Sign in to follow this  
Miretta

Berithana 2048x, dirtlayer 120, mountainous with rivers

May I ask how you made your heightmap? How did you get those fractals along the mountain tops? I am having trouble making one for my map.

On 12/12/2015 at 4:59 PM, Nyctinus said:

May I ask how you made your heightmap? How did you get those fractals along the mountain tops? I am having trouble making one for my map.

l3dt :) 

On 12/14/2015 at 6:39 PM, Miretta said:

l3dt :) 

Is there a specific setting that you're changing in L3DT To reflect a similar water level?

I just build a hieghtmap that was about 80% underwater and when I imported it into Eitr's WGenerator I had to increase the water level to 3500 in order to get a similar water height.

On 20/12/2015 at 8:45 AM, Syphorus said:

Is there a specific setting that you're changing in L3DT To reflect a similar water level?

I just build a hieghtmap that was about 80% underwater and when I imported it into Eitr's WGenerator I had to increase the water level to 3500 in order to get a similar water height.

it's a bit about testing, but I would go and check Operations--->Heightfield--->Resize Heightfield and set it to 4. This sets details of the map to be consistent with wurm maps, atleast it's closest since every tile in wurm is 4 meters.

Next would be in the same menu "Change Vertical Range", left top value is water lvl and right top value is max height of the map. For it to be consistent with wurmgenerator it seems to be that dividing whatever you want to have in Eitrs wurm generator by 10 and then use those numbers inside l3dt, as example: you want a water lvl of 400 and a max mountainheight of 3000, then you need to put it to -40 and 300 in l3dt.
thats atleast what I figured out after some testing. 

Made another test, just to confirm that it works as I said:

this image is from l3dt (texture map to make it better visible)
note the small lake on bottom left and how the mountains look like.

Settings were 1024x1024 map, vertical range -40 to 800 and Resize Heightfield set to 4

qKwrZhN.png

then I imported it into Eitrs Map Generator (note that you need to change max height inside Generator of the map BEFORE importing the heightmap, same for resolution)
I changed max height to 8000 and changed water height to 400 and used just 40 dirt to drop, this is the result:

YfrsKkq.png

of course it's a little bit tilted, but I think this should explain it fairly well :)
Which btw. also means, that whatever map you want to do in l3dt, needs quite alot of preperation to work with the map generator and wurm in general.

Edited by Miretta
forgot something

9 hours ago, Miretta said:

it's a bit about testing, but I would go and check Operations--->Heightfield--->Resize Heightfield and set it to 4. This sets details of the map to be consistent with wurm maps, atleast it's closest since every tile in wurm is 4 meters.

Next would be in the same menu "Change Vertical Range", left top value is water lvl and right top value is max height of the map. For it to be consistent with wurmgenerator it seems to be that dividing whatever you want to have in Eitrs wurm generator by 10 and then use those numbers inside l3dt, as example: you want a water lvl of 400 and a max mountainheight of 3000, then you need to put it to -40 and 300 in l3dt.
thats atleast what I figured out after some testing. 

Made another test, just to confirm that it works as I said:

this image is from l3dt (texture map to make it better visible)
note the small lake on bottom left and how the mountains look like.

Settings were 1024x1024 map, vertical range -40 to 800 and Resize Heightfield set to 4

Spoiler

qKwrZhN.png

then I imported it into Eitrs Map Generator (note that you need to change max height inside Generator of the map BEFORE importing the heightmap, same for resolution)
I changed max height to 8000 and changed water height to 400 and used just 40 dirt to drop, this is the result:

Spoiler

YfrsKkq.png

of course it's a little bit tilted, but I think this should explain it fairly well :)
Which btw. also means, that whatever map you want to do in l3dt, needs quite alot of preperation to work with the map generator and wurm in general.

Thanks for the reply! Once I get better (pneumonia makes it hard to focus on anything for me) I'll give it a go with your suggestions!

On 02/01/2016 at 10:38 AM, Syphorus said:

Thanks for the reply! Once I get better (pneumonia makes it hard to focus on anything for me) I'll give it a go with your suggestions!

I forgot one thing: it seems that l3dt is changing the vertical range when generating a new heightmap from your design map, so setting it back to the values you wanted it to be is probably helpful (I'm not sure why it does that though)

I wish you a good recovery :) 

Is there any chance for 1024X1024 version of this map or similarly looking 1024X1024 map? :D

On 1/3/2016 at 3:05 AM, Miretta said:

I forgot one thing: it seems that l3dt is changing the vertical range when generating a new heightmap from your design map, so setting it back to the values you wanted it to be is probably helpful (I'm not sure why it does that though)

I wish you a good recovery :) 

I cannot for the life of me get this to do anything remotely like what you're getting. :(

I'm using L3DT 15.11 Pro (evaluation version).

I'm guessing by "Resize Heightfield" you mean something else, because changing that to "4" makes the world tiny (being as the values in the heightfield are the px dimentions). I've tried setting Horizontal scale to 4, and that doesn't do much, and setting vertical scale within the parameters you suggest basically just flattens the world. I'm definitely not giving up, but it's not going very well, haha.

On 24/01/2016 at 3:02 AM, Syphorus said:

I cannot for the life of me get this to do anything remotely like what you're getting. :(

I'm using L3DT 15.11 Pro (evaluation version).

