Sign in to follow this  
MarkSilard

WO is dead.

I'm part of that 10% drop, as I let a Nathan priest alt go unsubscribed. Not because I think Wurm Online is dying, but because Nathan is a silly god and I had no reason to keep it. I also think that you guys are forgetting the time of year, no? "Back to school". This is the annual time when students realize they have more to do than play an MMO. Perhaps if Wurm Online had a recurring subscription model, the graph might look different as those students would just keep paying even if they don't play - but that's not how it works here.

There's many reasons for certain trends, but a gradual 10% decline isn't much of an indicator. Now if we saw 20% drop in two weeks, that might make me worry.

I play a lot of games and a lot of mmo's, I switch a lot, so much that my wife will not join me in one game as she knows I switch to another before  she gets started. But WO is always there.

...What I'm saying here is. WO is always open on a screen or another computer for me and I'm sure it's that way for many people. So, If i'm playing fallout 4, swtor, ARK, Tera....(could be a big list here) WO is always open, making bricks, casting, digging..wurm stuff.

It's a game we can play while playing and doing other things and it's a reason we will always have numbers. "i'm leaving wurm to play another game" Play the other gme at the same time! Fair enough, skill will move a lot slower this way, but who's in a rush in wurm anyway?

• Like 2

I don't know about you budda, but this ammount of decline from a just the last month is pretty damn bad in my eyes....

paying-month.png

its nearly 10%...

I mean hey, code club might think 10% subscription loss in a month isnt much... but anywhere else in the industry thats considered pretty damn bad for a long-term mmo.

Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post, for support, not illumination. -Vin Scully

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. -Mark Twain

I can prove anything by statistics except the truth. -George Canning

The statistics on sanity are that one of every four of us is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you. -Rita Mae Brown

• Like 3

As others have pointed out, many people have been letting go of alts etc ever since the price hike. While that was a while ago, many people are still cutting back or have finally grown tired of paying the extra. (Or maybe just cutting back temporarily...Christmas/Winter is an expensive time of year, especially in colder countries...gas prices..amirite?!?)

I've always been interested in what the 'actual' playerbase is..as in how many unique players rather than accounts are currently playing. I imagine that number fluctuates a lot less.

(For example, I ran 6 accounts at once for a while and then went back to 1. If only a few people play say 5-6 accounts...that's enough to 'fill' a whole server to the current average users level)

Essentially a whole server could 'log off' at once if a handful of players went inactive for a week at the same time, when in reality only 5 people left.

Nevermind all the people who have skill-specific alts, such as 70 faith mag priests, grass enchanters or other similar alts, that aren't necessarily logged in all the time, but are still 'active'.

Edited by Outlaw

I also think that you guys are forgetting the time of year, no? 

The last time there were this few subscribers in WO, the ability to build two-storey houses was just a wet dream. We are talking 2012 numbers. Time of year has little to do with that.

Edited by Cista

I don't know about you budda, but this ammount of decline from a just the last month is pretty damn bad in my eyes....

paying-month.png

its nearly 10%...

I mean hey, code club might think 10% subscription loss in a month isnt much... but anywhere else in the industry thats considered pretty damn bad for a long-term mmo.

Yet there's another interesting graph which shows the exact opposite, the Premium Purchases graph:

subscriptions-year.png

Look at that, purchases of premium are currently at their highest point for the given window (the last year). Of course this doesn't show much prem they are buying, could be monthly installments while people whom are letting it run out had several months, or years, are not currently renewing, thus the drop shown in your graph. But I must say this graph is interesting, as it's the opposite of what you'd expect for a dying game.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 2

Yet there's another interesting graph which shows the exact opposite, the Premium Purchases graph:

subscriptions-year.png

Look at that, purchases of premium are currently at their highest point for the given window (the last year). Of course this doesn't show much prem they are buying, could be monthly installments while people whom are letting it run out had several months, or years, are not currently renewing, thus the drop shown in your graph. But I must say this graph is interesting, as it's the opposite of what you'd expect for a dying game.

It shows people got less trust in the game and are buying monthtly installments instead of longterm prem time...?

The last time there were this few subscribers in WO, the ability to build two-storey houses was just a wet dream. We are talking 2012 numbers. Time of year has little to do with that.

Well, I mean I found the game and enjoyed it before that point - we have so much more now, and a ton of land. I mean, I'm all for more people, especially on Chaos, but I mean, if you release a subscription game as a one time purchase game as well, just disconnected from the central servers? Of course you're going to cannibalize your membership, that was a given.

I am surprised that WU didn't bring in all that many people to the game. I figured it would make up for a lot of people leaving.

It shows people got less trust in the game and are buying monthtly installments instead of longterm prem time...?

