Sign in to follow this  
Llurendt

Default Portal Setup

Has anyone been able to work at all with default portals or know how to set them up? I imagine it might have something to do with the information in the set data section, but I can't find any documentation on it anyplace. Any ideas?

As you posted this, i am planning to look into how these work tonight.

I am going into this blind, ill let you know my findingds.

My server set-up will be a 2 island cluster on 1 pc and a single one on another....

Edited by bigsteve
  • Like 1

Sounds good! Let me know what you find out... as of right now, what I see happening is that

this.portal = NULL in portalquestion.class

I found this due to the message it pops up when you try and use the portal. I'm just crawling through the class files trying to figure it out at this point, haha.

Just a thought, May be rolf disabled them in WU, seeing as the would be no need using as there is no cluster to cluster connectivity.

It's possible, but I think it is more likely that because of how rare portals are used in WO that they are just not user friendly to set up and require changing some file somewhere that we just aren't aware of currently, haha.

Sorry did not have time this weekend....

With some important goal reached in WO and a bithday party....

• Like 1

I'd like to figure this out as well. I have 2 servers Freedom/Epic. Freedom is my login server. I'd like a way to choose a faction when heading to epic as opposed to staying Freedom. I think the epic portals would allow this?

• Like 1

It seems that way, but I can't for the life of me figure portals out. :/

I'm currently working on portals.

Currently they may work if you set data1 to the server ID you intend for a portal to lead to, but there will be weirdness due to several Wurm Online specific checks in the portals code.

This is not the portals mod I was working on.

Once I'm done and my changes are approved, I will create a document on how they will work for the wiki. :)

• Like 1

Keenan, will you also work on the portals so we can travel inside one server? Its interessting if you have large maps

I have a working portal one of  my servers...

This portal transfers players to my HoTA area. The server is an Adventure server.

To make it work, I had to setup a 'hidden' mission with the mission ruler to teleport the user to the required co-ordinates on use.

Hope this helps

I have a working portal one of  my servers...

This portal transfers players to my HoTA area. The server is an Adventure server.

To make it work, I had to setup a 'hidden' mission with the mission ruler to teleport the user to the required co-ordinates on use.

Hope this helps

You aren't using the portal objects to do so, though, are you? Just a quest trigger basically?

I'm attempting to set up portal to portal travel using the actual portal objects on separate servers. (i.e. Huge Epic Portal) I put the server IDs in data1 and from the PvP (non-login) server, I still get the (no matter what you do) message, but when I click send as a GM, it will show towns from the PvE (login) server as potential targets, but nothing happens when I click send again. From the PvE server, nothing happens at all after the first send (no matter what you do message).

I created the portal on my deed (used the red glowy crystal one)

Then I setup hidden triggers and effects to make the player teleport yes.

This is PURELY single server teleport (point a to point b on same map), but it works... and until/unless a dev comes right out and tells us how portals work, this just may be the only way they WILL work....

While testing this method, I also got the 'no matter what you do' message - seems there is a hard coded timer between portal use no matter if it works or not. (at least, that's how it seemed to me)

Can you setup multiple Portals objects.

My vision is at the started deed in my private server. 

Setting a Portal Naming it after a deed having it port (using x,y coordinates) people to that deed. And setting one up at the Deed for a return port back. 

And doing this for each Town/deed.

Or is that not how it can be setup? 

I to am trying to do this but could not get the mission to work. could you tell me what boxes you selected in the trigger and what ones in the effect please.

Lucifer, it seems you managed to get point to point teleportation set up and it is certainly a nice workaround for intra-server movement, but it still does not (and maybe can not) address inter-server travel. It also doesn't actually make portals work. It may, however, be a step in that direction. :)

I don't suppose there's an instruction book somewhere that shows you exactly how to set up for single person player on your own computer? I am horribly tech challenged and can't even make the game start :/

I'm not sure why people are asking for a dev to come out and explain how they work. :) I've said several times that they don't work because they are hard-coded to Wurm Online. Things such as assuming what server ID the epic cluster starts at, and assuming that the "login server" or "entry server" is a one-way trip - just to name a few.

I'm still working on a replacement, and will try to offer as much flexibility and functionality as I can.

• Like 1

What don't make since is releasing game objects in a release with no functionality. AKA the portal this should have been removed from the WU if they are not ment to be used. Down side is if a mod is used there will be  100's of times they will be broke till mod get's updated. This is a poor solution. Rolf needs to fix it so players can program them or remove them from WU altogether.

This is like hanging a carrot on a stick in front of a horse. It is cruel cause if the item is there players are going to want to use it.

Edited by Arkonick

9 hours ago, Arkonick said:

What don't make since is releasing game objects in a release with no functionality. AKA the portal this should have been removed from the WU if they are not ment to be used...Rolf needs to fix it so players can program them or remove them from WU altogether.

I really feel that you under estimate the reasoning Rolf had to releasing the challenge code for Wurm Unlimited. 

On 06/11/2015 at 8:54 AM, bigsteve said:

Just a thought, May be rolf disabled them in WU, seeing as the would be no need using as there is no cluster to cluster connectivity.

I hope not.  Portals,  used sparingly, can be a great asset on large maps.  Anyone remember Asheron's Call?  Awesome scale and the portals made it even more interesting.