9, toBeGained = 76

You get 76 skill gain.

So keep Fighting skill modifiers sane or you might end up getting more skill late game than in the beginning.

I'll read through this tonight and try to make a pull request with the option to remove or change the skill dividers (fs soft cap at 70 and stats soft cap at 31)

• Like 3

Has anyone managed to come up with a good baseline setup to make all the skills more or less even?

EDIT: Also, Is the download that is linked for 0.1 or 0.2? It says 0.1, haha.

Edited by Llurendt