Sign in to follow this  
MarkSilard

WO is dead.

No, dearest Edge,

What was speculated were the long term increase in WO subscriptions. Less than a month is not "long term", I'm sorry. Anyone could predict that a lot of people would be excited to play around in Wurm Unlimited with the GM modes.

Albeit - I'll give you that I didn't personally fully count in the amount of replayability the extensive modding support gives - it'll be a hard one. But, at the same time, it'll probably lead to a great amount more WU sales, so who am I to complain.

Toodles,

Jberg (One of the doomsday-idiot-lumped staff members)

Well no, you're obviously the staff part, and speaking as a staff member. Like this guy

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/130805-lets-go-then-predict-the-dec-1-premium-player-count/?p=1343405

Long term lol.

Edited by Edge

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from what we are seeing right now.

A huge number of AAA titles have just been released, along with WU. That will be sure to draw some WO players away temporarily. (Call of duty, Fallout, Need for Speed...many more too..November is and always has been a huge month for game releases)

I would also imagine a number of people are working more hours in the run up to Christmas/Thanksgiving/Whatever you do this time of year and so they have less time to play.

WU has only been out a few weeks also...many people are still trying it out and having fun there. (Which I question the longevity of...private servers inevitably fall apart or stop being fun if things are too fast)

I would say, wait until February and then see what the outlook is.

• Like 5

WO is not dead, I am still here making bricks...

Yup, the servers are full of zombies, grinding skills from 99 to 100, improving items from 99 to 100, subconciously waiting for the flood of life - which is a crowd of "Educated" trying to slap that first shack together.

• Like 2

Seeing local status, we've given up a subscription of the 8 right after WU came out (although I don't have WU being not a Windows guy), but resubbed it a week later. So out from the bottom of the pit already haha.

There's still hope.. the suggestions' thread seems a bit cleaner since WU launched... one can only hope the derailing clan has seen its numbers take a hit.

Amen. 

One thing I've learned in my years of Wurming, we totally hate changes, each major change, (apart from maybe Bridges), has been met by opposition from someone predicting doom, and assertions that it'll destroy Wurm as we know it.

My first introduction to this was when bed models changed from the chunky and barbaric Conan beds, and how people were up in arms about how effeminate the new ones were, and how it would literally kill Wurm for the macho, manly types to sleep in such beds....

WU won't kill Wurm any more than bed models did, or animations, new player models, new animal models, new servers or Epic did.

Changes to Wurm's player counts take time, only one month in I've already seen new players appearing in CA citing WU as the reason they are trying WO for the first time, and they're staying, OK, the numbers may be small, but new player retention has always been more of an issue than getting new players in the first place. Coupled with the normal small drops in numbers when a new and attractive AAA game releases, and the seasonal fluctuations, we're pretty much where we normally are for player numbers based on server statistics, perhaps slightly higher actually.

But long term? The jury is still out on that, since long term actually means we'd have to wait and see, ask me again how dead WO is in 5-6 months, and like Budda, I'll point you at the server graphs and we can sit and compare numbers and trends.

• Like 4

One thing I've learned in my years of Wurming, we totally hate changes, each major change, (apart from maybe Bridges), has been met by opposition from someone predicting doom, and assertions that it'll destroy Wurm as we know it.

But long term? The jury is still out on that, since long term actually means we'd have to wait and see, ask me again how dead WO is in 5-6 months, and like Budda, I'll point you at the server graphs and we can sit and compare numbers and trends.

Hell, even bridges and multistory, some of the best updates for builders in the game were being called WO-Killers at the time.

Remember all the 'omg there will be 15 story 1x1's all over the map' threads?

It's pretty simple really...keep playing if you enjoy it..stop if you don't.

On PvE it doesn't make much difference to most people if even half the players did quit for whatever reasons anyway. (Not saying they are or will...but the game would continue none the less)

• Like 3

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_graphs

Player count graphs seem to say you're making stuff up about WO being dead.

I guess everyone sees what they want to see, because that looks like wo is dying to me. -10% for the 3rd month in total premium players, and no bottoming out in sight.

