Sign in to follow this  
Lowthron

Other peoples servers in my lan window

Seems like a bug to me but perhaps I misunderstand the usage of lan servers.  In the manage server window are tabs for internet and one for lan. Internet one shows public servers put out for others to use, I assumed lan servers were only for in house use, but I randomly am getting other peoples servers who I do not know showing up in my lan window, and I can connect to them. Is this the way its supposed to work ? I am running behind a router and using windows firewall so how are they showing up on my lan window?   I am by no means tech literate so if I have misunderstood or  missed settings to stay private please explain what I have done wrong.  TY

it is just a display error that only lasts a second or two, usually? They are not actually on your lan. they can also show in favorites and history. Think of them as ghosts that flickered over for a minute from the main list then if you refresh they are gone again.  

You are actually connecting to them as if they were internet connections not LAN connections. They should not be listed there but randomly, odd ones display there. 

Refresh the page to clear them away.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thanks for the reply Brash.  Yes with refresh they do vanish.  Problem I am concerned with is this randomly lets anyone in to private servers to do any kind of damage they choose if one has not set a strong password.  In my eyes this defeats the purpose of having servers called lan servers.  If the strange servers showing up are internet servers its not so bad, but if they are others lan servers people should be warned.

The explanation I got on Steam was that Steam first identifies them as (on your) LAN if you use the ip number 168.something.something. It is not open to others and you can remain calm.

Many are actually useing that ip on their computers for their own servers.

There is no doubt that other peoples servers are bleeding into my lan list from somewhere and remain on that list until I choose either them or me.  The big question, is it possible that any of those showing up are other peoples lan servers or only others internet servers.  There is clearly an error somewhere in sorting that allows other peoples servers in my lan list to begin with, if those are internet servers bleeding over, in my mind that's a small problem, but if any of those happen to be others lan servers I would consider that a big problem.