Sign in to follow this  
Xandaros

Unable to parse jnlp file

Hello,

Whenever I try to launch Wurm now (Haven't played in a long time, so not sure since when exactly I have this issue), it comes up with this error message: 

xandaros@MELON Downloads> javaws wurmclient.jnlp 
netx: Read Error: Could not read or parse the JNLP file. (Invalid XML document syntax. (XML Parse Exception during parsing of the XML definition at line 1: Expected: '<' but got: ''))

In the window that pops up, it shows the same when I click on java console. However, there is a space inside the quotes after "but got", which makes me think it is some control character that my terminal just doesn't display.

I have looked at the jnlp file with a hex editor and removed any characters in front of the first '<', but to no avail. (There actually was a weird 0xEFBBBF there, it works neither with nor without that)

I have also tried other copied of the wurmclient.jnlp I had lying around that definitely used to work - same issue.

I even tried converting the line endings from dos to unix, but I had a feeling that wouldn't do anything :D

I have tried downgrading icedtea-web. I was using 1.6.1, which is the newest version, but I have also tried 1.6 and 1.5.2, always the same issue. (Those are the version I had in my cache, I can try building an older one if someone is using it and it definitely works for them)

So... I'm at a loss here. What do I do now? (I'm running out of upkeep, too! :()

Edit: Oh yes, of course I checked the permissions, too. I even tried setting it to 666, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Xandaros

I know far too little about technical things to judge whether that's the reason for your problem but here it is anyway:

Wurm uses Java 8, and I think IcedTea isn't yet (?) Java 8 compliant.

Hmm, but surely it should be able to at least read the jnlp?

Anyway, I managed to start the game by downloading all the resources linked in the jnlp file and starting the game manually.

(Not sure what magic that commons-httpclient is, but I needed that, too, even though it was not mentioned in the jnlp. wut?)

Not ideal, but I guess I can at least play now.

As Eobersig said, openjdk 8 still does not properly work with the jnlp web thing. Wurm require java 8, if you install the oracle java 8 it works fine.

I remember once having problems with some bytes at the end of each line that makes it impossible to parse. Please check with a Hex-Editor or an editor of your trust if the line endings does not contain any additional bytes.

PS: I'm running the stable client with openjdk-8 and it does have a better performance than it does with oracle java8