Sign in to follow this  
Vess219

Armour Types Question

Is Cloth, Leather or Studded viable?  Wasn't sure if the archery/casting bonus was useful. 

Should I just be using chain and then plate? 

Whats the general progression of armours?

In WO, I only used 90Q cloth on my 70 fight skill crafter & priest as they did not want to be weighed down by heavier armors. As long as they were not reckless, it worked out fine for me even with mundane unenchanted weapons.  (I tended to use aggressive 2-handed weapons on horseback, and if I was in trouble I would run away run away and heal up, but usually I was fine.) This won;t work for dragon/boss/pvp fights and might be harder at start but even on my new characters I tend to run around in 20Q cloth and 20FS unless I have a troill in my mines, then I would break out the chainmail.

Your mileage may vary, and depending on whether you happily seek out all combat or try to avoid most combat (cloth is excellent running away armor)

I think studded used to be pretty popular when I first started on Freedom servers, so I imagine it is fine for most of the time. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

In WO, I only used 90Q cloth on my 70 fight skill crafter & priest as they did not want to be weighed down by heavier armors. As long as they were not reckless, it worked out fine for me even with mundane unenchanted weapons.  (I tended to use aggressive 2-handed weapons on horseback, and if I was in trouble I would run away run away and heal up, but usually I was fine.) This won;t work for dragon/boss/pvp fights and might be harder at start but even on my new characters I tend to run around in 20Q cloth and 20FS unless I have a troill in my mines, then I would break out the chainmail.

Your mileage may vary, and depending on whether you happily seek out all combat or try to avoid most combat (cloth is excellent running away armor)

I think studded used to be pretty popular when I first started on Freedom servers, so I imagine it is fine for most of the time. 

Thanks for the insight.  Yea I do plan to do the dragons/boss mobs but want to play as mainly an archer though I will level up my melee skills too.  Just wasn't sure if plain leather was good for the 30% buff, more protections from studded but no buff or just go chain/plate for good protetions and negative buff to archery.  Guessing for bosses/dragons ill need the protections?

I suspect archers are useless vs dragons/bosses. Every fight I ever heard of, it was all highend platemail, 2-hander weapons only as nothing else could get past their superhigh defenses. But I am no expert.

From wiki:

"Unsurprisingly crocodiles and scorpions are difficult to kill with arrows while mountain lions, rats and wild cats are very very easy."

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Archery

Dragons and uniques take 20+ topend fighters to kill so its like 100X a croc/scorp or more. Not difficult for an archer, just impossible. 

PS: I bet someone could make an archery mod that makes archers more "playable" as a sole weapon style. Currently I think they are useful "in certain situations". 

I suspect archers are useless vs dragons/bosses. Every fight I ever heard of, it was all highend platemail, 2-hander weapons only as nothing else could get past their superhigh defenses. But I am no expert.

From wiki:

"Unsurprisingly crocodiles and scorpions are difficult to kill with arrows while mountain lions, rats and wild cats are very very easy."

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Archery

Dragons and uniques take 20+ topend fighters to kill so its like 100X a croc/scorp or more. Not difficult for an archer, just impossible. 

PS: I bet someone could make an archery mod that makes archers more "playable" as a sole weapon style. Currently I think they are useful "in certain situations". 

Yea, but I heard they nerfed the uniques in unlimited, since it was expected you would either be solo or in a small group plus you have that combat modifer setting which I think is set to 3 by default.  So im hoping it wont be impossible or least could be adjusted.

that would make sense. I was wondering how on earth people were going to handle dragons.

I have not followed discussions so your information is certainly better than mine.