Sign in to follow this  
Borgir

WU2GMap - Google Maps generator for WU [discontinued]

Feature suggestion:

Now that it is possible to have the Wurm server send a map to the Wurm client would it be possible to extend this tool by also creating a 620 x 620 image of the top level surface map?

If possible it would also be nice to be able to have a few configurable options for what appears on this 620 x 620 map.

- Deed names - on/off

- Landmark names - on/off

- Towers visible - on/off

This tool is producing maps that the people on my server seem to love using. Thanks for creating it!

~Nappy

On 11/12/2015 at 6:30 AM, Nappy said:

Feature suggestion:

Now that it is possible to have the Wurm server send a map to the Wurm client would it be possible to extend this tool by also creating a 620 x 620 image of the top level surface map?

If possible it would also be nice to be able to have a few configurable options for what appears on this 620 x 620 map.

- Deed names - on/off

This tool is producing maps that the people on my server seem to love using. Thanks for creating it!

~Nappy

Sure, added to my TODO list.

I'm still busy, but will continue on project again this weekend... hopefully :)

That is a huge amount of configurability! In looking through the options does (or will) one of them allow the deedname to be placed at token location instead of centered?

20 hours ago, Nappy said:

In looking through the options does (or will) one of them allow the deedname to be placed at token location instead of centered?

Good point. Added more option to config file.

On 11/12/2015 at 6:30 AM, Nappy said:

Feature suggestion:

- Deed names - on/off

A couple of questions about this, if I may.

How does this "in-game map" thingy work anyway? There's only one image needed? 620 x 620 or 920x620 pixels? Or also another one needed for the zoomed state?

Also I'm not sure I'll be able to put texts directly into PNG image (it probably wouldn't be very readable in some cases), but I could:

1. mark stuff (settlements, towers, etc...) by pixels of specified colors
  2. generate SQL file with in-game markers (annotations)

The ingame map is just like the one in WO. We live in square worlds so 620 x 620 is the dimension we would have to go since the final image is 920 x 620 I think.

What I will do with the image is create a blue coloured background image of 920 x 620 and then place the image from your program in the foreground evenly spaced so blue shows on each side of the island. 

When using the map ingame you can look at it in two modes. Normal mode just shows the whole map, zoomed in mode allows you to zoom in on a section of the map.

Maybe just marking the settlements in annotations would be great.

~Nappy

15 hours ago, Nappy said:

The ingame map is just like the one in WO. We live in square worlds so 620 x 620 is the dimension we would have to go since the final image is 920 x 620 I think.

What I will do with the image is create a blue coloured background image of 920 x 620 and then place the image from your program in the foreground evenly spaced so blue shows on each side of the island. 

I see, check updated config file for optional borders.

When using the map ingame you can look at it in two modes. Normal mode just shows the whole map, zoomed in mode allows you to zoom in on a section of the map.

Ok, so it seems like there's no need for the second (bigger image), client can just zoom it automatically (it's bit blurred).

Maybe just marking the settlements in annotations would be great.

There are 4 kinds of annotations:

• fixed - hardcoded (home/spawn towns), can't use these
  • private
  • village
  • alliance

Do you want everyone to be able to see every village? Or just their own alliances? Or something else...

Good points!

My server is a PVE server where everyone is in the same kingdom. I would likely set it so that everyone on the server could see it.

The more I think about it the more I like your pixel color idea instead. It allows people to see where deeds are, if they want to find a name and mark it later with an annotation then they would have to visit. Guard tower locations would be good to show on the map too (as an option).

The only other thing I add to my ingame map image other then borders is a line at the bottom of the map pointing to my server specific web server (http://wurm-napland.com/wordpress).

[EDIT]

Disregard, found the error was lack of -Xmx8G assigned to Java for my map, which takes 7GB to do anything with, LOL 

[/EDIT]

I went to generate my custom 8192x8192 map and it threw this error...

Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLException: [SQLITE_CORRUPT]  The database
 disk image is malformed (database disk image is malformed)
        at org.sqlite.core.DB.newSQLException(DB.java:890)
        at org.sqlite.core.DB.newSQLException(DB.java:901)
        at org.sqlite.core.DB.throwex(DB.java:868)
        at org.sqlite.jdbc3.JDBC3ResultSet.next(JDBC3ResultSet.java:83)
        at dig.borgir.wu2gmap.wu.MyWuMap.readDbTowers(MyWuMap.java:218)
        at dig.borgir.wu2gmap.wu.MyWuMap.<init>(MyWuMap.java:68)
        at dig.borgir.wu2gmap.wu.WuMapFactory.createWuMap(WuMapFactory.java:14)
        at dig.borgir.wu2gmap.WU2GMap.main(WU2GMap.java:32)

Which indicates a map error, Yet it's been working fine for all my players.

Any ideas?

Edited by GrimmLiberty

Is this still in development? Tried to set it up today and got the following:

Oops! Something went wrong.

This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details.

Not active atm, I'm quite busy (playing WU and working on some mods), also there are already better tools for maps out there.

If you can copy/paste the exact error (from JS console) here, maybe I could help you.

• Like 1

To be honest, I prefer this one you've created because it allows for plotting of more than just deeds... The ones I've seen so far have allowed only for deeds to be plotted, and seem to get persnickety in some environments, for example non-Windows environments or ones where the web services aren't hosted on the same box... Etc. Maybe I've missed a viable alternative but I'm quite content with yours for now.

