Sign in to follow this  
Sia

Starting server with "use dedicated server" checked resets characters

So my friend and I have been playing on a private server, just the two of us, since the release of WU. I recently found out that running a server with "use dedicated server" means you can open the game client without having to close/open the server again (so that Steam won't say "game is already running" even when the client has been exited and only the server is left running).

However, just now when I loaded the same server we always play on but with "use dedicated server" checked (which we had as uncecked before), our characters reset and we spawned somewhere else. All the skills were back to 'starter' skills and we got to choose gender and appearance and all of that again, so like a total reset. When I opened the server again without "use dedicated server", everything was back to normal, our characters where we last left them and skills like we grinded up.

Is there a solution to this? I tried to find if there's some kind of character save file or something we can somehow transfer (though I don't know where to transfer it to either) so that we can run the server with "use dedicated server", but couldn't see anything that looked like such a file.

Would be nice not to have to restart the server every time I disconnect or every time I need to relog to change a setting, so does anyone know if it's possible to keep the exact same server and characters even with "use dedicated server" checked, when previously unchecked?

Edited by Sia

Copy C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher\Adventure to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\Adventure

Copy the whole folder and everything in it over.

The thing is there are two server folders on your computer because i had the same trouble. One of the server folders is included in the game client download and is what is used when you don't have the dedicated server checked.

The other one is the one you downloaded using the test section on steam and it downloads a dedicated server folder that is separate from the one you have included in the game client files. This is the one that is used when you do have the use dedicated server thing checked and is why they are two separate worlds. 

To stop the launcher saying you already have a game open go into your game client file and find the "WurmServerLauncher" folder and in there will be a "WurmServerLauncher" application with a W icon at the bottom put a copy of that on your desktop and use that to start your server with then use the launcher like always to start your game. 

I am not real sure why they have two server files like that but they do, lol 

Edited by Kegan