Edited by Ecrir

Well, I mean I found the game and enjoyed it before that point - we have so much more now, and a ton of land. I mean, I'm all for more people, especially on Chaos, but I mean, if you release a subscription game as a one time purchase game as well, just disconnected from the central servers? Of course you're going to cannibalize your membership, that was a given.

I am surprised that WU didn't bring in all that many people to the game. I figured it would make up for a lot of people leaving.

Toodles,

Jberg (One of the doomsday-idiot-lumped staff members)

Soooo tempted to put that in my Sig :D

• Like 1

Seriously? You think people who play WU with adjustable grind to suit your tastes would draw people into a game where actions take forever? Mine in WU and then mine in WO. Process a tree start to finish in WU then do the same in WO. I see little incentive to play WO after that. Only thing WO has going for it is the chat room. 

Its what drew me to Wurm in 2008 and kept me from really liking epic.I almost never use the kingdom or global chats. I doubt I am the only type of player like this. Frankly I think Wurm has gotten too soft since I started playing.

Its what drew me to Wurm in 2008 and kept me from really liking epic.I almost never use the kingdom or global chats. I doubt I am the only type of player like this. Frankly I think Wurm has gotten too soft since I started playing.

Not really talking about old players. New players, it's a different story.

Wurm colapse for greed devs. No EKG pulse on any graph

i do not think this game is dying, the numbers might be a bit lower, but this game has a strong player base of people that just keep returning even if they take a break every now and again.

the most annoying part of these threads is the message it gives to new players checking out the forums, i might have thought twice before going premium if the forums have multiple of threads like this one when i started playing 6 years ago

• Like 1

Yeah, all this negativity accomplishes nothing at all except to create a negative atmosphere on the forums. 

I often wonder just what, if anything, these negative nellies are trying to accomplish.  They're giving us their "gems of wisdom" for what reason?  Do they really think they're contributing in any way whatsoever, or are they just trying to project their downer personalities onto others?

Seriously, pointing out something that one wants changed is one thing. Make suggestions or something, jeez.  But continuously posting their bitterness at every opportunity, as some here do in multiple threads, boils down to nothing more than a smear campaign for whatever twisted reasons these people may have.  And they lose any credibility, imo, because they never have anything to say other than bashing the game.

If they're that unhappy, I have to wonder why they stick around besides trying to bring everyone else down with them.  If they feel the game has no redeeming qualities for them, or think it's dying, or whatever, then they should just leave ffs.  Honestly, if someone is enjoying the game and still having fun, they don't really give a fat, flying flip what some debbie downer thinks may or may not happen to the game in some nebulous future.

**shakes head**  Well, that's my morning rant for today.  Fortunately, most people are rational enough to make their own decisions about the game rather than let themselves be influenced and intentionally chased off by a few unhappy people who can't just walk away and let others think for themselves, but instead feel they have to convince others to be as negative as they are.

I have been reading how Wurm is dying for the 7+ years I have been playing. Give it a rest.

• Like 5

Well it does seem that the forums are very slow. It was about a year since I visited the forums and the difference now is significant. You can particularly see it in Town Square. You only need to check the forums/new hot topics once every 2-3 days now. Used to be you could check a few times a day. Am I the only one that has noticed this?

It is, big time.

I quit almost two years ago, and came back recently, back then I could refresh the page and have new messages/replies and even new topics waiting every thirty minutes.

Now, it's hours between much. And really I could do it twice a day and read the little bit that's here.

Also, I think people need to realize what "dieing" means. Nobody means server shut down, they mean major player loss (that don't come back)

Best example? Look at the king. WoW has have had been saying its dieing since classic. Each expansion people say it's dead.... There still far, far over one MILLION subscribers. But people have majorly left the game. A few years ago it was 8-9m. I don't know the current number but I think it was 6.7 last I checked.

Same has been, and will continue, happening here. Just on a different scale. Nobody (I hope) really thinks the servers will be shut down, but players leaving and staying gone? That's a good possibility.

It is, big time.

I quit almost two years ago, and came back recently, back then I could refresh the page and have new messages/replies and even new topics waiting every thirty minutes.

Now, it's hours between much. And really I could do it twice a day and read the little bit that's here.

I think maybe it's just your perception that it's slower.  I've seen others saying the same thing, and it doesn't match my own perception, so I did a bit of looking just for curiosity.  If you go back in any of the forums including Town Square, and look at the pages, they all have about 8 to 15 days of threads being posted in on each page. 

I even skipped back to the last few pages in 2008 which is as far back as town square goes, and it's all pretty consistent.  Anywhere from 7-8 days up to 15-16 days on each page.  I skipped through and didn't look at every single page but I see no noticable, overall difference over the years.

edit:  These forums have never been what I would call "active" exactly anyway.  Well, except for when there's a big argument going on about something but that usually only lasts for a week or so and then it gets semi-quiet again.  :)

Edited by Amadee