Sign in to follow this  
Sila

negative feedback from steam

Wurm is not for your hand it to me type player and never will be the UI won't make a bit of difference what so ever.

I actually like having a UI I can resize move around where I want...so many games it's all fixed and can't move a damn thing.

Resize window is not exclusive to Wurm. There are several games with great interface design and resize/reposition options

Console games and multi platform game usually do not have this options, for some it is not necessary, but there are exceptions.

Final Fantasy 14 is a good example of good interface, 100% customizable on PC and Console. [[ I'm not talking about the game here, this is about the interface ]]

You can redefine size, position, what to show/hide, behaviors, commands remapping, in addition to all the visual elements like damage information, buff/debuff info, spells, party, skills, tooltips, etc. 

100% customizable. Even the HUD customization is easy and intuitive.

Each player can customize te user interface to their personal taste.

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFd3NODKcyo

A game with so many commands, so many options, actions, skills that also works extremely well with controllers is a good example of a well done UI, UX design.

I am not implying that Wurm should have controller support, just showing an interface that works well, besides the complexity of the game, even with controllers which has limited buttons compared to mouse+keyboard combo.

Code Club should invest in hire a UI and UX Designer or a company with good skills/portfolio to rethink and redesign the user interface.

Edited by DioSan

Resize window is not exclusive to Wurm. There are several games with great interface design and resize/reposition options

Console games and multi platform game usually do not have this options, for some it is not necessary, but there are exceptions.

Final Fantasy 14 is a good example of good interface, 100% customizable on PC and Console. [[ I'm not talking about the game here, this is about the interface ]]

You can redefine size, position, what to show/hide, behaviors, commands remapping, in addition to all the visual elements like damage information, buff/debuff info, spells, party, skills, tooltips, etc. 

100% customizable. Even the HUD customization is easy and intuitive.

Each player can customize te user interface to their personal taste.

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFd3NODKcyo

A game with so many commands, so many options, actions, skills that also works extremely well with controllers is a good example of a well done UI, UX design.

I am not implying that Wurm should have controller support, just showing an interface that works well, besides the complexity of the game, even with controllers which has limited buttons compared to mouse+keyboard combo.

Code Club should invest in hire a UI and UX Designer or a company with good skills/portfolio to rethink and redesign the user interface.

yes....

'this game is not for hand holding'

and

'this game should not have 'windowed mode' and 'resized widowed mode' if 'windowed mode' is really completely useless in the first place.

are not the same thing

It takes a bit to get people around here to focus.

Wait, who cares what the Steam sperglings think?

you might not

wurmiams might not

but I assure you those reviews are important.

When I look for a game that appears interesting to me if the overall score is mixed or below AND there are over 1000 reviews I immediately look for something else.

I adore wurm but a lot of wurmians are a bit stuck in the year 2000. There are a TON of great building games out there now

Spot on!

• Like 1

Instead of binding each of those 10 activities to different keys you can now bind Action 1 through Action 5 to key

Edited by yarnevk

DioSan is not spot on, there is no need to use the popup menus  because in addition to the crafting window there is also the action bar which is a left click mouse palette showing the actions you can do with the selected tool on the selected object.

What is lacking is a default keybind that puts number keys as the hotkeys to do what you describe, but you most certainly can edit your keybinds to select the action bar slots exactly as you describe.   Having the default be blank hotkeys rather than the conventional numbered hotbar is because the toolbelt already is defaulted as the numbered hotbar, and that is only because WO did not want to change it's established defaults for WU.  Which makes sense as it should be obvious now that WU is being marketed to ex-WO players rather than new players.

But that should not prevent you from changing your WO habits and using the action bar as your conventional MMO action bar with keycodes.  It certainly would help new players if that was the default.

who said anything about a popup menu?

I think its just reasonable to get rid of 'Windowed Mode' as it doesn't do anything and one should be using 'resizing windowed mode'

In my humble opinion, I think some of these bad reviews come from people that have a difficult time with more complex games. Unfortunately it seems some folks don't seem to have the attention span to stay the course and get to the richness of the game. 

