Sign in to follow this  
Zarsynn

Intermediate WU help?

hi All-

New Wurmer here thanks to Unlimited. I like the depth of the building and the exploring. Lots of fun!  Even a bit of fighting now and then to keep me on my toes--- an 'Adult Minecraft' mostly due to complexity as I tell my kids :)

Anyway, I'm looking for some intermediate help- I got the basics down; server set up and surviving (cooking, foraging, smithing, building etc.)

Most of the questions I have are around the Map and Settlements. Here' goes:

1. In Adventure Mode, I see that the map is pretty static- am I wrong? That is, you can't really figure out where you are. I mean, you can see the towns IE- I'm in JK, and when I zoom in,  It's a pretty picture though.....right?
  2. I made a settlement pretty close to Wirkshir in JK. (I think that's the name). I want to create another once I start exploring the map a bit more. One prob: I can't get rid of the settlement deed. I've read about other people on WO using different toons to give it to, but cannot, for the life of me, figure out how this works in a SP server. You can only log on once.... I've tried everything I can think of with my leveled toon to get rid of it: can't drop it, bank it, sell it, change with the Ebony wand  if I switch my toon to a level 5 GM (or I don't know how), or even feed it to a dog. (yes, tried that...) I don't really want to start another toon just to make another settlement elsewhere on the map since I put so much time into leveling this one already. (I'm a great digger, as far as i can tell...)  Is there some way to have multiple Settlements on WU? especially in SP?
  3. Adventure Mode vs Creative: do other things spawn in Creative games as they do in Adventure Mode? IE- towns, chests, guard towers etc? Or is it just the rendered map? It'd be great if the engine added some random POIs to any map once created and loaded up. 

Thx for any and all advice.

-Z

Edited by Zarsynn

1. The general rule of Wurm navigation on any server is observation, and memory, the map is static, and won't change to reflect the changes you make, (have a look in WU Tools for the Map viewer though, that will show changes when you reload the map).

2. The single player restriction does make it more difficult to do things that long time WO players take for granted, such as using alts and trading deeds etc, but there are ways around the restriction, which work fine, my preferred solution is the one on this thread: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/133388-run-multiple-wu-clients-no-sandboxie-or-vm-required/. I use it frequently to do tasks that require two logins at once. So it is possible to give your deed to a caretaker alt and go build another, although I usually set up maps using caretaker GM's and use my 'normal' player character to do everything else.

3. Adventure mode is a structured Wurm experience, with some quests and goals built in, although you can completely ignore it and just explore, it's neat to just find stuff lying around even if you're not following the story, such as it is.

Creative on the other hand is an unpopulated blank slate for playing with, I don't recall finding anything at all on it before I got hooked on making and playing custom maps.

Of course the customisation options really get fun when you can build a PvP server, complete with NPC towns full of enemies, or just have a fantastic town using all your creativity with full GM assistance, or a test server to try things out, to see how they work.

>>I've read about other people on WO using different toons to give it to, but cannot, for the life of me, figure out how this works in a SP server. You can only log on once....

Here is how I log in multiple characters in singleplayer (will have to look up the link for the walkthrough). Log in with main character. Open Task Manager, kill Steam.exe.  This will usually also kill other STEAM associated processes, but if it doesn't you might need to force those close too. 

Now log in the next character. As long as the first character is ingame and steam is shut down, it should allow the secind character to be the official "steam ogin" as the original character gets no further checks.

In Creative Mode you won;t get towns or guard towers though I think I have seen a few treasures chests. The ones I could open usually had a few resources like cotton, leather,  etc. 

I am not clear what you were asking in #1 but I think yes it is a static map and not random generated like in minecraft, if that was the question.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

@ Brash_Endeavours: That's what the batch file I linked to above does, closes the steam processes and restarts it then runs WU, basically the same, but automates the process.

Thanks all for the advice-- I'll try it! (And thanks Mod for moving :) )

@Brash- RE#1: Basically, If I wander for a real-life hour away from my Settlement, am I now in P12? R11? IE- a simple 'you are here' pin would be very helpful. No need for zoom etc, but I'm leery to wander away far without paving a way back. I better bring an extra shovel.....

I belive the reason why we don't get a pin of where we are is cause this is a "survival" sort of game.

Best you can do is travel the map so many times that you know the surroundings well or at least recognize mountain formations and sea.

Use your compass as often as you need.

You can also set own markers on the ig map, that will help you find your way a bit easier.

...You can also set own markers on the ig map, that will help you find your way a bit easier...

Only if you know where you are in the first place... :)

I think Map is definetely the weakest part of the game. And, before you rant, yes. I know it is a survival/exploration game. But getting killed and then trying to find your body when you've journeyed across what feels like halfway across the map is more frustrating than anything.

//Thank Goodness for easy on/off Dev abilities and the Ebony Wand!

For others who read the thread and wonder RE the Multi-Box. Works like a charm. I can even give my deed to my ALT now.... Once I wait 24 real life hours to give the ALT the deed. (If you make them a villager first that is...just assumed that's what you needed to do. :) )

-Z

Edited by Zarsynn