Sign in to follow this  
WalkerInTheVoid

[RELEASED] Mods for Modloader: Bounties, Digging Like Mining, Meditation, Underground Prospecting, Spider Replacements

Hello all, I've released some mods for use with ago's ModLauncher

https://github.com/WalkerInTheVoid/WurmMods/releases/latest

v1.7

Mods included in this release:

Server Mods:

• BoatMod
    • Change the wind effect for all boats to be like a rowboat, with a commensurate increase in speed, up to the cap.
    • Make all animals able to swim while led by a player
    • Enable continued leading of animals when embarking on a vehicle (no more having to frantically re-lead all your critters when you hop in the boat)
  • BountyMod - features (as separate config options):
    • Enable skillgain for fighting/killing player-bred creatures
    • Convert the chance of receiving a coin award from a slim chance of a rare coin to a certainty of a non-rare coin.  Player-bred creatures offer lesser bounties.  (Note that skillgain for player-bred creatures has to be enabled to award bounties for such kills)
    • Bounty for each species of critter can be independently configured
    • Can pay to bank account instead of into player's inventory
    • Configurable multiplier for all bounties, for ease of fine tuning for your server
    • Configurable multiplier for player-bred creature bounties
    • Bounties can be paid out of thin air (thus unlimited bounty payments) or from the kingdom coffers (thanks Netscreever)
    • Non-hostile, same-kingdom creatures can be set to pay out no bounty (thanks again Netscreever)
  • BulkMod
    • Enables placing hot items into BSBs and FSBs.  (Further features probably coming, depending on feedback)
  • DigLikeMiningMod
    • A recreation of Alexgopen's Digging Like Mining for use with ago's modlauncher.
    • Enabled dredging to ship
    • Added the ability to use dirt or sand piled on the tile you're standing on if you need to use dirt/sand when flattening or leveling.  The game will use dirt in your inventory, then dirt in a pile, then sand in your inventory, and finally sand in a pile, in that order.
  • MeditateMod - features (as separate config options):
    • Enables guaranteed skill success (no more "You fail to relax" or not getting a path question you qualify for)
    • No delay between first 5 skill gains of the day
    • No difference in delay requirements after the first 5 meditations (if the above setting is on, there's no delay requirements for meditation skill gain at all, if it's off, always 30 minutes between meditation skill gains, never 3 hours)
    • Disable distance requirements for meditation skill gains (No more need to move 11 tiles for skillgain)
    • A configurable multiplier for path question cooldowns.  This can be set to half to cut these delays in half, set to 0 to disable them entirely, the choice is yours.
    • Specify custom action duration for meditation
    • (NEW) Configure the delay before joining a new path after leaving an old one
    • (NEW) Now imposes a configurable maximum level a player may reach in any path
  • ProspectMod - features:
    • Prospecting cave floors provides the same information as prospecting a rock tile on the surface above (i.e. detect nearby ore veins)
  • PhobiaMod - for those who find the spider models creepy, features (as separate config options)
    • Replace Huge Spiders with Black Bears
    • Replace Lava Spiders with Lava Fiends
  • SacrificeMod
    • Adds a configurable chance for a rare item to award a bone of the same rarity, instead of the usual benefits.
  • SalveMod
    • Adds "power - " to the beginning of newly made healing cover names, so you no longer have to figure it out in your head.

Client Mod:

• SortMod (NEW)  My first client side mod, which of course requires ago's client modLauncher  Now out of Beta (code unchanged, I have received no error reports either from others or my own testing, though thanks to the chicanery it can give false positives for errors when, say, you get disconnected.  Features (as seperate configuration options):
    • Sort Player Inventory On Game Start
    • Auto Sort Inventory
    • Sort Container Contents on Window Open
    • Auto Sort Container Windows
    • Auto Sort Skills Window

As ago has come out with a patcher for using his modlauncher when you still need to run the executable (a method I find superior to mine), I've taken down my version.

