Sign in to follow this  
Moha

New Player Landing Ideas

After some consideration, I decided that my server is way too hard core for the new player. I think I have seen many new players spawn, die, quit.

I want to create an environment where a new player can learn the game and then go out and explore with the tools and knowledge needed to survive.

What I do not want to do is just throw them to the wolves literally, or spoon feed them tools and armor giving them the keys to the world. Many experienced wurm players including myself, have lost the memories of learning the interface, and how to survive in the game. Has anyone else done anything like this in their servers?

As a server owner, I've seen decent number of players try out different 'starter experiences' so far.. and I'm having a hard time coming up with a 'common theme' between the people's play styles. 

"Some" people:

- want no help at all, just their starter tools and their wit.

- want to spawn in and see a chatty town

- want to spawn in a starter deed, just so they can quickly figure out how to get as far away from it as possible

- want to see a pretty starter deed, but it doesn't need to be functional, just safe with guards and a few buildings

- want to build a boat immediately and sail away to solo-land

- want to ask for "any deeds taking new villagers" so they can accept a port to a village already in construction

In the end, I think the starting experience really depends on the personality of the player and whatever arbitrary expectations they have.

It's seemingly difficult to 'make everyone happy' or to appeal to all of these players in the same way.

So, in short, yes... our server has build starter-deeds for new players and quite a few players have been asking for such

... but the funny part is, most people just EXPECT to see a starter town and then want to abandon it as soon as they are able.

I think what we should really try to list and address, is what do players really need early on in the game? It's not some random town with empty buildings... they need access to resources, tools and specific items.

• Like 1