Sign in to follow this  
Becket

Question for Rolf

Why is the skill gain for Parent skills Armour Smithing and Tailoring so lopsided?

The parent skill Armour Smthing is at 54.91 my sub skills are CAS 93.76, PAS 91.21, Shield Smith 94.68.

The parent skill Tailoring 58.79 my sub skills CT 90.26, LW 98.86.

Seems to me even if I hit 100 in all of them the parent skill would still not hit 90.

It's by design.... Jack of all trades, hard to master them all.  It's this way with every parent skill save for Fighting Skill.

72+ tailoring 99,something CT, 82~lw.

I get tailoring mostly for low ql imping or very high ql ( then i dont get tailoring ticks )

You should be fine imping stuff until you start to get good sub skill gain. ( for parent skill grind )

Edited by Martynas5

Back when parent skills were introduced, skills were still being adding and therefore had no idea how many subskills would be under each parent skill (Note: that new sub skills may still be added in the future).

The idea behind parent skills was that they would help increase skillgain speed for subskills when more are added.

Also they used to be used to prevent decay when we had that.

• Like 3

72+ tailoring 99,something CT, 82~lw.

I get tailoring mostly for low ql imping or very high ql ( then i dont get tailoring ticks )

You should be fine imping stuff until you start to get good sub skill gain. ( for parent skill grind )

Never ever made a proper test but yes I FEEL that when you don't really get skill on the actual skill - like when you imp the low ql items with high subskill - the parent one tends to raise better. Maybe a delusion just because I don't see the greens then, only on the parent skill.

my experience is this:  imping 60QL and lower, more skill goes to the parent, 60+ql, more skill goes to the sub skill.  THis is for my my sub skills in the high 90s.  Since the lower QL imps go by really quick, it takes a ton of items to make the parent rise much.  If you keep focused on taking the sub skill to 100, parent skill isn't going to do much. 

Personally, I think it is a little broken.  Nobody should be a master in all sub skills and a chump at the parent skill.  Makes absolutely no sense.

So...is there a point to parent skills like tailoring, nature and smithing right now?

Edited by Edge

Why is the skill gain for Parent skills Armour Smithing and Tailoring so lopsided?

The parent skill Armour Smthing is at 54.91 my sub skills are CAS 93.76, PAS 91.21, Shield Smith 94.68.

The parent skill Tailoring 58.79 my sub skills CT 90.26, LW 98.86.

Seems to me even if I hit 100 in all of them the parent skill would still not hit 90.

Arnour smithing is just very hard to level, probably slowest crafting skill ingame

For me:

Shield smithing 99

Plate armour smithing 99

Chain armour smithing 92

..... 81.46 overall

If you want to skill overall imp low quality crap, it seems to raise it better.

CAS raises overall AS more than the others if you go to 99 in it

I have about 90SS, 70PAS, and near 100 CAS, with almost 86 overall AS

Edited by KyleBooze

That's interesting you would say that Kyle, I think blob went chain armor smithing and got decent AS gains. SS didn't seem to do a whole lot for AS when grinding it to 99 in my case.

Edited by Pingpong

Blob achieved his 90 Armour Smithing title i believe .. the grind nearly killed him and he hasnt played since .. u have been warned :)

He has 99 CAS, unsure of levels of other AS skills.

I have 99.26 smithing.

Got it with 100 BS, 90.88 JS, 61 metallurgy, 93.5 WS, 91.63 SS, 91.14 CAS, and 93.25 PAS.

My armorsmithing is around 52.3...my rough guess is that armorsmithing and regular smithing go up roughly at the same speed?  The bonus smithing gets is that everything armorsmithing does, it gets skill but armorsmithing doesn't get everything smithing gets (like blacksmithing).

One of my friends had the theory that the parent skills leveled the same way as regular skills.  In otherwords, generally +/- 10 QL of the object you're imping.  Since, say, your blacksmithing goes up much faster than your smithing, you're imping 50 QL tools when your smithing might be 15.  The gap is too big and your smithing gains less skill.  He theorized that's why my smithing rose so high was since my first real smithing skill was weaponsmithing.  Weaponsmithing skills very slowly, so the +/- 10 kept pace with my smithing.

I don't know if he's right or not.