Sign in to follow this  
NESGamepro

Soul Depth Useless for Priests?

I bought a priest that had 70 SD for some crazy amount of euros, almost necked myself when I found out about this lol. Oh well, still does amazing casts anyway with 97+ chan

• Like 1

It's nice to see more and more people coming to similar conclusions. I still have yet to find any proof that Soul Depth has any use for the Power, Skill or Difficulty formulas with religious spells. I've always been a skeptic as to it's use over the years, due to the lack of any statistical difference or even any trending in my previous logs when I made the jump from 22 SD to 32 SD. Considering how many logs that includes, and the sudden surge in code monkeys scouring the server.jar - I think it's safe to say that SD's value lacks.

I have some other thoughts to input, but I'd rather wait and see if my tests work our on Wurm Online first, before I make any conclusions of my own. I'm still not sold that Wurm Unlimited code is 100% accurate for Wurm Online. One particular issue has to do with the hard cap for bonuses. I'm not sold on whether or not that is how it works in Wurm Online. Don't forget there is a LOT of server code being imported from the wurmonline.come servers. Obviously it's done this way to obfuscate us in our endless quest to know everything there is to know about Wurm.

Simply put, I need a lot more data before I can make a decision.

As for Mind Logic. People are misinterpreting what it's used for in the code. It's used as the primary casting stat for non-religious spells in place of Channeling. I assume this includes Sorcery and Meditation.

It's not used in the Power, Skill or Difficulty formula for Religious/Priest Spells. If it is, you'll need to point out the line in the code for me. I can't find it. The ones I found all had !="religious" infront of it.

!= means "not used"

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 2

Maybe one day we'll have a complete list of all the things that characteristics do affect.

That would be nice.....

• Like 9

Maybe one day we'll have a complete list of all the things that characteristics do affect.

See that would involve communication from Rolf.  Keep holding your breath!

• Like 1

Stats do no effect priests,  Religion and channeling- max them out, youll find 80-100 casts across the board, CoC is buged, very tough to cast over 70. In short, priests need fixed, they whole system seems borked.

Couldn't care less about the topic(don't like priests),but this is awesome to watch..i mean..come on!! what other games have so much mystery and so many ways!! Love it!!

• Like 3

Some are saying religion skill does something. After reading through this thread I am still unclear if this is true. Sounds like it contributes to the bonus to determine effective channelling. Anyone able to clarify this?

Isn't the challenge code different from the regular code in terms of leveling to begin with? Didn't challenge get it's own set of code? Why do you guys believe that the WU code is an exact mirror to the WO code and that how things work there are exactly how things work here?

• Like 1

i honestly thought people knew about this and the differences between channeling/SD already. we talk about it all the time when helping new players train up their priest alts.

figured it was common knowledge

well, if you wanna go there......Why did they apparently change parry rates...? Lol

if you wanna go there, the devs care more about you knowing parry rates than people having access to the password hashing algorithm? hmm?

• Like 1

Isn't the challenge code different from the regular code in terms of leveling to begin with? Didn't challenge get it's own set of code? Why do you guys believe that the WU code is an exact mirror to the WO code and that how things work there are exactly how things work here?

no, the challenge code is part of wurm, it just checks isChallengeServer to determine what to use during runtime

Stats do no effect priests, Religion and channeling- max them out, youll find 80-100 casts across the board, CoC is buged, very tough to cast over 70. In short, priests need fixed, they whole system seems borked.

Lol... What? CoC and Nimb is what I cast 80-90 on all the time, WoA I have slightly less luck, and MS being a tota pain.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm still trying to process it all.

Seems like the consensus is SD does nothing for casting but ML is still up for debate? I'd still really like if someone posted the actual code, unedited except for formatting even if it's hard to interpret.

While it's enjoyable to see rumours about the rumours spread and evolve into new rumours the thing is this:

The devs were the ones who started the "SD's importance for casting" talk. After one of Rolf's "tweakings" of the spellcasting it was announced in the launcher news that the soul depth and soul strength characteristics would have an impact on casting. It was never mentioned to what extent or whether or not it was removed in any of the thousand following tweaks.

• Like 4

While it's enjoyable to see rumours about the rumours spread and evolve into new rumours the thing is this:

The devs were the ones who started the "SD's importance for casting" talk. After one of Rolf's "tweakings" of the spellcasting it was announced in the launcher news that the soul depth and soul strength characteristics would have an impact on casting. It was never mentioned to what extent or whether or not it was removed in any of the thousand following tweaks.

Trust me it's all WKM's fault!! : P
  • Like 4

• Like 1

I did notice this awhile ago when i raised my priests SD from 23-40 that i didnt have any difference in casting, but it was always talk that SD does it and so much cash thrown into raising it so yeah we all accepted it like that

Now this also made me wonder how many things are out there that we are convinced that do something but it doesnt, we just take it for granted, meh that is wurm life i guess.

Can someone explain me the throwing hot water thing, whats the thing with it i was away for some time.

12 hours ago, Sin said:

I did notice this awhile ago when i raised my priests SD from 23-40 that i didnt have any difference in casting, but it was always talk that SD does it and so much cash thrown into raising it so yeah we all accepted it like that

Now this also made me wonder how many things are out there that we are convinced that do something but it doesnt, we just take it for granted, meh that is wurm life i guess.

Can someone explain me the throwing hot water thing, whats the thing with it i was away for some time.

MOST Skills only rely on the skill itself to actually succeed. That and sometimes a bit of character weight/speed and spell effects~

One thing to consider is that it looks like SD does sod all for casting now.

There is no reason that at some point in the past it was used as a bonus but then taken away to make casting harder. Rolf has pruned back cast power output at least three times I can think of. This could have been a casualty of one of those prunings.

I would almost, almost go with the Mind Logic being applicable instead because I was considered a strong caster and I had over 50 mind logic before I first priested. Had reasonable SD from lots of farming too but my ML was way ahead.