Sign in to follow this  
WalkerInTheVoid

[RELEASED] Mods for Modloader: Bounties, Digging Like Mining, Meditation, Underground Prospecting, Spider Replacements

Thirn, that's actually a really good idea! I'm wondering if maybe it should still be a percent chance to drop money at all though... It doesn't really make sense that every single mob will drop money. In my mind, at least.

why not have both as an option?

Is mob on bounty list? yes/no (no = end)

do we award coin? %chance yes/no (no = end)

if yes, do we use FS skillgain to determine amounts? yes/no (no = use amounts listed in .properties)

simples! ;þ

Hehe, it really depends on how interconnected everything is... and I keep hearing how very interconnected it all is. :P But what it really depends on is how Walker feels about the whole thing. ^.^

10 minutes ago, Vanyel said:

why not have both as an option?

Is mob on bounty list? yes/no (no = end)

do we award coin? %chance yes/no (no = end)

if yes, do we use FS skillgain to determine amounts? yes/no (no = use amounts listed in .properties)

simples! ;þ

I like options! Options for everything!!!

But seriously, yes, should be optional to the already present flat rate, imho:

fsGainBounty = true

fsGainBountyMultiplier = 1.0 (default: 1.0, in silver coins)

fsGainBountyFlatRate = 70.0 (default: 70.0; at what level of Fighting skill payouts change to flat rate)

Or something like that... :D

I like the concept of being able to declare a bounty on a particular mob type while also being able to have a random factor on other types and declaring yet another group of mobs to have no payout at all.

How about a penalty option - player kills a "protected species" and receives a fine?

17 hours ago, Thirn said:

Hey! First of all, cheers for the mods. Really like the idea for the bounty one, well done on that one.

On the amounts of coins gained -- I was thinking if it could be possible to base it on Fighting skill gained?

Let's say - (FS gain)x(1 silver), so, say, 0.1674 FS increase would earn you 16 coppers and 74 iron... possibly configurable multiplier too... and flat rate for uniques? Oh and maybe reverting to some flat rate post-70 FS (reduced skill gains from mobs).

The reason is that the way FS progresses already kind of rewards fighting against mobs at your skill level ("easy" mobs don't give much since there's not much risk, "hard" mobs give less, because you either lucked out or overwhelmed them with gear and other advantages); so it's kind of natural to base payout on that.

Additionally, this would take the mob's special qualities ("champion", "sly", etc.), in account, since you do get more skill gains from those! :)

Anyway, that's what I would love to see that as an option, at least!

Thanks again for your work on this! Looking forward to more!

This would also mean that you would have to participate right? I have a starter town  and I ran from a mob that hit me. The Templars made short work of the mob and I received something like 3 or 4 copper.

I can see this as an exploit in a way. Pretty easy to rack up money and not really fight for it.

I love the idea of bounty on mobs. It's a good way to make cash to pay for deed and upkeep. So to actually have a deed you just need to make sure your somewhat active enough to earn your upkeep money.

Perhaps getting a little bit of easy money off of templar and guard help still is not really too bad. It is not like you can camp in one spot indefinatly and rake in the cash all day right? You would have to travel.

At any rate I like your idea. At higher fs skill you would be forced to find more challenging mobs to make it worth while right? This would also mean more experienced toons would tend to leave the smaller mobs for new people.

Edited by Crustyfoot
typo

On 26.11.2015, 13:53:14, Crustyfoot said:

This would also mean that you would have to participate right? I have a starter town  and I ran from a mob that hit me. The Templars made short work of the mob and I received something like 3 or 4 copper.

I can see this as an exploit in a way. Pretty easy to rack up money and not really fight for it.

I love the idea of bounty on mobs. It's a good way to make cash to pay for deed and upkeep. So to actually have a deed you just need to make sure your somewhat active enough to earn your upkeep money.

Perhaps getting a little bit of easy money off of templar and guard help still is not really too bad. It is not like you can camp in one spot indefinatly and rake in the cash all day right? You would have to travel.

At any rate I like your idea. At higher fs skill you would be forced to find more challenging mobs to make it worth while right? This would also mean more experienced toons would tend to leave the smaller mobs for new people.

It's true that using templars (or tower-guards) might feel a bit like exploit-ish, but as you said -- you'll run out of critters fairly quickly. Meanwhile, with FS-gain based bounty you could still do this but you will get severely diminished payouts - since you do get some FS when the NPCs help you, but it's a fraction of what you would normally get.

