Sign in to follow this  
Xyp

Name change....

Cant change a players name, it just Appends to their name when managing animal....

Using name change certificate requires password, which nobody has....

Fix plx :D

Not to sound completely retarded. But is it the accounts login password?

mfw...i have passed on cheap, amazing accounts due to horrible names.... :(

I would greatly appreciate it if any info of these things can be provided.

I have never heard of a Name Change certificate, not once.

People have commented/requested a way to change character names for quite a while now, but I have not once ever heard of a way possible.

Where do you get the information from that such a thing exists?

"Appending" a name makes it sound like you're talking about Nicknaming an Animal, not attempting to use something to rename a character.

If you can provide information on where you've obtained/seen/heard of a Name Change for player characters, that'd be great.

its there in WU, can create with ebony wand, requires password though, and password is a hashed version of steam id (and yes I tried my steam id and it didn't work). You have to use feature management to override it being off by default, but everything looks like it works, just says wrong password.

Password is the long numerical SteamID. It's only hashed when stored in the database.

Sure and I have ways to find that (its not easily obtainable via most profiles, I have to use Steamrep....) but. Even if you do, and you give someone a name change because well juvenile names. If this works, there is a spot for new password, if they change that, due to steam they can no longer login....this is not a good method.

I am not sure how you would do this for a different person, this is just for people playing on their own standalone servers.  Here is how I changed my own character's main name, when I regretted my choice but did not want to restart. 

The password in the database  is based off your SteamId plus the character name. The password in the database  is thus different for different characters you have, and if you change a character's name but keep the same password. that character can no longer login. So create a throwaway character with the desired name on a random server (I use the creative/adventure premade servers). 

Then open the SQLiteBrowser and find the players section for that server, copy the hashed password. The same name+same steamID always has the same password. Paste that password into the name-changed character in the database for the server you want to play on. (This assumes it is your own server.)

Password is the long numerical SteamID. It's only hashed when stored in the database.

I tried using my SteamID but that didn't seem to work for me. There is no place to input a password when you log into Wurm. The only password option you get is the server's password.

I suppose if I HAD to change the name of someone else's charcater, I would try something over-convoluted like have them make a new character with desired name, get that password from database. Delete that throwaway character. Change their old name via database, paste in the new password. I am sure there is an easier method but I don;t know how to get them to "login with a password".  I suppose some utility could figure out what the new password should be that allows them to log in under a different charactername. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Also if you turn on the name change feature then traders in WU by default sell the name change certificates - 5s each ( I think from memory).

• Like 1

I've tried to reset my name three or four times now using the name change certificate.  I keep getting the message, Failed to contact server. Try later. This is an Error.

I try to change it with a GM and get,

[08:10:37] You try to change the name of Henry to Harvey and set the password to 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'.

[08:10:37] The result is:

[08:10:37] Failed to contact server. Try later. This is an Error.

Edited by Governor

I have got the person to successfully change their names.  Even in the server event window it shows the name change.

On relogging into the server the original name appears.

Bump for the issue still being there. Confirmed as of 2 weeks ago.