Sign in to follow this  
Qibbler

Interested in developing mods -- but a few Q's first...

Hello. :) Qibbler here, I have a few questions.

I am aware of the nature of how incredibly new Wurm Unlimited is currently so please do not mistake my first post for a critique, but, even still... I'm having a hell of a time finding basic information and resources I'm going to need before I can begin trying to developing anything of anykind for the game... Hopefully someone can provide some answers for me.

First order of buisness is that I'm going to need some better clarifcation of CodeClub's standing terms and policy in regards to what we are and are not allowed to do when creating new mod content for Wurm Unlimited:

GM Jberg:

Under no circumstance, ever, should a tool made for Wurm Unlimited be used to modify the Wurm Online experience directly. Any such breach will immediately upon detection result in the full loss of your game account with absolutely no refunds...
Edited by Qibbler
  • Like 1

I found this announcement to be rather vauge and I'm not really sure what that's really supposed to mean... At first glance it sounds like CodeClub is saying we are not allowed to modify any gameplay elements that would have a meaningful impact on the nature of Wurms unqiue atmosphere in itself. To me that means -- at best guess -- that I would not be allowed to modify anything prexisitng and hardcoded into the game itself, or add content that can fall under that category? It sounds almost if I would be restricted to things like modifying the GUI, replacing or tweak textures, and adding my own content provided it dosn't alter the vanilla aspects of the game?

• Like 1

He is talking about Wurm Online, the older game with servers run by code club. You are allowed to edit Wurm Unlimited at will.

As far as I have understood you can mod wurm unlimited in any way except changing the steam authentication.

Yeah, lots of people still confuse WU and WO.

To quote it with an old Simpsons quote:

It looks like ketchup, it tastes like ketchup, but brother it ain't ketchup!

Wurm Unlimited: It looks like Wurm Online, it plays like Wurm Online, but brother it ain't Wurm Online"

So yep, feel free to mod Wurm Unlimited all you want, make it a full steampunk setting, add pokemon mobs, add skyrim dragon shouts, whatever. As long as you dont release mods that alter the Wurm Online client :)

• Like 1

Wurm Online is the game that is managed and developed by CodeClub. It works similar to how most MMOs would work, with one organisation managing the servers and offering a subscription based payment model.

Wurm Unlimited is the version that lets you host your own servers and let you manage it. Instead of subscriptions, you just buy the game once.

The warning tells us that you are never supposed to create any kind of modifications for the Wurm Online client. However, you can modify the server and client of Wurm Unlimited.

This means you are allowed to make the modifications in Wurm Unlimited. Like somebody already mentioned, you should not try to get rid of the Steam related elements from the client and server. Modifying gameplay and things like GUIs is fine for Wurm Unlimited. Creating a modloader like that is fine too.

Yeah, Rolf (the owner) basically said "Here's your new toy... you can do anything you want to it!" They even said you can monetize whatever you'd like if you wanna go that route.

Sounds great, though I would love to see a modding API put together. If anyone is going to take a shot at putting one together I might be interested in seeing that happen :)

One thing CodeClub needs to fix is the WU EULA is the same as WO, which specifically bans reverse engineering and decompiling, which of course is the only way to mod WU.

Can mods add back the PMK.Jar which is a optionally graphic pack for Wurm Online?