Edited by Edge

I have to agree with Edge on this, as what I saw in the graph today was 1000 less prem than a year ago, and well it will keep dropping as toons run out of the already premed time they have.

I have for example let 4 run out of prem and 3 are about to run out. Will only keep two premed in the future (cause I payed for a year on both of them).

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_graphs

Player count graphs seem to say you're making stuff up about WO being dead.

I don't know about you budda, but this ammount of decline from a just the last month is pretty damn bad in my eyes....

paying-month.png

its nearly 10%...

I mean hey, code club might think 10% subscription loss in a month isnt much... but anywhere else in the industry thats considered pretty damn bad for a long-term mmo.

When the activity in forums drop, thats when u should be worried.

Even then, Wurm Online is so far from dying.. I wonder if people have seen these dying games even.

Ive tested a ton of games, and some had only 7 people playing in like 4 servers. And they had no problem keeping it up for those 7 folks haha.

Well it does seem that the forums are very slow. It was about a year since I visited the forums and the difference now is significant. You can particularly see it in Town Square. You only need to check the forums/new hot topics once every 2-3 days now. Used to be you could check a few times a day. Am I the only one that has noticed this?

I guess everyone sees what they want to see, because that looks like wo is dying to me. -10% for the 3rd month in total premium players, and no bottoming out in sight.

Depends which graphs you are looking at.

For example, the Premium players shows a clear decline, yet this is not uncommon in november, ( perhaps a multi year graph would show more detail), yet the premium purchases graph shows a higher uptake compared with the same time last year, with a noticeable upward trend in September, followed by consistent rise to November.

The players graph likewise shows a similar story with a clear rise in September, followed by a continued, but smaller trend upward until late October, where we see another clear peak with a higher sustained trend following.

As you say, it's a case of people seeing only what they want to see, and not necessarily what is actually there.

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/subscriptions.html

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/wurm.htm  (Note that the GV counts represent 'new' players, so that's not necessarily a result that represents sustained player retention, it is however indicative of higher interest in Wurm Online itself).

It's easy to pick one particular graph and represent that as the sum of all data, but the reality is more complex, especially attempting to analyse the individual server trends, since those are very 'noisy' and trends are not at all obvious.

• Like 1

Depends which graphs you are looking at.

For example, the Premium players shows a clear decline, yet this is not uncommon in november, ( perhaps a multi year graph would show more detail), yet the premium purchases graph shows a higher uptake compared with the same time last year, with a noticeable upward trend in September, followed by consistent rise to November.

The players graph likewise shows a similar story with a clear rise in September, followed by a continued, but smaller trend upward until late October, where we see another clear peak with a higher sustained trend following.

As you say, it's a case of people seeing only what they want to see, and not necessarily what is actually there.

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/subscriptions.html

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/wurm.htm  (Note that the GV counts represent 'new' players, so that's not necessarily a result that represents sustained player retention, it is however indicative of higher interest in Wurm Online itself).

It's easy to pick one particular graph and represent that as the sum of all data, but the reality is more complex, especially attempting to analyse the individual server trends, since those are very 'noisy' and trends are not at all obvious.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 3

We will see numbers drop over the next few months still i guess but some will be back and we should be getting in some new people too.  I bought WU and have finished playing with it already and am back to WO full time. I just deeded a new spot and started my winter break from work so i am ready to build for the next 3-4 months till spring.   :)

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3

I will never leave WO so it will never die.

And Mr Silard, dont leave us man. We need u

• Like 2

no worries, he logged in today :)

Edited by noermel

About forum activity, I happend to check out Town Square today and well I was surpriced to see posts from 4 november (8 days ago) on first page there.

many people have to work longer hours nov to January for Christmas shoppers flooding stores and warehouses  inventory moving in and out this happens every year some people have real jobs outside of wurm and also it is just a game even if it dies o well it had a good run get over it move on 

You sir must be a super intelligent person.

Any other clever insight you want to share with us?

I could list some more games that are better than wurm, but i dont think im allowed to type that much