Sign in to follow this  
MarkSilard

WO is dead.

Best example? Look at the king. WoW has have had been saying its dieing since classic. Each expansion people say it's dead.... There still far, far over one MILLION subscribers. But people have majorly left the game. A few years ago it was 8-9m. I don't know the current number but I think it was 6.7 last I checked.

wtpch4mdygg42n5jzxc0.png

However... the massive drop after the latest expansion continued and nothing indicates it's stopping.

e8e25d9258.png

tldr: WoW is dying. at a very rapid rate.

*looks at codeclub devs*

But who cares if a company lose a large % of their subscribers, right? RIGHT?

I mean look at WoW! A few years back they were at the same sub count so it DOESNT MATTER, right?

Edited by Zekezor

What irritates me about the subscription complaints is whether or not Rolf actually intended this or not.

He still hasn't gone out to outright tell us what his plans with Wurm Unlimited's release were.

Maybe he wants Wurm Online to slowly disappear into the sunset, so he can start on another new project.

To be honest I think the intentions of WU is quite clear with all the new add ins to WO. Which most have been made by modding there or was tested there and tweaked to work.

37 minutes ago, Talohan said:

To be honest I think the intentions of WU is quite clear with all the new add ins to WO. Which most have been made by modding there or was tested there and tweaked to work.

I agree and think this is a very good thing, why not let people test out their suggestions and actually see how they would work.

Who wouldn't want an enviroment where your customers come up with ideas, implement them, test balance and bugfix them and the community gives feedback on them. And it also lets casuals enjoy wurm without having to get their money's worth from their premium time. In the long run if WU builds popularity from a strong modding community you would expect to see a trickle down of this popularity into WO where you have more confidence in the server host to actually stick around.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Webba said:

I agree and think this is a very good thing, why not let people test out their suggestions and actually see how they would work.

Who wouldn't want an enviroment where your customers come up with ideas, implement them, test balance and bugfix them and the community gives feedback on them. And it also lets casuals enjoy wurm without having to get their money's worth from their premium time. In the long run if WU builds popularity from a strong modding community you would expect to see a trickle down of this popularity into WO where you have more confidence in the server host to actually stick around.

Nah, too rational of an explanation.

• Like 6

Too much conspiracy. Too much doomsday theories. Too much complaining.  That's all I'm seeing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Klaa said:

Nah, too rational of an explanation.

Oh sorry, drop in market price of scale rip wurm.

What's with all the necros lately?  I thought this was dead.  (2 months ago. lol)

11 hours ago, Amadee said:

What's with all the necros lately?  I thought this was dead.  (2 months ago. lol)

Because WO is dead and being dead, old threads should never drop off the end and need bumped. Especially ones about WO being dead! :lol:

• Like 1

On 12/23/2015 at 8:28 AM, Audrel said:

Because WO is dead and being dead, old threads should never drop off the end and need bumped. Especially ones about WO being dead! :lol:

This^ so bump. 

If its not evident that's WO is dying by now somethings wrong. 

• Like 1

Let's be honest here, most of us have been playing since pre-launch.  Wurm Online started up 10 years ago, and for the niche game it is it has had a pretty good run so far.  Now to the realism:  how many games do you know that are still surging on strong and increasing their playerbase 10 years after release?  Even the king as it were, World of Warcraft, only surged for 6 years before it started to see decline.  This is the natural progression of video games and technology.

Wurm Unlimited was, in my mind, designed to bring more players to the realm of Wurm and to open the door for Wurm to live on after its inevitable demise.  I'm not a doomsayer.  I won't claim that Wurm is dead, because it clearly isn't, but it is dying.  Dying is okay, however, as it is the natural course of everything in life.  So stop with the doomsaying.  Login, play this game we all love and cherish, and hold onto it while it lasts (and it will last much longer).  When the day comes where the official servers are finally shut off (a long time from now), embrace WU and continue to play this unique title.