Edited by WalkerInTheVoid
New version: 1.7
  • Like 17

Im using Ago's modlauncher.batch for his priest mod.  In order to use your meditation mod what do I need to do?  I'm not remote hosting just dedicated server for single play. 

Ah, if you're using the batch file, there's no special steps to install these mods over other mods using his awesome framework.  For convenience though:

1. Copy the mods\meditatemod\meditatemod.jar file from inside the jar to <Dedicated Server install directory>\mods\meditatemod\meditatemod.jar
  2. Copy meditatemod.disabled to the \mods directory in your server install.
  3. Rename medidatemod.disabled to meditatemod.properties
  4. Open meditatemod.properties in a text editor.  It has comments explaining which configuration item does what, make sure any features you want on are set to true, and any you don't want are set to false.
  5. Start or Restart your server, and ago's work should handle the rest.

Hope that helps!  (If not, well, obviously you know where to find me ;)  )

• Like 1

Ah, if you're using the batch file, there's no special steps to install these mods over other mods using his awesome framework.  For convenience though:

1. Copy the mods\meditatemod\meditatemod.jar file from inside the jar to <Dedicated Server install directory>\mods\meditatemod\meditatemod.jar

Copy meditatemod.disabled to the \mods directory in your server install.

Rename medidatemod.disabled to meditatemod.properties

Open meditatemod.properties in a text editor.  It has comments explaining which configuration item does what, make sure any features you want on are set to true, and any you don't want are set to false.

Start or Restart your server, and ago's work should handle the rest.

Hope that helps!  (If not, well, obviously you know where to find me ;)  )

Awesome! A bunch of people on my server have been waiting for a meditation mod and this works perfectly. Thanks!  :D

problem with a meditation mod like this, is all they need is 30 skill and boom level 7, they get the first few skills starting 0 at 15 then can immediately get 2 more path levels without gaining more skill. When you remove the delay between path you also need to rewrite the skill requireds or it becomes just plain silly.

problem with a meditation mod like this, is all they need is 30 skill and boom level 7, they get the first few skills starting 0 at 15 then can immediately get 2 more path levels without gaining more skill. When you remove the delay between path you also need to rewrite the skill requireds or it becomes just plain silly.

With respect, well, first, I agree with you, that's not an option I intended to include in the mod, but it WAS one that was requested, and so I put it in anyway.  If you, like me, do not like it on your server, just turn it off in the properties.  It can be enabled and disabled independent of other features of the mod.

Yes, and I need to apologize to you, I was tired when I wrote that post and it came of kind of dbag like, I am sorry.  I should have worded that much better.

Edited by Xyp
  • Like 2

Would it be possible to make a mod similiar to Ago's spell change of the courier spell?  Wondering if theres a way to either modify Web Armor, Demise Shields and Aura of Shared pain to work on Rings, Necklaces and Bracelets or to change the Nolocate spell to do something else that would make using/creating jewelry useful.

Yes, and I need to apologize to you, I was tired when I wrote that post and it came of kind of dbag like, I am sorry.  I should have worded that much better.

I assure you I've done worse under similar situations.  Besides, you had a valid point, one that I agree with.  But I see these mods as increasing options, rather than trying to enforce a uniform game-balance.  (If only because that lets me not worry about such headaches overmuch.)  Still, what's good for one server may not be ANY good for another.

I assure you I've done worse under similar situations.  Besides, you had a valid point, one that I agree with.  But I see these mods as increasing options, rather than trying to enforce a uniform game-balance.  (If only because that lets me not worry about such headaches overmuch.)  Still, what's good for one server may not be ANY good for another.

Yep yep, great thing about WU, server can and SHOULD be different, so players have choices :)

Would it be possible to make a mod similiar to Ago's spell change of the courier spell?  Wondering if theres a way to either modify Web Armor, Demise Shields and Aura of Shared pain to work on Rings, Necklaces and Bracelets or to change the Nolocate spell to do something else that would make using/creating jewelry useful.

