Sign in to follow this  
Tobius

[SOLVED] WurmServerLauncher.exe not executing

I have installed the Wurm Unlimited Dedicated server using steamcmd but when I double click on "WurmServerLauncher.exe" nothing happens. I am running Windows Server 2012 R2.

SOLVED! - MSVCR100.dll is missing means you need vcredist_2010. MSVCR120.dll is missing means you need vcredist_2013. If nothing happens when you click on WurmServerLauncher install vcredist_2013. That should at least give you the error that vcredist_2010 is missing. Then after you install that you should be all good to go.

EDIT: I am not seeing any errors, or getting any sort of GUI to show.

EDIT: After running the dedicated server once from Steam, the version installed via steamcmd now works. When running the dedicated server through steam a messages was displayed stating that it was installing "Microsoft VC Redist Package" so I am now investigating which package needed to be installed for the server to launch.

EDIT: It looks like the 2013 / 2012, x64 / x86 Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages were what Steam installed. I'm now testing installing those on a new machine to see if that gets the SteamCmd install of the Dedicated Wurm server to run.

Edited by Tobius
  • Like 1

I think the first thing I would check is whether firewall is allowing it to launch. 

There are two versions of this file:

\steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher\

\steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\

I believe the second one is the crucial one, and is usually triggered/launched  by having the "use dedicated server" checkbox ticked. I forget now whether Steam automaticlally downloads and installs this second location (I had to fight a few days to get it running myself)/ I am also not sure what implications WS12R2 adds. Does it use Windows Firewall or some more stringent server based security programs? You might need to wait and see whether someone running WU + WS12R2 can help; I know there has been an upsurge lately  for this OS so probably there are some geeky types who know whether it complicates any steps.  I think I remember Ago stating in another thread that you needed to check for firewall allowing the java located in  \steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\runtime\bin\   I will see if I can find that thread again as I believe the symptom he was addressing were the same as yours (ie, "nothing happens")

** edit: I went back to recheck, and that issue was different had to do  with  the server starting up but never appearing in the server list, which is a different issue than yours. Let me look around some more, especially is there are any WS12R2 specific issues. 

Some pertinent threads for you to check:

Msvcp120.dll missing on Windows Server 2012

https://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/4/483368526585825958/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132607-missing-msvcp120dll-for-dedicated-server-setup/?p=1362783

They are getting a popup error and you are not, but I keep seeing this same error showing up for people running windows server 2012 and not being able to launch  "WurmServerLauncher.exe"

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I think the first thing I would check is whether firewall is allowing it to launch. 

There are two versions of this file:

\steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher\

\steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\

I believe the second one is the crucial one, and is usually triggered/launched  by having the "use dedicated server" checkbox ticked. I forget now whether Steam automaticlally downloads and installs this second location (I had to fight a few days to get it running myself)/ I am also not sure what implications WS12R2 adds. Does it use Windows Firewall or some more stringent server based security programs? You might need to wait and see whether someone running WU + WS12R2 can help; I know there has been an upsurge lately  for this OS so probably there are some geeky types who know whether it complicates any steps.  I think I remember Ago stating in another thread that you needed to check for firewall allowing the java located in  \steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\runtime\bin\   I will see if I can find that thread again as I believe the symptom he was addressing were the same as yours (ie, "nothing happens")

** edit: I went back to recheck, and that issue was different had to do  with  the server starting up but never appearing in the server list, which is a different issue than yours. Let me look around some more, especially is there are any WS12R2 specific issues. 

Some pertinent threads for you to check:

Msvcp120.dll missing on Windows Server 2012

https://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/4/483368526585825958/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132607-missing-msvcp120dll-for-dedicated-server-setup/?p=1362783

They are getting a popup error and you are not, but I keep seeing this same error showing up for people running windows server 2012 and not being able to launch  "WurmServerLauncher.exe"

Thank you for the information! Unfortunately even installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package when double clicking WurmServerLauncher.exe nothing is happening. I'm in the process of rebooting the server I'm working on, and then I'm going to try getting the server to run the "normal" way by logging into Steam and downloading and running the server through Steam to see if that works.

I will update my mail post if I uncover anything new.

Edited by Tobius

Check also the pinned threads here, as I believe a lot of the Wurm developers are actually more active on the steam forums (since they have many more people there to help. ie, you might be more likely to get an actual dev rather than a random bystander like me ;) )

This thread especially

Common issues & Fixes

http://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/4/483368526574240510/

It seems to me that the  jvm.dll issue in particular  has been causing a lot of people issues. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Check also the pinned threads here, as I believe a lot of the Wurm developers are actually more active on the steam forums (since they have many more people there to help. ie, you might be more likely to get an actual dev rather than a random bystander like me ;) )

This thread especially

Common issues & Fixes

http://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/4/483368526574240510/

It seems to me that the  jvm.dll issue in particular  has been causing a lot of people issues. 

Awesome, thank you very much Brash. I have solved the issue and updated my original post with the solution!