That being said Wurm is not setup with hand holding in mind,  it is more a see what you are made of in the long run survival game.

I also think that trying Wurm Online first should be a pre-requisite for new players, but that is also just my opinion.

Edited by Zelbane

OK here's from a player who doesn't have qualms at blasting CC when they mess up.

Read the negative reviews... mostly 1 or 2 lines:

"Bad graphics!  Couldn't understand it for the hell of it!  I want to kill more than 12 horses an hour!"

Positive reviews, the more balanced ones state pros and cons rather scientifically (term loooosely used).

Every piece of software will always have bad "reviews" of the sort.

The bad reviews you wanna look at are the ones that actually provide information beyond "OMG I hated it you must all diiiiiieeee!!" 

• Like 2

OK here's from a player who doesn't have qualms at blasting CC when they mess up.

Read the negative reviews... mostly 1 or 2 lines:

"Bad graphics!  Couldn't understand it for the hell of it!  I want to kill more than 12 horses an hour!"

Positive reviews, the more balanced ones state pros and cons rather scientifically (term loooosely used).

Every piece of software will always have bad "reviews" of the sort.

The bad reviews you wanna look at are the ones that actually provide information beyond "OMG I hated it you must all diiiiiieeee!!" 

I look at new games pretty much every night just out of curiosity and I can tell you that this doesn't mean much.

All that matters to the game browser is 'what is the meta score on steam' and 'how many reviews total are we looking at.

and as someone (myself) who didn't fall asleep during his statics class I know this is nearly all you need

In my humble opinion, I think some of these bad reviews come from people that have a difficult time with more complex games. Unfortunately it seems some folks don't seem to have the attention span to stay the course and get to the richness of the game. 

That being said Wurm is not setup with hand holding in mind,  it is more a see what you are made of in the long run survival game.

I also think that trying Wurm Online first should be a pre-requisite for new players, but that is also just my opinion.

to be completely frank for a game of its age and for a game that has a fairly high entry point to just get started the review scores are pretty high

To be honest you are just repeating things to bump this thread.

Edited by Uberknot

To be honest you are just repeating things to bump this thread.

your kinda rude on multiple levels that takes some skill

To be fair none of the video or screenshots demonstrate the game controls, UI or the overall flow of the GUI.  Some of the videos are are take from a prospective that you don't normally see as a player. A lot of the in game footage is either things that require lots of people or time to make.

Would it hurt to make a short video that is a better representation of your first experience in Wurm? Cut a tree, dig a few tile flat and build a house. Make sure the prospective is first person like we see when playing the game. Game footage should demonstrate what a player actually experiences.

I recommended WU. However, my basis for doing so was it is the WO experience I've wanted for a very long time.

• Like 2

Most people decide within the first hour of playing whether or not the game is worth playing. If anything the people who quit before having put an hour into it are the most important customers to listen to because they can tell you exactly what made them quit and how it can be prevented.

Not really.  Not with Wurm.  The most they can do is tell you how to make a shiny sparkly game that holds attention for 2 hours.

Wurm is the kind of game you need to spend some time with to really develop a taste for, it's not a casual experience and we're better off if they never bother with people who want shiny graphics over substance.

Is it really a rule that you can't have shiny graphics and substance?  I have found it before in other games and I'm sure there will be other games like it in the future.

so the general agreements on negative comments are:

> buggy

> poorly designed UI

> outdated mechanics

> not newbie friendly

so pretty much the same things people who have been playing for years complain about

it's also hilarious how every negative review or comment is countered with a wall of positive comments and reviews by fanboys as if it validates the poor decisions made in the development of WO and WU and by hilarious I mean outright depressing

Not really.  Not with Wurm.  The most they can do is tell you how to make a shiny sparkly game that holds attention for 2 hours.

Wurm is the kind of game you need to spend some time with to really develop a taste for, it's not a casual experience and we're better off if they never bother with people who want shiny graphics over substance.

She still makes a point.