And thanks! Hoping Walker will notice this and give it a thought. :)

• Like 1

here is so much to read =)

is this now for ago´s modloader?

Hi all!  If you celebrate Thanksgiving, hope you had a happy one.  If not, hope you've been having a good week ;)

So, on to replies to all the suggestions made while I've been out.

Bounty ranges...hmm...doable, but I'll concede not currently high on the priority list.  That'd be another overhaul like putting in the species-specific bounties T_T

Chances for bounties...well, my thought was not making someone dependent on the RNG for getting their upkeep money, but to each their own.  Are you advocating a global bounty "drop" chance, or what?

On the fight-skill gain to bounty idea...it's interesting in theory, the big question though is if I can find where the actual fight skill gain is reported.  Last time I went digging through the code trying to understand how skill checks & skill gain was done, I got lost, cause that code gets very confusing very fast.  That aside, that's the only headache I can foresee there.  While I personally dislike the idea of cutting someone's paycheck cause their skills have improved, given the "no Path question delay" option in MeditateMod (now replaced with the multiplier), it wouldn't be the first time I put in a feature that I wouldn't use.  Plus, I DO like the idea of champion/angry/etc giving increased monies.

On 11/25/2015, 4:13:47, Nappy said:

How about a penalty option - player kills a "protected species" and receives a fine?

Huh.  On the one hand, that does remind me the bounty mod currently doesn't do any special handling for negative bounties (will have to look at that, the words "undefined behavior" is not something you want in relation to something you've coded), my first question here is: penalty to where?  Might be able to find the player's bank account, but don't think that really supports negative numbers there, and the player certainly isn't obligated to be carrying coins around.  Trying to persist a fine that can't be immediately applied is a bit out of my range for the moment.  I mean, maaaybe could do coin in inventory then bank account and if not that give up, but I don't like the idea of discouraging people from banking or carrying their coins.

Of course, again, wouldn't be the first time I put in a feature I personally wouldn't use.  I just want to flesh out the concept a bit more.  Also kinda wondering what sort of species you'd want to protect.

As for the "using guards to kill schtuff" that's something I considered but trying to balance for it is more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.  On top of that, the guards are on fixed locations, so you quickly get to where you're baiting aggressive critters quite a distance, since last I checked neither tower guards nor spirit templars go after non-aggressive critters, even if you pick a fight with them.  So maybe you'll get a few easy kills / bounties when you first set up shop but after that it peters out.  You've got to get a fight skill increase of some sort to get a coin (which means you have to be counted as one of the critter's "attackers".  I think, though I'm not sure, that doing so requires you to get a hit in on it) so it's not like you can stand around AFK and get coins for nearby templar kills.

On 11/25/2015, 4:13:47, Nappy said:

Neat! would it be if the server can detect the number of each mob type then the current protected mob is the one with the lowest population count? Would the penalty be something like no money and maybe you receive a wound? Perhaps you cant even butcher the corpse?

I am interested in hearing your vision of this.

The penalty option might be a fun thing to use if you were trying to grow a particular type of animal on a server. The simplest way to implement might be to just have the fine apply to money in inventory. If they don't have money in inventory then they get a stern warning or something. The other option might be to empty their stamina if no money exists?

Hey Walker, thanks for the response!  As far as ranges are concerned... I could see that being low on the list. The drop chance I mentioned in my mind is basically a global drop chance (i.e. a 50% chance that money will drop when you kill a mob.) Hopefully that makes sense. :D

6 hours ago, WalkerInTheVoid said:

Hi all!  If you celebrate Thanksgiving, hope you had a happy one.  If not, hope you've been having a good week ;)

[...]

On the fight-skill gain to bounty idea...it's interesting in theory, the big question though is if I can find where the actual fight skill gain is reported. 

[...]

[...]I personally dislike the idea of cutting someone's paycheck cause their skills have improved[...]

Hope you enjoyed your turkey! ;)

Re: Skill-gain reporting -- the really quick and dirty way (that I can think of, off the top of my head) of getting info about skillgains would be to read the skill tab log file... But that would require 1) that they are enabled by the client,  2) that the ranges of the skill gain reports are set to enough decimal places... So yeah, that's not much help I guess. Unless the mechanism for writing the logs itself, buried somewhere in the client code, might give insight as to how to obtain that info...?

(On the other, other hand, I might just be showing my ignorance of Java workings here; it's been forever since I last dabbled in it myself.)