Anyway, it was complaining about the lack of a Google Maps API key but upon discovering your source code was available I actually plugged away at this myself :)

Modified it a bit so that it would accept an api key specified in the config.ini, and also made some tweaks so it would generate the "run2" script for Linux systems as well. I would be more than happy to share the code with you if you'd like.

6 hours ago, Ignacius said:

To be honest, I prefer this one you've created because it allows for plotting of more than just deeds... The ones I've seen so far have allowed only for deeds to be plotted, and seem to get persnickety in some environments, for example non-Windows environments or ones where the web services aren't hosted on the same box... Etc. Maybe I've missed a viable alternative but I'm quite content with yours for now.

Anyway, it was complaining about the lack of a Google Maps API key but upon discovering your source code was available I actually plugged away at this myself :)

Modified it a bit so that it would accept an api key specified in the config.ini, and also made some tweaks so it would generate the "run2" script for Linux systems as well. I would be more than happy to share the code with you if you'd like.

Amazing. Sure, I'd like to include your updates to the project. I can even add you as a contributor on GitHub, so you could commit updates directly, if you want.

Thanks.

Hey, I completely forgot to check back with this thread! haha

I'd rather just send you what I did... What would be the best way to do so?

On 8/26/2016 at 6:04 AM, Ignacius said:

Hey, I completely forgot to check back with this thread! haha

I'd rather just send you what I did... What would be the best way to do so?

Ignacius,

Can I get a copy of your fixes for Linux.  I am running a Headless server on Ubuntu and the latest release isn't Linux friendly as you know.  Other Map generators are gui based so not able to be scripted on a headless box.

On 8/7/2016 at 7:11 AM, Ignacius said:

Is this still in development? Tried to set it up today and got the following:

Oops! Something went wrong.

This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details.

I get the same message for my map as well.

Any chance you could share the files Ignacius?

Edited by Governor

Hey there

Not sure if this project is still maintained, but I sure love it.

I had no issue generating the maps from my map/db files, apart from ImageMagick 7.x having changed so no more "convert.exe" available.

The fix to this is to install the "legacy options" while installing ImageMagick 7.x, at least until the code is fixed to use the unified binaries.

Now on to a problem....

Locally on my machine, the generated maps work fine, but once uploaded, there is a problem. It could be XSS or something, not sure.

Anyway had this issue, and know how to fix it?

http://notnull.xyz/wu_gmap/map/  <-- example of the issue.

"Oops something went wrong"

EDIT: just saw the post before mine is similiar. If it's a api key error, then surely we can all apply for our own keys/tokens on google maps, but this will have to be catered for in the config file, with a default blank.

Edited by Marlon

On 3/14/2017 at 4:18 AM, Marlon said:

Hey there

Not sure if this project is still maintained, but I sure love it.

I had no issue generating the maps from my map/db files, apart from ImageMagick 7.x having changed so no more "convert.exe" available.

The fix to this is to install the "legacy options" while installing ImageMagick 7.x, at least until the code is fixed to use the unified binaries.

Now on to a problem....

Locally on my machine, the generated maps work fine, but once uploaded, there is a problem. It could be XSS or something, not sure.

Anyway had this issue, and know how to fix it?

http://notnull.xyz/wu_gmap/map/  <-- example of the issue.

"Oops something went wrong"

EDIT: just saw the post before mine is similiar. If it's a api key error, then surely we can all apply for our own keys/tokens on google maps, but this will have to be catered for in the config file, with a default blank.

Would love to add my own in but not sure where to edit the configuration file

It's because this change required some modifications to the actual Java code for the map generator. I just submitted the needed changes to Borgir, my apologies for taking so long with this.

Hopefully he'll be able to push them up to the project for everyone. I didn't put the changes needed for the Linux shell script to be generated here, unfortunately they went poof along with my Ubuntu VM I had them hosted on. (hard drive failure) If I get some extra time I'll try to assemble those from memory as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for replying dude.

Don't apologise, we are all sitting on our hands with an opensource project, so you actually did something! Thanks

Hope he will merge your PR, because it would be a fantastic forward motion for this :)

Cheerios

M

On 3/20/2017 at 6:07 AM, Ignacius said:

It's because this change required some modifications to the actual Java code for the map generator. I just submitted the needed changes to Borgir, my apologies for taking so long with this.

Hopefully he'll be able to push them up to the project for everyone. I didn't put the changes needed for the Linux shell script to be generated here, unfortunately they went poof along with my Ubuntu VM I had them hosted on. (hard drive failure) If I get some extra time I'll try to assemble those from memory as well.

So if I follow this correctly the changes got submitted to Borgir but there is no backup to repost them unfortunately. Was just wondering if anyone got this resolved. In the files I see reference to the GoogleAPI but no keys so I'm not really sure what the actual problem is.

EDIT: Nevermind I couldn't figure it out originally because I saw no reference to where you put an API key but that was the point it wasn't attempting to use an API key. I'd have to figure out how to fix this in the generation process but you can open the index.html files under  map or underground and edit this line near the top:

<script src="https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?v=3.exp"></script>

and edit it to be:

<script src="https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=YOURGOOGLEAPIKEYHERE&v=3.exp"></script>

and off you go to the horse races. You can obtain your own key here:

Google Maps API Project

Edited by LifesaverM
new info
  • Like 1