I know when I look around on steam, I don't pay any mind to the actual amount of times the game has been downloaded. What I do pay attention to is the review %. If a game has more bad reviews than good, I don't even bother trying it.

Ok. Here is another thumbs down from someone who purchased the game. I did not leave a review on Steam, so when calculating negative percentages you can include mine. I give it a negative because I spent  at least 8 hours: changing browsers, downloading and installing java, uninstalling java, downloading again, moving java to different folders, making various changes to the LaunchConfig.

After all that, the game never started a single time. So I got a refund. The only one I have ever applied for. I have disliked nearly half of the games I bought on Steam, but only this one have I refunded. I refunded it strictly because it would not start.

Read the forums on Steam. There are many complaints from people who had a working WU that quit working after a day or two for absolutely no apparent reason. There are numerous complaints about many different problems.

You White Knight types need to understand that a buggy game is the fault of the developers. Stop putting the blame on the buyers. The game has problems and buyers should not have to find work arounds.

I will purchase again if these bugs are at least mostly fixed and, most importantly, it becomes a true single player game. That means No Internet Connection Needed! Had I read more deeply, I would have realized WU requires internet connection and not purchased it to begin with. I only realized it while reading posts in the technical questions forum.

System requirements section does Not state WU requires an internet connection. Why not? Fear of fewer sales?

Edited by Oberrill
  • Like 1

She still makes a point.

I know when I look around on steam, I don't pay any mind to the actual amount of times the game has been downloaded. What I do pay attention to is the review %. If a game has more bad reviews than good, I don't even bother trying it.

I look at the content of the bad reviews, not the percentages.  Complaints about poor graphics are useless.  You like the graphics or you don't, I don't get the fondness people have for blockey 8-bit look alikes, but I certainly wouldn't whine about them.  Complaints about show stopping bugs are something more concerning.

so the general agreements on negative comments are:

> buggy

> poorly designed UI

> outdated mechanics

> not newbie friendly

so pretty much the same things people who have been playing for years complain about

it's also hilarious how every negative review or comment is countered with a wall of positive comments and reviews by fanboys as if it validates the poor decisions made in the development of WO and WU and by hilarious I mean outright depressing

*Buggy?  Name a game released with no bugs.  Bugs are a perpetual experience with any software platform

*Poorly designed UI? It's not the best, it's not the worst.  It gets the job done.

*Outdated mechanics?  Classic mechanics.

*Not newbie friendly?  Well boo friggen who.  Some of us grew up when games actively abused anyone who even dared to try them and every failure cost you real money.  We don't need a game to patronize us, hold our hand and give us a trophy for spelling our names right.

• Like 2

Well some of the negative is deserved and be for you bash me I have a hosted server and have 84 hours in the game so yes i have played. 

Content??? crafting yes, quests no, things to explore no (hills and trees, no settlements abandoned forts nothing). The Pillars of light were half done all that travel and that's it lmao. I spend 90% of my time as the Admin fixing stuff on the map. Roads that just end or take the player off a cliff hidden in trees. I feel like I am playing an early access game not something that has been marketed as a complete game. The game has been out in online form for years and this is just a toned down version of online as the stand alone part id fubar.

Well some of the negative is deserved and be for you bash me I have a hosted server and have 84 hours in the game so yes i have played. 

Content??? crafting yes, quests no, things to explore no (hills and trees, no settlements abandoned forts nothing). The Pillars of light were half done all that travel and that's it lmao. I spend 90% of my time as the Admin fixing stuff on the map. Roads that just end or take the player off a cliff hidden in trees. I feel like I am playing an early access game not something that has been marketed as a complete game. The game has been out in online form for years and this is just a toned down version of online as the stand alone part id fubar.

Yeah adventure map looked rushed, but I think a few modders should have decent maps for that mode soon

Edited by enoofu

I doubt those people ever played Wurm online lol

I remember going through the tutorial for WO way back in 2011 and starting to rage because i couldnt figure out how to craft stuff. Kept trying and trying, perservering through the hardships, met a really cool group of players, started a village, and within a month i was absolutely hooked :)