Short answer....I don't know.  The hard part isn't adding a new spell, it's making that spell work.  I looked into making Vessel work on some sort of jewelry (Like you, I think there should be more uses for jewelrycrafting) but got stymied by the fact that Vessel seems to store its data in an area that may or may not be available for non-gems.  That "may or may not" should tell you how confusing it was.

Still, I may have to look over ago's work on Bag of Holding again.

For the Meditation mod, is it possible to reduce the time between questions so that its half or some fraction the time it normally takes in WO?  I believe there should be some time investment to get the meditation levels but waiting a month to advance is a bit much on an accelerated skill server.

Thanks for the mod!

If I may make a suggestion for BountyMod, can you possibly add an option to adjust how much money the mobs drop? Me and my buddies went out hunting with BountyMod enabled and we were getting upwards of 1 silver per kill. :U 

Edited by Balack

If I may make a suggestion for BountyMod, can you possibly add an option to adjust how much money the mobs drop? Me and my buddies went out hunting with BountyMod enabled and we were getting upwards of 1 silver per kill. :U 

For the Meditation mod, is it possible to reduce the time between questions so that its half or some fraction the time it normally takes in WO?  I believe there should be some time investment to get the meditation levels but waiting a month to advance is a bit much on an accelerated skill server.

Thanks for the mod!

o.O

That...it shouldn't award more than 1 silver per kill, and only 10% chance of even that...at least per person.  Or did you mean total amongst your hunting party?

Edited by Balack

something to look into for future for your bounty mod maybe. If you take a look at Creature.class under the method createBasicItem it has the methods for giving trolls clubs, nogumps the helmets and swords etc. This could be expanded upon so that you could include whatever individual creatures you would like, and this way you could give more coin for tougher creatures less for weaker ones. I did not dive too deeply into it, I just did a check here for if (isMonster) {give money code}

Sorry, I meant to say we were each getting 1 silver coin occasionally. If possible, I'd like to be able to adjust it to a max of 5-20 copper. Awesome mods in any case!

Ahh.  Yeah, I just used the same values the vanilla game uses but changed the chance to a certainty.  This means 10% chance of 1 copper, 40% chance of 5 copper, 40% of 20 copper, and the remaining 10% 1 silver.  Also made it so the coins aren't given out as rares.

I did have the foresight to cut player-bred creature bounties such that they receive 1 coin type lower (1 copper becomes 1 iron, 1 silver becomes 1 copper), but for wild critters that just seemed too little.  Also, the money comes from the kingdom coffers.  If there's not enough money in there (10 silver) then bounties stop being paid out (and the player receives a message to that effect), so this isn't an infinite money or a totally runaway inflation thing.

I may need to rethink how I'm doing it, see if it can be made configurable.

As for changing the payout on a per-critter basis...that's quite doable, I'm just not sure if I want to dive into trying to even vaguely balance such a thing.  Might be easier to scale the rewards off the critters fight skill or something.

Okay.  The more I think about this, the more I think I need to rethink BountyMod.  So, if you'll bear with me whilst I ramble on about my intentions and design choices, then maybe you can help me make it better and we can all benefit from that.

Before I get any further, I want to thank everyone for their feedback.  I had thought few would be interested, but your interest has been very uplifting and rewarding.  I'm glad you all like it and I'm glad for the feedback on what can be made better.

Getting back to BountyMod, the primary purpose was to give some method other than trader-draining for getting coins back into player hands.  Hunting, and the coin awards from the same, seemed to be the best choice.  It was thinking about "putting a bounty on their heads" that made me come up with the name.

The "my hunting party got a bunch of money" problem-ish Balack reported was actually a design choice.  Given that WU forces 1 player 1 character barring multiple computers, steam accounts, etc (something I felt sufficient to assume 1 player per character), I figured having individual rewards for a hunting party might encourage people to group up and go on such group hunting trips.  My thinking was that WO's idea of forcing player cooperation by requiring multiple characters to do things has (in my opinion) failed as people just make alts, but the IDEA of encouraging cooperation was a good one.  I was hoping that by rewarding such cooperation, but by no means requiring it, that'd be a good idea, and maybe a better method of encouraging that desired cooperation / interaction.  Did I succeed?  Who knows.

