Sign in to follow this  
Uberknot

Finally figured it out....Making in game map.

It took awhile.....but I finally got to editting my in game map :P

2lv1p8n.png

• Like 1

now instead of teasing us,give us a nice tutorial how to do that!!!!!! XD

Well you need 7zip and then you use it to open the graphics.jar file in the WU launcher/packs folder.

C:\Users\********\Desktop\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\packs\

then you look for the graphics.jar and open it, then find the folder gui\testmaps ( maps in there ) then open the map you are seeing in game outside of 7zip. ( you can open and view the maps just by clicking them in the folder. )

which will pop it up in windows viewer, after that you would open it with a paint editor like GIMP or something you can use layers

Now you have the map you want to edit you would use the paint brushes to fill over the name and map that's on there so you can replace it.

Here is where you would take your custom map and open it with GIMP and then use the color select tool and click on the water that will outline your land mass.  then you invert the selection and copy it this copies the land mass.  I had to resize the the custom map to 580x580 before i did this so it would fit on the map.

Now you go back to your open map you prepared and paste the land mass image you copied and move it where you want.

Last you would go to the text area and select a text color you want and size and type in your maps name. :)

what I did was export it to the desktop as a png and then i just dragged it into the open 7zip testmaps folder and replaced it.

that worked I for me am sure there is a way to just save it into the 7zip folder after modifying it. It  has to export as .png

I am sure I could have done a better job.....but I just wanted to get it to work the first time! :D

so basically...

1. open 7zip  

2. find the Wurm Launcher packs folder and open it.

3. open graphics.jar file

4. goto gui/testmaps and find the map you see in game.

5. open map with paint program that uses layers.

6. edit map

7. open custom map with paint program in new window.

8. select by color and click water and then invert the selection and copy.

9. paste selection on in game map and merge layers.

10. select color and type in name where you want and merge layers.

11. export finish map as (ingame Name).png

12. save into the gui/testmaps folder with 7zip

It should work.....I would save things along the way as well just in case you have to redo the blank map.

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 2

/me wishes every private server didn't need to distribute a modified graphics.jar file which is over 1gb in size.

/me wishes every private server didn't need to distribute a modified graphics.jar file which is over 1gb in size.

Well it has to be replaced......and that's the only way unless you want to give people an online map.

Maybe someone will make an auto replace mod where you just click the map and it works...

But I had to replace the Freedom,png on my server because that's what comes up when i press map, so you'll have to know which .png it is in there to replace.

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 1

Well that's one way to do it!

Here's a more complex way of doing it without overwriting any existing graphics files. This involves editing mappings.txt and /xmls/mapunlimited.xml in graphics.jar as well as editing a sql database entry in wurmlogin.db

First things first: Close your client and shutdown your server.

1. Generate your map graphic (920 x 620 is the standard I think) save as PNG and drop it into /gui/testMaps in graphics.jar

2. Using a SQL database editor/browser (I use DB Browser of SQLite) and in the Servers table find the "mapname" heading. Change the entry to something, I just use my server's name (Blackwell). Write/Commit changes, at this point you can restart your server.

3. Extract 'mappings.txt' and open it up with a text editor.

4. While I believe you can put this anywhere in the file, I put it right under the entry for havenord:

map.(your map name)         = gui/testMaps/(your map graphic's name).png

Here's what mine looks like (map.blackwell)

14b58d250a.png

5. Save and close, and open up mapunlimited.xml using a text editor.

6. Select and copy <Havenord> to </Havenord> and paste below.

7. Rename the copied <Havenord> entries to whatever your server is named.

8. Make sure to change the <mapTextureName> entry to the entry you created in mappings.txt.

Here's what mine looks like after editing:

68ef88d0c7.png

Finally save mapunlimited.xml and place mappings.txt directly into graphics.jar root and mapunlimited.xml back into the /xmls/ folder in graphics.jar.

Hopefully when you log into your server and open up the map you should see something like this:

62fa0b0c47.jpg

I know I'm not the greatest at explaining things but hopefully this gives some insight.

Edited by Karthannar
  • Like 3

On 11/6/2015 at 8:31 AM, Uberknot said:

Well you need 7zip and then you use it to open the graphics.jar file in the WU launcher/packs folder.

C:\Users\********\Desktop\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\packs\

But...  This doesn't work with "Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server" as far as I can tell because is no /packs folder and there are no .jar files included either.  They ARE in the "WurmLauncher, but that isn't where my server map is.

I'm a little puzzled...

1 hour ago, Iberis said:

Is this client or server?

Its a client files mod. Will only work for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frozenjim said:

But...  This doesn't work with "Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server" as far as I can tell because is no /packs folder and there are no .jar files included either.  They ARE in the "WurmLauncher, but that isn't where my server map is.

I'm a little puzzled...

For a dedicated server with a custom map, you will have to install Ago's modlauncher and make a map pack to use serverpacks in conjunction with custommap with client modlauncher.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigsteve said:

Its a client files mod. Will only work for you.

Ty bigsteve, thought so but was just checking ^^