Sign in to follow this  
NESGamepro

Soul Depth Useless for Priests?

I'm hearing that soul depth isn't used in casting based on secrets learned in Wurm Unlimited. I didn't find a discussion about it though. Would anyone care to enlighten me? What should a priest train if not SD?

Basically "Soul depth for priests" was Aetherwalker and co. mass swearing to get people to pay them for panfilling. That's the story to it.

*cough* The great Xanadu Cookhouse *cough*

And train channeling, get a good altar, cast on high QL items. That's all the things that come to my mind. 

Edited by Hashirama

For wurm unlimited it doesnt.. pretty sure ti doesnt for WO either :)

Interesting responses...

The SD for priests idea has been around a lot longer than Xanadu so I don't know what you mean on that. Also I'd never pay for pan filling, I don't play that way.

How does a priest vyn train mind logic? I've heard the mind logic thing and it does make some sense because vyn randomly gives small amounts when praying. Is that actually part of the formula? Maybe a Java guru could find that piece of code and post it?

• Like 1

I did hear mind logic mentioned.  Which is also gained fastest from HFC.  So while I have never been in the pan filling business or in the soul depth camp.  I don't think it was useless.  Skills gained are never useless though.

While the person talking to me didn't find religion entering much into casting, I can't but help think that it is in there somewhere that just hasn't been found yet.

Rite of Spring also gives mind logic....

Edited by Pashka

This would be so funny if it's true, it's been a generally accepted "fact" for literally years now and Rolf has just been laughing his ass off the whole time at people spending godless amounts of money on high SD priest accounts and panfilling etc. etc.

• Like 6

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/90271-soul-depth-advice/?p=952246

Rauthr, on 07 Nov 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

This would be so funny if it's true, it's been a generally accepted "fact" for literally years now and Rolf has just been laughing his ass off the whole time at people spending godless amounts of money on high SD priest accounts and panfilling etc. etc.

that sneaky Rolf lol

[media

Edited by Griffith
  • Like 2

well with WU learned allot of things that found to be false like GM saying that cant help you if you spawned in and got stuck in a fenced erea then play a gm and can find they can summon a players so they basically chooses not to help you get unstuck 

Can anyone who has coding knowledge and has looked into this add something to this conversation please. I would like to know as I am about to embark on skilling up another priest. Would be nice to know whether it is true or not. Thanks.

It has no impact. It's a known fact at this point. Maybe someone will post the code here, it's not immediately interpretable as a single line so the "proof" is kind of :effort: to produce.

Thanks. On a similar topic, what impact does deed enchanting bonus have on casting?

Edited by McGarnicle
  • Like 1

well with WU learned allot of things that found to be false like GM saying that cant help you if you spawned in and got stuck in a fenced erea then play a gm and can find they can summon a players so they basically chooses not to help you get unstuck 

• Like 1

Basically "Soul depth for priests" was Aetherwalker and co. mass swearing to get people to pay them for panfilling. That's the story to it.

*cough* The great Xanadu Cookhouse *cough*

And train channeling, get a good altar, cast on high QL items. That's all the things that come to my mind. 

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 4

SD theory was around much before then Proph. Based on the fact that priests could only do nature stuff, which mostly improved soul stats. Idea always been floating around on JKH days..

SD theory was around much before then Proph. Based on the fact that priests could only do nature stuff, which mostly improved soul stats. Idea always been floating around on JKH days..

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

Aye, its a fairly old one. Granted pan-fillers do like to promote it, it encourages more business afterall.

Some versions of the theory even got into more detail with SD being more helpful with certain gods, and with other gods it was SS.

Not to mention SD supposedly being a factor in the usage of certain pvp enchants.

Personally only worried about SD being high enough to champ with. Didn't bother watching it otherwise.

Now Mind Logic is certainly a nice stat to focus on; though, it can still be like watching water boil.

Eh, thats not really close to where the SD/SS stuff came about.

Around 2011 WKM, Mojo and myself thought noticed a difference in SD and started to tell people and it spread like wildfire, this was back when hellroth was still being grinded.

The panfilling was a result of that, and even then I don't think anyone has really proved that there isn't a difference in SD on WO, it could just be a WU thing, there are a lot of just WU things. (particularly with the combat system we noticed, there are modified parry rates for certain weapons.)

HFC is probably the fastest way to train ML.

The second you could host a WU dedicated server, the server code was out.

GM's have to follow certain rules, and it may be forbidden for lower level GM's to do things like that if they even have the power on WO at all.

yea, my true experience with higher sd is it gave me higher casts but also many more lower casts.

like it pushed the extremes of failure and at the same time i get more 90+ casts. but its just my

observation without speadsheets. maybe its the mind logic you get from it? we need someone to

really dig that code? lol  gimme your secrets dammit dont bogart lol

but its channeling and faith first for an enchanting priest

Hrm assuming data collected is even accurate, there's observational bias to be taken into account.

Let alone even being aware of the proper means of interpreting the data. The mathematics involved are usually taught well above the high school level; though, the basics can be introduced early.

For example, I have long lost count of the number of conversations I have had with people trying to tell them that just because the creation chance says 20%, it doesn't mean you will succeed 20 times out of a 100 attempts. In reverse, just because you succeeded half of the attempts, it doesn't make the probability 50%.

In mathematics, its referred to as independent events. The chance of a particular event is independent of events that preceded it. Flipping a coin is a classic example.

And yes programming languages use pseudo-random number generators, which granted are not truly random.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 2

I always said that grinding soul depth to be a better channeler is like grinding body control to be a better carpenter.  Now that the server code is out, I'm glad I never fell for the panfiller scam/moneysink.

Characteristics roll for a gain with pertinent actions, but the results of that roll are discarded and do not factor into the skill's bonus.  Characteristics do nothing "in general", only contributing where the code explicitly calls them.  For example, soul depth is only used to speed up the timer when using a pendulum.

Even if SD did contribute to enchanting, the bonus for channeling is easily capped out by having max alignment and only 29 faith bonus.  Even the deed enchanting bonus is worthless in this regard.

• Like 1

I just want to add that Soul Depth will help with the use of pendulums, I think.

With higher SD, you have less fails on finding water for instance.

Well now I wouldn't call pan-filling a scam. It can be a very repetitive task.

Hot food cooking is certainly useful at higher levels for better ql food. Granted I have a char on Love path, so haven't bothered with the need to eat for years.

Mind Logic is nothing to sneeze at.

Far as SD goes, sure its not as big a factor as people once believed; however, one never knows how future patches and major features will go. Consider it a side benefit.

Edited by Klaa