Re: Cutting a paycheck based on skill -- hm, I guess that's one way of seeing it... on the other hand,  the skill-gain was only the means of measuring a fair reward based on the effort involved (sorta-kinda like the FS system works). You know, "to each according to his contribution" in a true communist way. :rolleyes::D

• Like 1

hello

i must just upload all the files and folders in the mod folder from ago?

sorry my question but there is no instruction and today i begin with this modloader things =)

Edited by Eject

" MeditateMod - features (as separate config options): "

where are the options?

Re: DigLikeMiningMod (NEW)

(a) When leveling from a flat tile lower than adjacent tile:

[07:17:03] You are not strong enough to carry one more dirt pile.

Not really a usable mod if it breaks Leveling and Flattening. :D

hello friends, today i tested the bountymod i read everywhere ther eare the following chances

10% 5 copper or 1 silver 40% for 5 or 20 copper

now i killed 20 hens and got always 

[08:26:32] You receive a bounty of 50 iron.

and the next question would be, where can i set up the bounty?

thanks for your help =)

Eject

On 11/28/2015, 5:41:25, Crustyfoot said:

Neat! would it be if the server can detect the number of each mob type then the current protected mob is the one with the lowest population count? Would the penalty be something like no money and maybe you receive a wound? Perhaps you cant even butcher the corpse?

I am interested in hearing your vision of this.

Hmm.  I'm not sure the server code actually keeps a running tally of critters on the server anywhere.  So figuring out "the one with the lowest population count" would be the first headache.  Second, how is the player supposed to know that?  I dislike the idea that the player only finds out after killing something that such a creature was "protected" seemingly at random.

On 11/28/2015, 7:40:35, Nappy said:

The penalty option might be a fun thing to use if you were trying to grow a particular type of animal on a server. The simplest way to implement might be to just have the fine apply to money in inventory. If they don't have money in inventory then they get a stern warning or something. The other option might be to empty their stamina if no money exists?

Hmm.  I'll have to look into it when I get a chance.

On 11/29/2015, 12:18:58, Thirn said:

Hope you enjoyed your turkey! ;)

Re: Skill-gain reporting -- the really quick and dirty way (that I can think of, off the top of my head) of getting info about skillgains would be to read the skill tab log file... But that would require 1) that they are enabled by the client,  2) that the ranges of the skill gain reports are set to enough decimal places... So yeah, that's not much help I guess. Unless the mechanism for writing the logs itself, buried somewhere in the client code, might give insight as to how to obtain that info...?

(On the other, other hand, I might just be showing my ignorance of Java workings here; it's been forever since I last dabbled in it myself.)

Re: Cutting a paycheck based on skill -- hm, I guess that's one way of seeing it... on the other hand,  the skill-gain was only the means of measuring a fair reward based on the effort involved (sorta-kinda like the FS system works). You know, "to each according to his contribution" in a true communist way. :rolleyes::D

As for the skillgain reporting, bear in mind these mods are all server-side.  I don't see the client side logs at all.

As for the paycheck cutting, the other thing is how far and wide the higher level hunter then has to go to either find enough critters to pay their bills, or to find mean enough critters to do the same.  But that's more opinion than anything else.

On 11/30/2015, 3:42:06, Eject said:

" MeditateMod - features (as separate config options): "

where are the options?

In the mods directory, there should be a .properties file for each mod as per ago's modloader.  In this case, MeditateMod.properties, just open it with a text editor.

On 11/30/2015, 10:18:54, Trake said:

Re: DigLikeMiningMod (NEW)

(a) When leveling from a flat tile lower than adjacent tile:

[07:17:03] You are not strong enough to carry one more dirt pile.

Not really a usable mod if it breaks Leveling and Flattening. :D

As mentioned previously, currently the mod requires you to be able to pick up one item to your inventory (in this case a dirt) in order to dig, even though said item never goes into your inventory.  Still working on that, but for the moment having enough for one such item lets you dig to your heart's content with the mod.  As a side note, I also want to make it so raising via leveling pulls from items on the tile you're standing on, just to complete things.  Still working on that, too.

On 11/30/2015, 4:42:07, Mogi said:

DigLikeMiningMod

Do you still get gems with this mod?

Yes.  All I've done so far, is make it so dirt, sand, tar, etc end up on the tile you're standing on rather than in inventory.  I haven't tested gems per se, but the worst that should happen is they end up on the tile as well, just as when finding a gem via mining.