But what I didn't think about, is that this system offers the SAME rewards for killing a wild hen as a troll, and the more I think of that the less sense it makes.  In vanilla WO/WU it's not that glaring of a problem since getting ANY coins was a low probability (one in a hundred for non-domestic critters) that I imagine it wasn't the primary purpose/objective of hunters, being more keen on their tasty meats and other resources.

So, now I've created this monster, time for me to deal with it.  There's 104 template ids (and thus creature models, though some of those are for guards / spirit templars / etc that will not award coins anyway ) and that's a bit bigger than I'd like to code individual rewards for, but it may not be insurmountable if I make the bounty a non-random amount, and if I do that I could make it configurable per creature type (be a big properties file, but text is cheap memory-wise anyway).

I could get the fight skill and scale it off that, but things like body strength and health/endurance/weapon types are also factors in difficulty and I don't pretend to understand how they all factor in.  Plus, oversimplifying like that was how this problem started, so a little leery of falling into that pitfall again.

Other possibilities are to spread out the rewards by awarding bounties that don't conform to a single coin's value, but instead could be multiple coins.  (1 copper coin, a twenty-iron coin and four 1 iron coins, reported as "worth 1 copper and 24 irons", for example)

My current problem is I can see all these options, but I don't know which one is the right path to go.  So lemme hear your opinions?

Good stuff guys....along with Xyp's suggestion (which got me thinking about this) money on mobs thing...

however with it just there in inv any Fo priest of some faith can just walk up to most animals and look>equipment and see what coin then not kill it if not worth it....

Got me to thinking can you put the coin in the butchered window?

reasons: let say your out hunting and 5 people kill troll do you give coin to all 5?

makes butchering even more valuable.

If person forgets to get coin loot...then it's still there for others to find on ground(treasure hunt)

easier to set determined amounts.

Anyway just some early morning thoughts while having first cup of coffee....enjoy and keep up the great work.

But what I didn't think about, is that this system offers the SAME rewards for killing a wild hen as a troll, and the more I think of that the less sense it makes.  In vanilla WO/WU it's not that glaring of a problem since getting ANY coins was a low probability (one in a hundred for non-domestic critters) that I imagine it wasn't the primary purpose/objective of hunters, being more keen on their tasty meats and other resources.

So, now I've created this monster, time for me to deal with it.  There's 104 template ids (and thus creature models, though some of those are for guards / spirit templars / etc that will not award coins anyway ) and that's a bit bigger than I'd like to code individual rewards for, but it may not be insurmountable if I make the bounty a non-random amount, and if I do that I could make it configurable per creature type (be a big properties file, but text is cheap memory-wise anyway).

If it's not too much work for you, I think this would be a great idea. It'd make trolls and whatnot definitely worth killing if they dropped a larger sum of money than easier and passive mobs. I really appreciate the mod in any case, it's helping build a bit of an economy on my server.  :)

Good stuff guys....along with Xyp's suggestion (which got me thinking about this) money on mobs thing...

however with it just there in inv any Fo priest of some faith can just walk up to most animals and look>equipment and see what coin then not kill it if not worth it....

reasons: let say your out hunting and 5 people kill troll do you give coin to all 5?

makes butchering even more valuable.

If person forgets to get coin loot...then it's still there for others to find on ground(treasure hunt)

easier to set determined amounts.

Anyway just some early morning thoughts while having first cup of coffee....enjoy and keep up the great work.

reasons:let say your out hunting and 5 people kill troll do you give coin to all 5?

You could maybe do the case switches for coin type first, then maybe add a multiplier for harder monsters? so say case switch maxes at 1 copper coin for coin type, but you set trolls to have 3x the coin amount?

(just an example leading to an idea, this is not thought out.)

Edited by Xyp