I'm guessing by "Resize Heightfield" you mean something else, because changing that to "4" makes the world tiny (being as the values in the heightfield are the px dimentions). I've tried setting Horizontal scale to 4, and that doesn't do much, and setting vertical scale within the parameters you suggest basically just flattens the world. I'm definitely not giving up, but it's not going very well, haha.

maybe, if I find the time (it's very busy atm) I could make a video tutorial :) or something like that, specially since I myself had trouble finding proper tutorials for this program and had to chew my way through the documentation, not to mention that making maps for wurm is a special case with different challenges than "just" making a map for other kinds of games due to the tile size.

On 23/01/2016 at 5:21 PM, Warlander said:

Is there any chance for 1024X1024 version of this map or similarly looking 1024X1024 map? :D

maaaaayyyybe similar looking map :) but most likely after my big secret map project is done, which will take a while :P

On 11/13/2015 at 6:23 PM, Miretta said:

I know this is an older thread, but how did you get the mountains to be so steep in your map?  I downloaded it, up loaded the height map into L3DT, and then generated a new map and i still had decent height mountains.  When i do a custom map in L3DT using the custom settings you recommend (horizontal scale 4, and a vertical range of say -200 to 1000) i always wind up with pancake mountains at the bottom and gently rolling at the top - despite high altitude in L3DT, applying fractal and peak rough, etc.  It's like the map gets "stretched" when it's uploaded into Eitr's Map Generator 2.8.  I am working with a 4096x4096 map.  

If you have any other pointers, i'd sure like to read them!

Edited by Mithlar

I wished I would know what I was writing in there XD not sure why it got deleted :/

btw. regarding the height and peak of mountains....first: heightmaps are relative, their 3 dimensional representation is being manipulated by defining in which range the grayscale is being stretched to, which also means that it's somewhat of a balance game to get a good looking map.

As an example, you can have the same heightmap being displayed in a height between 0 and 500 latitude or you can have same map displayed with difference of -200 to 8000.

As far as i remember (and I'm not sure if I remember correctly) in his map generator you need to type the map height BEFORE you import your heightmap or else it will take whatever height was previously put there(it's not updating afterwards) and I think I was always above 3000 height, but quite often went up to 8000. I would suggest looking at the topology map right after importing the heightmap.

Also another thing, within l3dt there is an option called horizontal scale, which usually also pops up when you make a new project (but you can also change it while working with a map already) it should be set to 4 meters, because every tile in wurm is supposed to be 4 by 4 meters in size, that way you can assure correct scaling. Then there is vertical range within the menu aswell, with which you can make sure you set the heights to what you want in the map generator aswell. let's say you want mountains to peak at 6000 and want the sea to be 600 deep, then your TOTAL height in map generator would be 6600 and within l3dt you would set the min and max altitude accordingly (hint: min is sea depth, max is land height).

although I noticed a few times that it can be slightly off, due to l3dt weird habit of resetting horizontal scale when recalculating design or heightmap, so always check it when changing those 2 maps!

Beware that it's quite long time that I was last time making a map for wurm unlimited, so I'm not sure about the exact numbers....specifically since my old post contents seems to have been deleted O.o

oh and another thing about the stretching issue: that is correct, if you make a 4096 map the scaling of pixels of the heightmap is getting spread further, which means height differences need to be more extreme (specifically in the map generator). 

I love your map and am trying to load it onto my Citadel Server It looks like its loading properly but the starting zones are all messed up. One is under water and the others are all on uneven ground. 

7 hours ago, Stimpy said:

I love your map and am trying to load it onto my Citadel Server It looks like its loading properly but the starting zones are all messed up. One is under water and the others are all on uneven ground. 

that's something you need to change in the server settings :) I'm only providing a geographical map, no server settings.

FYI, looked around with a cart, and then flew around in GM flight mode. NO FLOWERS ANYWHERE. odd I know but there are no flowers that I could see anywhere on the map...come join my server if you dont believe me...

(sorry if this sounded rude, I just woke up and had an argument with g/f, that was not intentional)

Edited by coffeene

1 minute ago, coffeene said:

FYI, looked around with a cart, and then flew around in GM flight mode. NO FLOWERS ANYWHERE. odd I know but there are no flowers that I could see anywhere on the map...come join my server if you dont believe me...

It might be because i made this map with older version of the map generator and if i recall correctly it had issues with spawning flowers....sorry for that.

I am almost proud of myself for managing to load this for my solo dedicated server, first try :). It is a stunning looking map, for sure! I love it.

However, I find the white light altar underwater. I read the thread and see where it is said server settings affect placement of things but, I don't have a server and wondered if someone could tell me what file or thing to do to move the white light please? I do have a black wand, perhaps I can just raise the terrain under it to become an island and that would do it the easiest way ? . Or maybe there is a way I can move it somewhere? 

I may have (OK certainly) done something wrong though. I spawned into this the first try with my old toon, GM, black wand. No biggie as I had done zero on the Ocrea map, I hated it so, but maybe this is a file I did not do something right with which caused the altar to be out in the ocean? I had expected to have to remake my toon...

Don't seriously care beyond this as it is just me exploring and playing it, but that altar underwater is gonna bug me I know :( 

What did I do? Or what should I know to do to change to fix this please, someone? Thank you. 

ps also how do I get the game map to reflect this map now? Thanks again

Edited by Raynwolf
added question
  • Like 1

Just use wand use tag item on altar, fly to location you want it and summon the altar. Do a reboot of the server to get light effect and holy ground.

• Like 1

Thank you Jerone. It didn't go when I tagged and moved it, so I thought it failed. Didn't know it took a reboot. They moved fine :).