Just to clarify, I do not believe Wurm Online is dead, or anywhere close to dead.  I do believe it is in decline, and rightfully so as it has been around for many years and everything goes through that process at one point or another.  Wurm Online is a fantastic game and won't die anytime soon.

Edited by Slickshot
Clarification point
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Let's be honest here, most of us have been playing since pre-launch.  Wurm Online started up 10 years ago, and for the niche game it is it has had a pretty good run so far.  Now to the realism:  how many games do you know that are still surging on strong and increasing their playerbase 10 years after release?  Even the king as it were, World of Warcraft, only surged for 6 years before it started to see decline.  This is the natural progression of video games and technology.

Wurm Unlimited was, in my mind, designed to bring more players to the realm of Wurm and to open the door for Wurm to live on after its inevitable demise.  I'm not a doomsayer.  I won't claim that Wurm is dead, because it clearly isn't, but it is dying.  Dying is okay, however, as it is the natural course of everything in life.  So stop with the doomsaying.  Login, play this game we all love and cherish, and hold onto it while it lasts (and it will last much longer).  When the day comes where the official servers are finally shut off (a long time from now), embrace WU and continue to play this unique title.

Nah

My deepest condolences.   Everything still exists.  But that's ok.  If you folks keep trying long enough, sooner or later you'll be right.  lol.  Who knows?  With enough perseverance, you may even be able to turn it into a "Self Fulfilling Prophecy"  by discouraging others.

Spoiler

A self-fulfilling prophecy is a prediction that directly or indirectly causes itself to become true, by the very terms of the prophecy itself, due to positive feedback between belief and behavior.
In other words, a positive or negative prophecy, strongly held belief, or delusion—declared as truth when it is actually false—may sufficiently influence people so that their reactions ultimately fulfill the once-false prophecy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Josh said:

But what if we want it to be

Then, I feel very sorry for you if that's truly the case.  If not, and if you just get your kicks from trolling.......well, that's just sad too.  Oh well.  :(

• Like 1

"WO is dead"

&:O

Noooooo

*gaining air into the lungs*

Nooooooooooo

&:)

Well I am still playing so therefore Wurm cannot be dead. Judged purely on numbers, it may be a little poorly atm but that is natural and I am sure it will soon recover to full health.

Edited by Spolmit

it's not dead, but the population suffered a large hit because a lot of people were offered a better place to play. why would those individuals ever come back? there's no incentive for them.

it is however in decline, should be plainly obvious if you look at the population counts of the PvP servers this year and the year before, its a significantly lower and these servers are usually very stable and predictable in their population counts.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 3

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Amadee said:

Despite the exaggerated OP post title, I would say that this thread keeps rising to the surface because there is validity in its chronicling the evolution of the WU effect upon the original game. Although the responses are a bit shallow in places, there are still some interesting observations included over time which shed light onto the dark coffin so swiftly closed to introspection, perhaps for fear of what might emerge to contradict these presuppositions that time has let bleed out into the winters bright whiteness. There upon the ground the stain emerged as a fearful reminder of denials after the fact.

That aside, I was almost surprised at my own enjoyment and preference to play upon some of these new WU player hosted public servers in preference to the original game. Establishing myself upon a few of them I noted various groups and individuals of WO which had deserted to them as well. The thing of it is, even having a high level character (better than most no doubt) within WO, I found the timers and skill gains contributed to a much more enjoyable experience playing upon these WU servers. This changed my previously held opinions about them before WU's release, yet my open mind had not let my brains fall out either.

15 hours ago, Propheteer said:

it's not dead, but the population suffered a large hit because a lot of people were offered a better place to play. why would those individuals ever come back? there's no incentive for them.

I would say that many former WO players have found this above to be the case. I still keep my main guy within WO and come back every few days to take care of the animals but in comparison I find it to be a painful experience. Kind of strange to create another game that so outshines the original in creative enjoyment which then competes with it but hey, I guess to each their own offers the choice. Let the saga here continue, says I!

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

:-P I think it keeps being revived to prove that WO is not dead else no one would be interested in /sarcasm about a dead game in the forums. 

• Like 1