On 12/1/2015, 2:35:10, Eject said:

hello friends, today i tested the bountymod i read everywhere ther eare the following chances

10% 5 copper or 1 silver 40% for 5 or 20 copper

now i killed 20 hens and got always 

[08:26:32] You receive a bounty of 50 iron.

and the next question would be, where can i set up the bounty?

thanks for your help =)

Eject

The more recent BountyMod update changed the random bounty for a critter-specific one.  There should be settings for all the bounties in the bountymod.disabled file distributed with the latest BountyMod.  Be sure to rename it to bountymod.properties first (it's put as .disabled in the zip file so that it doesn't accidentally overwrite someone's custom settings with each update).

yeah I was only tossing around in my head something sort of like taking into consideration your various fighting skills compared to the mobs various fighting skills. if your skill is less than the mobs skill your coin gain on the kill would increase exponentially from the bounty for that mob type. If your equal in skills then you would get the standard bounty and if you outmatch the mob there is an exponential penalty subtracting from the bounty. 

I have no idea. As it is right now WalkerInTheVoid is basically fine.

I do like Nappy's idea of a protected species though, however You brought up a good point about not knowing what the protected species is until the first kill if the server is the one that keeps track of what the current endangered species is.

I don't like how that would be either. Not only that, what if it was in self defense? You get attacked by a species and have to kill it and then you get penalized because it was protected. However wouldn't it be interesting if the server did actually know the count of each mob type and you could have the hover text be something like "Endangered Angry Old Crocodile"

actually this is starting to sound more and more like a suggestion for WO. I mean, having the server tell people what is Endangered and even maybe what is open season for what to weed out. The high count species of the server.

Edited by Crustyfoot
As always, typos

New release!

https://github.com/WalkerInTheVoid/WurmMods/releases/tag/v1.4

• DigLikeMiningMod
    • Now no longer makes checks on inventory to see if you can carry things that aren't yet going to your inventory anyway.
    • Enabled dredging to ship
    • Added the ability to use dirt or sand piled on the tile you're standing on if you need to use dirt/sand when flattening or leveling.  The game will use dirt in your inventory, then dirt in a pile, then sand in your inventory, and finally sand in a pile, in that order.
    • Added in a check to see if the item created is an emerald or a bone, in which case it goes to your inventory instead of the ground.

Meanwhile, Crustyfoot, here's an oddball thing about the server: to the server, the creature you mention ("Angry Old Crocodile") is named "Crocodile" and the other prefixes are added elsewhere.  I haven't gotten round to looking into where.  Secondly such a "what's endangered" calculation would have to be on some sort of schedule, but that part isn't the big problem.  The real problem is, if there's a way to tell if the kill was in self-defense, I'm unaware of it.  I mean, an educated guess can be made if the critter in question wasn't hostile to players, but other than that, things get murky very quickly.  And I'm even less fond of a player being penalized for NOT getting killed by a crocodile.

Edited by WalkerInTheVoid
Added link
  • Like 1

Great Job  on your mods!

Any chance you could modify the Meditation Mod to also reduce the action timer for meditating to something more reasonable rather than the 120 seconds?

Thanks,

I've installed the mod (dropped the bountymod folder into the mod folder and renamed .disabled to .properties and placed that with the rest of the property files) and for whatever reason, we're not seeing any messages at all. No money drops and there is no message. Is there supposed to be a message if the kingdom bank is empty? How can I know for sure if the mod is working properly if no money is dropping?

On 12/6/2015 at 4:26 AM, Kodos said:

Great Job  on your mods!

Any chance you could modify the Meditation Mod to also reduce the action timer for meditating to something more reasonable rather than the 120 seconds?

Thanks,

Good idea, I'll look into it when I get a chance.

6 hours ago, Llurendt said:

I've installed the mod (dropped the bountymod folder into the mod folder and renamed .disabled to .properties and placed that with the rest of the property files) and for whatever reason, we're not seeing any messages at all. No money drops and there is no message. Is there supposed to be a message if the kingdom bank is empty? How can I know for sure if the mod is working properly if no money is dropping?

...huh.  If you're getting no money and no messages then the mod isn't working.  It should send a message "There are apparently no coins in the coffers to pay out a bounty at the moment." if there's no money to pay out.

Is it just BountyMod that's not working?  Are any other mods misbehaving?  (Are any other mods loaded for that matter?)  Can you see the console for the server, and does it mention loading the mod (should see a bunch of messages about bounty settings in the console as the server starts).

Hope any of that helps, and if not, well, you know where to find me.

Walker