Sign in to follow this  
NESGamepro

Soul Depth Useless for Priests?

Even if SD did contribute to enchanting, the bonus for channeling is easily capped out by having max alignment and only 29 faith bonus.  Even the deed enchanting bonus is worthless in this regard.

Prove it.

I don't think soul depth has anything to do with the pendulums.  But if you ever think something helped you get there, it won't be disuaded easily.

Prove it.

This is transcribed from the server code, as described to me by coders who are actually competent with that sort of thing.  Code like this has been used to make simulators that accurately predict results in the live game before we even try anything, and has been utilized for bug reports as they are found.

1. enchanting is a skillcheck with effective channeling and spell difficulty

2. effective channeling is derived from channeling skill and your channeling bonus

channeling bonus:  (absolute value of alignment - 49) + faith bonus + deed bonus + (religion skillcheck / 10)

if bonus > 70, bonus is set to 70

effective channeling skill:  skill + ((bonus/100) * (skill vs (((100+skill)/2) - skill), whichever is lower))

It's very easy to cap out the channeling bonus, as max alignment provides 51/70, and a meager 29 faith bonus will not only cap out the channeling bonus, but cancel out the effects of a -10 from a poor religion roll.

• Like 9

What is Faith Bonus?

Edited by Noizhead
  • Like 1

effective channeling is derived from channeling skill and your channeling bonus

Can you be a little more specific here?  Is effective channeling an average of skill and bonus?  added together?  How is this part "derived"?

Please do remember that rolf's rng system for skillchecks is rather entertaining, It rolls a random based on a gaussian distribution with a given mean and variance, then rolls another with the same mean and a smaller variance, Then if the one from the larger variance is too far from the other (more than 70 above or 130 below iirc) then it says nope that was too random and tries again, It does this up to ONE HUNDRED TIMES before deciding "I cba to make nice random numbers for you" and gives up resulting in a failure. If people want an idea its around a 1-2% chance to get a 90+ cast at 90 channeling with 0 bonus, I might try to make a chance calculator or similar but I have a feeling it might just end up involving a lot of simulations and fitting data to a trend, at least for some things like fighting.

• Like 3

effective channeling skill:  skill + ((bonus/100) * (skill vs (((100+skill)/2) - skill), whichever is lower))

So if my skill is 100 then (((100+100)/2)-100) = 0

So the bonus does nothing. I guess this means that the max effective skill is 100 and that as you channeling gets higher all the village bonus stuff and alignment being high means less and less.

So if my skill is 100 then (((100+100)/2)-100) = 0

So the bonus does nothing. I guess this means that the max effective skill is 100 and that as you channeling gets higher all the village bonus stuff and alignment being high means less and less.

It would mean that the bonus is to close the effective gap between your skill and 100

what is the religion skillcheck? is that overall Religion skill or something else?

what is the religion skillcheck? is that overall Religion skill or something else?

Religion does a skillcheck with the spell's difficulty, and the result (which always lands between -100 and 100) is divided by 10.  The server then adds either 0 or the religion skillcheck's result (depending on which is higher) to your channeling bonus, which increases your effective channeling skill.  Although every action is different, this is similar to how other dependent skills--like Smithing or Shields--provide a bonus to other skillchecks.

Since a skill's bonus is always capped at 70, and channeling adds so many static values to your bonus, the religion skillcheck only really comes into play with channeling/enchanting if you are in a place with no faith or deed bonus.

*looks at Alex*

As far as I can tell, soul depth's only effects are being your primary skill for using pendulums, serves as a skill requirement for reaching focus level 5 (need 25 sd according to mayRaiseFightLevel(), but this appears to not be working properly as I'm able to reach fight level 5 on a 23 sd account), and is a requirement for becoming certain types of champs.

It appears to have no affect on casting ability or enchant power.  Sorry everybody...

Edited by Alexgopen

This is great news to me.  I started a new priest a couple weeks ago and was dreading panfilling.

Woohoo!

I'd like a dev to say SD isn't changed from WO to Wu personally.  So we know without having to waste months trying.

if they would change anything to hide mysteries......it would be priest.  and SD would be a perfect target.

I'd like a dev to say SD isn't changed from WO to Wu personally.  So we know without having to waste months trying.

if they would change anything to hide mysteries......it would be priest.  and SD would be a perfect target.

There is other much, much, much more important stuff that they were too lazy to change or remove...

• Like 2

There is other much, much, much more important stuff that they were too lazy to change or remove...

well, if you wanna go there......Why did they apparently change parry rates...? Lol

well, if you wanna go there......Why did they apparently change parry rates...? Lol

Sure thats not a side-effect of faster timers on everything or something?

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

What effects the faith bonus?

How is it calculated?

Just standing within the altar influence of your god. Altar quality.

Just standing within the altar influence of your god. Altar quality.

does altar type matter?

does altar type matter?

in WO Gold does give a slight more benefit. (very, very, little)

And going by other peoples post, sounds like you don't even need a high ql altar...(?) so that won't really matter.  just use what you like. (I've always used SIlver) Doing fine on my 94.5chan 76sd priest today. lots of good enchants. 

• Like 1

What if this is just a fabrication from the players with high SD priests to take over the market by telling everyone else that SD doesn't do anything?

• Like 1

What if this is just a fabrication from the players with high SD priests to take over the market by telling everyone else that SD doesn't do anything?

Considering everything else found in the code that was the same (and we did not know IE throwing hot water) it's safe to say SD does jack . It's all about that Mind Rogic when grinding channeling up.